Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Love That Dog

Boy pours his grief into poetry in moving free-verse gem.

Adult Written byleahanddusty12 May 11, 2009

A must-read-book for everyone 1-100!!!

this book is personly my favorite of all!!! It's great for all ages and it only takes about an hour to read. you know it's a good book when it makes you cry, laugh, smile, or you read it a lot faster than you usually do with most books. I did all of these.
Adult Written byCommonSenseChristian May 3, 2015

Love This Book

We don't know if Jack is a reluctant reader, but he's certainly a reluctant poetry-writer. As he tells his teacher Miss Stretchberry, "Boys don't write poetry. Girls do." When she persuades him to give the art a shot, he comes back with, "Can't do it. Brain's empty." Eventually though, Jack learns to appreciate poetry, and readers do so along with him. Jack explores similes, metaphors, rhythm, and other poetic conventions. They help him deal with the death of his beloved dog Sky, and transition into a new life phase. No cautions at all except the death of the dog, which might upset readers younger than the target audience. Teachers will find tons of poetry prompt fodder inside.

Educational Value
Parent of a 8, 13, and 16 year old Written bydebk190 February 6, 2010

All ages love it

This book sparked an interest in all forms of poetry in our house. I read it to my 8 year old and then reread it to my 13 year old son. We can't wait to read Hate that Cat coming soon.

Educational Value