Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Marcelo in the Real World

Gorgeously moving story about autistic teen.

Parent of a 12 and 15 year old Written bylady of the library March 11, 2010

Wonderful and insightful!

I loved this book, but won't recommend it for our middle school library because of the language. This book gave me new insight into our autistic/ausperger's kids. If you are not concerned about language, go for it.

Adult Written byAaliayah L. March 4, 2018

its ok

I would not recommend this book to a kid who is 11 or below bc it has some things that wouldnt be suitable. Other than all that other stuff this book is ok I guess. If i did read this book when I was 11 my parents wouldnt care bc they would of gave me permission to read it.

Educational Value
Parent of a 10 and 11 year old Written byA P. January 28, 2018

Moving story for everyone--particularly for insights into boys, autistic teens

I read this book myself to see if my son is ready for it -- he's not (age 11) but I can't wait until he's in high school and can enjoy this powerful glimpse into the mind of a teenage boy with autism. There aren't enough books that pay attention to the emotional lives of boys, and Marcello is a kind and thoughtful boy thrust into the "real world." Because his autistic brain keeps him from understanding all the lying and manipulative actions of those in the law firm where he interns, the reader is able to see the danger of his situations before he does. This can be really powerful for teens to read and discuss, imagining what they might do in these situations. There are very mature topics -- it hints at rape/issues of consent, sexual harassment, and explicitly discusses the ways that people and organizations lie to avoid costly lawsuits. The positive messages far outweigh any concerns about language-my rating is entirely based on the subject matter aimed at older kids, not middle schoolers. So this would be ideal for high school students, particularly if they could discuss in a class group or with parents.

Educational Value