Kid reviews for Marcelo in the Real World

Gorgeously moving story about autistic teen.

Teen, 14 years old Written byh8rPatrol December 21, 2010
I think I wanted to cry about 5 times during this book.
Kid, 12 years old March 13, 2010

I feel pity, hope and happiness...

This book focuses on the complex world of autism and the people who have it. In Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco X Stork, seventeen year old Marcelo Sandoval is autistic and can hear a type of music in his head that no one else can hear. His father is determined that he gets a taste of the "real world" and he forces Marcelo to work in the mailroom at his law firm for the summer. There, Marcelo meets his beautiful co-worker, Jasmine and the spoiled and sinister, Wendell. As Marcelo tries to discover what the real world actually is, he learns about love, loss, and hope. My favorite character in this book was definitely Marcelo. His narration style was unique, seeing as he had autism and was different than most people. He seemed so simple, without complications, and his beliefs were so…pure. I felt pity for him, hope, and happiness as the events in the novel unwound. This book, like others about kids with autism, called to me because my brother has autism. These stories often leave me hoping that my brother, too, might be successful in the real world. Marcelo made it seem so confusing and I wondered if that was actually how my brother would feel like once he stepped into the real world. I give this book 5 out of 5 stars for its excellence and clean storyline. I recommend it for ages 12 and up for some swearing and sexual mentions. I loved Marcelo in the real world and if you are anything like I am, you’d love it as well.
Kid, 12 years old February 2, 2012

I highly recommend it

This book really explains about how autistic people may be like. It also can open you up to the "real world." It's a really good book with an interesting plot, although there are some sexual "talks" but is good nevertheless. It's a cute and smart ending.

Educational Value