Parent reviews for March: Book One

March: Book One Poster Image

Am buying books 2 and 3 of this series immediately!

I love that John Lewis was inspired by a comic book based on Martin Luther King's quest for civil rights, and have no doubt that March will go on to galvanize future leaders making gains in social justice as well. This book truly is on par with Maus and Persepolis for historical accuracy, unflinching realism, and cultural ethos. Both my 12-yr olds agree with me.

Excellent compelling real history

This book is an honest and forthright book about Representaitve John Lewis and his participation in the Civil Rights movement. The events and language are harsh but true to life. Our boys started listening to the trilogy (read aloud by parents) when they were 5 and this led to many difficult but necessary discussions about race relations then and now. We have now read all three books and even we're able to hear the authors speak about the impetus for this novel. We continue to reread them. The period that is described in the book is very violent and the language was awful. And I think it is important for families to read this book together.