Kid reviews for Midnight Without a Moon

Exciting, must-read story of black teen in 1955 Mississippi.

No reviews yetAdd your rating

Based on 1 review
Kid, 9 years old January 29, 2018

My Top Reading Picks From 2018 List: Midnight Without A Moon

I am one of those people who, if I hear something good about a book, will read it. This book was one of the extremely good cases. I read in just two or three days not necessarily because it was fast paced but because it was just so good and I just couldn’t stop reading because I wanted to find out what happened next. This book is definitely one of my new favorites this year. I am extremely impressed with how a brand new author like Linda Williams Jackson could have written a story this amazing. It is moving and Unputdownable, with amazing characters, a perfect plot, and more. Plus the educational value here is all over the place in this book. Parents should know there is a bit too much violence for younger tweens to handle, including the brutal murders of several black men for registering to vote or even just talking to white women, possible drownings, some characters are beaten and slapped across the face. Also lots of talk about teen pregnancies. Rose’s mom had her at 15, and Fred Lee at 16. One teenage character sneaks out at night with a boy which ends up getting her pregnant. After the review warned me about this stuff and I started reading the book I suspected which character it would be and I was right. This book is probably appropriate for someone about 12 or 13, and definitely a great recommendation for anyone looking for a new book to read.

Educational Value