Parent reviews for Milkweed

Disturbing book on Holocaust provokes discussion.

Parent of a 17 year old Written byRain -n- Roses November 1, 2009

Adult Written byiholland95 February 6, 2011
I think this is a good book.

Adult Written bybeckieshoestill33 April 9, 2008

Milweed-- 3 1/2 stars

Good Book, not as violent as some Holocaust out there. There still is violence so I wouldn't let any kids under 9 read it. Mostly for ages 11-14. Make sure younger kids understand about the holocaust before they read it because it might scare them even more if they read it and have no clue what its talking about.
Adult Written byMoist H. April 11, 2018

I'D RATHER PLAY FORTNITE XD

Adult Written bydasf April 9, 2008

hey

You guys are stupid for not giving this 5 stars
Adult Written bymoviemadness April 9, 2008
Great book. Younger kids and tweens not okay.
Adult Written by_lilone November 19, 2009
i was actually about 14 or 15 when i read it.. the words are fairly simple and easy to read, so you'd think it's for younger people.. but the things it deals with, are events talked about more in high school.. if i remember correctly. when it's somethign already being spoken about, or somethign they've already been introduced to, the book may not make such a huge impact, though it still had quite an effect on me. i chose 12+ but feel it probably should be more 13 or so +.
Adult Written byValley Tayllore April 9, 2008

I LOVED it!!!!

I loved this book very much! I read it recently. I dont recommend it for younger children AT ALL, but for anyone in their teens it is a great pick. THis book is on a very serious issue and has very shocking and alarming violence, but anyone who is studying or picking this book voluntarily because of an interest in the holocaust et cetera would enjoy it. It shows children reality of what terrible things have very often occured in the past and sometimes you need to be a little tiny bit disturbed to get the full effect of the book, this is just a fact of life. I think it is beautifully written and is a wonderful piece of literature for teens and adults.
Adult Written byiiRevieW March 8, 2016

Good book

I thought this book was good. It wasn't as violent as the other books about the holocaust but it had its moments. Although overall it's worth reading.

Adult Written byquinten.evans December 20, 2011

the most interesting book i've ever read

I read this book in junior high. i found the book intriguing and though it was not based on a true story i found myself trying to feel how the main character felt. the story was great. the author was very descriptive about each character.
Parent of a 18+ and 18+ year old Written bytween teacher April 13, 2011
Milkweed carries the stark reality of how people dehumanized others during the Holocaust. It is disturbing and at times depressing. However, it is a very valuable story. Appropriate for mature-minded eleven and twelve-year-olds, Milkweed should be read by everyone 14 and older.

Parent of a 10 and 11 year old Written bylitmom123 January 28, 2011

Know your kids and read the book first

Yes, this book has tough subject matter, so it's important to know what your kids can handle before you let them read it. Personally, I found the character who smothered children in his belly to be highly disturbing, and had difficulty shaking him from my mind's eye. However, my 11 year old wasn't as nearly as disturbed and was able to read it without any negative repercussions (nightmares or such) We both felt it was an excellent read and written from just the right perspective. Spinnelli is master story teller.

Parent of a 7 year old Written byLady Wordsmith November 3, 2010

Look forward to my children being old enough to read this book

I don't agree with the above review at all really. I think it packs a huge emotional punch, and I connected with the story and with the characters greatly. I think there is a lot of historical context, and a lot of information to be gleaned from the story. It's a good book that shows some of the events of WWII from a slightly different angle. I would recommend that it be read alongside 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas', and both books tell enough of the stories to make children curious about the War, and to encourage them to ask difficult questions.

Parent of a 7 year old Written bybooks are good May 7, 2010

good for any kid interested in wwll

its a good book its about the hoalucaust so it isn't gona be perfect. Jewish boys had to smugle to keep themselfs alive and the Germans were crewl its just a matter of teaching you how wwll was.

Adult Written bymadhtower May 25, 2009

5 out of 10...

Milkweed was not a book I would read again. I think the holocaust is an interesting subject, but Milkweed in my opinion was not very interesting. In Milkweed you see the story in the perspective of Misha a little abandoned boy who doesn’t really know who he is. This book was not my favorite but it was okay, but if you love history I think you’ll enjoy this book. I think this book was a little sad at parts and funny at others. The main reason why I didn’t like it because I think it was not very well written. I believe that this book could have been better. On a scale one to ten this book is a five in my opinion.
Adult Written byReviwer Man May 21, 2009

A Young Boy

This book is about a young street boy who steals food for a living and doesn’t know his own identity. This boy thinks his name’s Stopthief because that’s what everyone calls him when he takes something from them. While trying to steal a loaf of bread Stopthief finds another street boy named Uri who gives him a real identity. Stopthief’s new name is Misha. Misha doesn’t know much about anything, so when the Nazis come he doesn’t know what to do. At fist he looks up to them and wants to become a Nazi, but after a while Misha finds out that that was a bad idea. Later on Misha has to take on the dangers of Starvation, Disease, Nazi Soldiers, and a whole lot more.