All parent member reviews for Mockingbird

Parent Written bykatadams55 May 30, 2011

Great for families with kids on the Autism Spectrum.

(This is my 13 year old daughter's review.) This is one of my favorite books. It's great for kids (like me) who have Autism Spectrum Disorders. The story is about a girl with Asperger's Syndrome who's brother was just killed in a school shooting. I was able to relate to many of the side situations such as misunderstandings with peers, and not wanting to do certain things in P.E. If you have a child on the Autism Spectrum, be sure to get this book for them. This is one of the best books out there. Buy it now. Overall Rating: In for ages 8 and up and an 8.5/10
Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written byJennyS November 30, 2010
Adult Written byEnderX_Ice April 16, 2015

A splendid novel, but some violence is included. Great for the mind

I put too much violence, because you can't ignore the violence that goes on in the book, even though it is not too severe. All in all, it's a great novel for a student in middle school. I wouldn't recommend elementary.
Parent of a 3, 5, 7, 9, 9, and 10 year old Written bytheotherSarah January 16, 2011

Beautifully written, quickly read, surprisingly powerful

Well-written short novel, told in first person by the young main character who has Asperger's syndrome. The reader sees through 10yo Caitlin's eyes as she navigates a world that tilted irrevocably when her older brother was lost to sudden violence. Beautifully written, quickly read, this novel surprised me with its power. Although accessible to younger readers, I would hesitate to have a child younger than 12 read this book without discussing it thoroughly with him.