Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Mockingbird

Moving tale of girl whose brother died in school shooting.

Parent Written bykatadams55 May 30, 2011

Great for families with kids on the Autism Spectrum.

(This is my 13 year old daughter's review.) This is one of my favorite books. It's great for kids (like me) who have Autism Spectrum Disorders. The story is about a girl with Asperger's Syndrome who's brother was just killed in a school shooting. I was able to relate to many of the side situations such as misunderstandings with peers, and not wanting to do certain things in P.E. If you have a child on the Autism Spectrum, be sure to get this book for them. This is one of the best books out there. Buy it now. Overall Rating: In for ages 8 and up and an 8.5/10
Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written byJennyS November 30, 2010
Parent of a 3, 5, 7, 9, 9, and 10 year old Written bytheotherSarah January 16, 2011

Beautifully written, quickly read, surprisingly powerful

Well-written short novel, told in first person by the young main character who has Asperger's syndrome. The reader sees through 10yo Caitlin's eyes as she navigates a world that tilted irrevocably when her older brother was lost to sudden violence. Beautifully written, quickly read, this novel surprised me with its power. Although accessible to younger readers, I would hesitate to have a child younger than 12 read this book without discussing it thoroughly with him.

Educational Value
Adult Written byEnderX_Ice April 16, 2015

A splendid novel, but some violence is included. Great for the mind

I put too much violence, because you can't ignore the violence that goes on in the book, even though it is not too severe. All in all, it's a great novel for a student in middle school. I wouldn't recommend elementary.

Parent Written bySuvorov October 21, 2013

Wow this book is really good!

Holy Cow this book is so stinking good. I just upped my all time favorites list to 20 and I'm not so sure it's going to stay at 20 for much longer; this one is definitely going on it. Just one warning- you might want to have a box of tissue next to you while you read. It has been a long time since a book was so good that I finished it in one evening. I started Mockingbird in the afternoon and finished it at 12:45 AM. I could have finished it in one sitting and in a few hours if I hadn't had kiddos running around and, well, life, but it is a pretty short book and it's a weekend. Yes, I am that sad- I stayed home on a Saturday night to read. And it was totally worth it! And I usually don't go out on Saturday nights anyway, but it would have been totally worth it even if I did. While the book's main plot is about a father and his daughter, who has Aspberger's, and how they deal with the loss of another sibling due to a school shooting, there is so much more. It is a book about communication, getting along, overcoming difficult situations, perseverance, etc. And true to its namesake, To Kill a Mockingbird, it portrays a complicated situation through the eyes of a child. The first thing I liked is that it is named after and inspired by my favorite classic (so far)- To Kill a Mockingbird. The brother and sister relate to those children and sometimes call themselves Jem and Scout. There is even discussion about one of the scenes in the Gregory Peck movie- the scene when Scout diffuses a mob situation. After you read Mockingbird you will understand how that scene is particularly relevant. The beauty of Mockingbird is while the main character has many issues due to her Aspberger's, so many problems she has don't seem to be completely limited to that situation- ...even when I try to Get IT I still don't Get It. p110 I can't count how many times I've felt that way. This quote actually serves a dual purpose in my review- besides the fact that I've felt that way, as I'm sure many others have as well, I guess this one, short quote also sums up the book for me. Not just for Caitlin's story, but for other things as well- Why did those boys go into a school and shoot innocent children? Why did Caitlin's mother have to die? Why don't people want to be Caitlin's friend? Why are people so unsympathetic? Obviously I could go on and on. The parts that were the most difficult to read and made me cry the most, were those involving the father. His wife died a couple of years previously, his son shot in a recent school shooting and he is trying to work his way through the pain and mourning with a child who doesn't understand the finer points of tact and finesse. For example, Caitlin is assigned a project and she decides to do it on the human heart and what happens to it when it is shot. I don't know a lot about Aspberger Syndrome, so I am sure there is a lot more about this book that I don't fully appreciate, but it really is written well and aims to show those of us who don't have Aspberger's the point of view of someone who does. While Caitlin is trying so hard to learn empathy, Erskine is teaching the reader the same exact lesson. And she leaves us with the following message: I hope that, by getting inside her head, readers will understand seemingly bizarre behavior. And I hope that readers will see that, by getting inside someone's head, really understanding that person, so many misunderstandings and problems can be avoided- misunderstandings and problems that can lead to mounting frustration and, sometimes, even violence. p235

Educational Value
Adult Written byRavenflightTheN... December 22, 2015

Two Words: Beautiful Book

This is one of those special books that's truly beautiful. I recommend it for 10 and up. An 8 year-old could probably read it, but A. They wouldn't get some of the themes or B. They might get worries about school shootings, especially after what happened at Sandy Hook a few years back. But if you read it, You won't be disappointed!
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bydenielc July 2, 2018

A must read for kids

This book adds a new dimension for kids and adults about what goes on inside the minds of people with Aspergers, and allows us all to appreciate their differences. It demonstrates persistence and tolerance, and dealing with difficult life experiences. And it’s hilarious. I highly recommend it. Can’t wait for my 10yo daughter to read it now.