All parent member reviews for Moon Over Manifest

Parent of a 11 year old Written byBlueJade March 11, 2011

Historical girls' fiction about World War I and the Depression.

Had to read this since it won a Newbery Award and it was in our house. The novelist intertwines two stories, one about World War I and another about the Depression. If you like girl historical novels that are aimed at older tweens and teens, you will probably like this. The writing is solid, but I think the storyline overall needs tightening. While enjoyable to read, the novel tended to ramble. There's mystery here and a little supernatural. I also read Jennifer Holm's Turtle in Paradise, which was a runner-up for the Newbery. I think hers is more of a kids' book. It's also a historical novel set during the Depression, but this time it's in Key West. Again, Holms rights about her grandmother, as Moon Over Manifest is about the author's relatives. But Holms' writing is lively and more charming and the storyline is much tighter. Boys aren't going to be as bored because the boy characters are a little better developed and the story doesn't ramble. Both characters are semi-orphans, which I guess is appropriate during the Depression. But even though Moon Over Manifest kept me going, as I tried to figure out the story, I wouldn't force this on anyone who doesn't like historical girls fiction.
Adult Written byKvothe February 11, 2011

I think this Newbury selection needs to come with a warning for parents of reluctant readers. I think most reluctant readers need to be grabbed by the story fairly early on and for most reluctant readers I don't think this book will make it. If your reluctant reader loves historical books maybe, have they suffered the loss of a parent, probably.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byreadingtoday February 24, 2011

I like learning from the past and seeing my history through people who may have lived it...

I thought the references to the importance of the stories in our lives. Not just history, but herstory and ourstory and theirstory and mystory.