Kid reviews for More Happy Than Not

More Happy Than Not Poster Image

No reviews yet.

Add your rating

Amazing Book! Not For Kids

This book is absolutely amazing. There is a lot of cussing, sex references, and some violence, but the plot is an emotional rollercoaster, with plot twists. If you are in high school, you should be able to handle this, and should read. I 100% recommend, especially for lgbtq teens.

The plot is a maze

It is a fantastic book it teaches you to enjoy what you have and love is love but warning the book contains mentions of sudoku and weed and sex but not graphic. Will help kids know more about how it is normal to be gay and other people feel this way to

Sad***

This book is amazing. It brings up lots of good topics like safe sex, coming out, and accepting yourself. And as heartbreaking as it is the very real topics of hate crimes, suicide, and racism. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone. Absolutely love this book. Heartbreakingly beautiful.

holy sh*t

Best executed plot twist I've read since Feyre got wit Rhys instead of Tamlin. I threw the book across the room. This is also the first book to make me cry in a long time - it was especially hard since some days I wish I could make myself straight as well, even when my community is supportive. Adam Silvera is absolutely a must read author for gay kids, and while his debut isn't the best written out of his books, it's probably the least restricted and most deeply emotional. The final third feels very loose and unraveling, like it was written in one sitting, which left me a little unsatisfied but probably only adds to the rawness of the story. In terms of content I think you should wait until 14+ because of the sexual content - it's not very graphic but for some reason it felt a lot more mature than even the ridiculously long scenes in Sarah J Maas books, because the sex is pretty much always regretted and done under circumstances that are just messy and bad (like Aaron having sex w/ his girlfriend to try to force himself straight, and Aaron having sex with a guy in a back alley many times and then refusing to admit it ever happened.) Which is great to see in a book since that's what life is really like, but it's a little shocking if you haven't read many books like that.

Gripping, important book

This book is one of the few that have truly affected my life. I read it about eight months ago, and still think of it daily. The story, while sometimes hard to read, is very important. The character does talk about suicide, but never too graphically. There are some discussions of sex, but none that a teenager couldn't handle. This book is important for both LGBTQ+ and straight people to read. LGBTQ+ people who may feel alone need to know that there are people like them, and straight people need to know that their "gay" jokes really do hurt people. Adam Silvera is an amazing author, and I have never read a book of his that I didn't love. Overall, a wonderful and necessary book.

I think it just broke me a little

More happy than not was honestly an unexpected emotional roller coaster ride. The book is depressive, and dark. Which not many people may like. But it's complex and it opens one's eyes to a lot of things. It's one of those books that leaves you reeling for days. I finished the book in a span of few hours, I'm still not over it, I don't think I ever will be over it. It's not at all about just being gay, or coming out as gay, I can't really explain it without spoiling it, but know that you'll maybe probably relate to it one point or the other. It's worth it.

Honestly just depressing.

DNF! I got up to 80% and decided it was just too depressing, and others have said that there is not a positive ending. It is extremely graphic in terms of violence, and is ultimately very depressing. There is a clear description of somebody killing themselves (I won’t spoil anything) and many quotes referencing to suicidal thoughts. Although Adam Silvera has talent for writing, and I live for his other books, this was very disappointing as usually when reading a book, you feel good about it, however this book just left me feeling depressed. The storyline consisted of a cloud without a silver lining. The plot twist is very depressing and won’t leave you feeling positive. However as stated previously, the style of the writing is fantastic, and up to page 150, the storyline is great. In conclusion, I recommend this book if you’re up to feeling down but satisfied for completing another book. Without a doubt, it’s written fantastically with a huge twist - multiple twists in fact - however it does not leave you in a great mood.

Really good

This book had a lot of strong language. Characters get beat up on a train.