Kid reviews for My Side of the Mountain

Gripping, inspiring wilderness-survival adventure.

Teen, 13 years old Written byGabiG July 22, 2014

Why live in the woods?

I think this was a good book about a kid who leaves home to live on his own in the woods. For most this this would seen like an unreality but it did show good survival skills and maturity on Sam's part by living on his own. Good for ages 10 and up.

Teen, 14 years old Written byGinnyjen May 21, 2014

Amazing Book!!

This was one of my favorite books when I was 9 or 10. The book is about Sam, a teenager, running away to live in the wild. He lives of the land, discovering the secrets of things that are not material or man-made. I would highly recommend this book to any kid or tween. It's a really great break from all the material-focused books of this day and age.

Kid, 10 years old May 1, 2015

Beautiful wilderness adventure

This was an amazing book about a 17-year-old boy who runs away from NYC to live in the wilderness. It's adventurous, well-written, and exciting--and barely inappropriate at all! Sure, Sam does some hunting, but it's not graphic...and he clearly explains that his love of animals was countered only by the need for food. Definitely recommended!

Kid, 10 years old July 25, 2015

loved it!!!!!

My Side of the Mountain is a great book. I loved it because it has adventure and survival in it. The story is about a boy who is from New York City trying to survive out in the wild. If you like adventure and survival then this is the book for you. I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byll2017 December 14, 2016

My Side of The Mountain is a great book for young Readers

My Side Of The Mountain My Side of The Mountain is one of my favorite books. This book is exciting because the main protagonist lives in New York City and can’t take the city anymore, so he runs away into the Catskill Mountains with flint and steel, a knife, and other survival items. This book was written by Jean Craighead George. Sam Gribley survives out in the woods living in a hollow tree stump, and he is accompanied by a very annoying weasel and his companion, Frightful the falcon, that he trains and who helps catch food. The first few days of his survival are very frustrating, but once he gets to know the land, he catches trout and traps animals for food. He does really excellent when he watches the hunters shoot a deer and he finds it before the hunters find it. After he and Frightful trap all the rabbits and deer, he makes a jacket from the hides. This book is really entertaining for people who like being outside and really roughing it. Even if you do not like roughing, it it is still a very good book to read. He pretty much does everything to stay alive. Sometimes he walks back to the library to get more knowledge about how to survive. I would rate the book five out of five because there is nothing unrealistic about it. Being a hunter and a fisher, this book makes total sense. I wish there was a hundred more books like this. This is not a book just for kids, adults can read it and enjoy it. The author does a really good job making the end of the chapters good so it is hard to stop. If you read this book, you will actually gain more knowledge about the outdoors and what to do in a survival situation. This will definitely be read year after year.

Kid, 9 years old July 9, 2017

Totes read!

AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kid, 12 years old January 10, 2019

My Side of the Mountain review

Sam Gribley wants to have a go at running away, like many boys of his age. His father, laughing, says "Yes," and expects him to be back the next day, if not that night. But Sam finds a comfortable-looking tree in the wilderness of the Catskill Mountains, which he hollows out and lives in. After a few weeks (and his mother and father have not come to see him) he is living a merry life. A year later, and he is still there, living on fish and berries and eating onion and garlic soup in turtle shells. And his parents have still not come to find him and check that he isn't dead. Finally, TWO WHOLE YEARS later, when Sam is about seventeen years old, his father decides to come and check he's all right. TWO YEARS LATER. And his mother couldn't be bothered and stayed at home. After a couple of days, his dad goes back home. The press are after Sam and he tries desperately to conceal his identity. But after two and a half years of voluntary confinement, having not seen a human for months on end, Sam realises that maybe he WANTS to be found after all. As for my opinion, well, here is a quote: 'We ate Mother's fried chicken. Chicken is good, it tastes like chicken.' I mean, duh! And here is one more: 'The sky was as thick as Indiana bean soup.' Overall, I thought that it was really awful. It was comprised of description upon description upon description of Sam's dinner. Or if not that, then pages upon pages upon pages about the weather. I really, genuinely hated it.
Kid, 10 years old August 29, 2018

Interesting but slow

It’s an adventure story about a boy who runs away to a forest. I liked it but I found the ending disappointing and abrupt.

Teen, 14 years old Written byEllaF48 August 12, 2018