Parent reviews for New Moon: The Twilight Saga, Book 2

Second book in vampire series drips with action and romance.

Parent of a 15-year-old Written bySummertime803 March 8, 2010

My least favorite so far.........

Loved the first novel. This one wasn't very good at all. Bella used every word in the dictionary to describe how terrible she felt. I don't think this sends the right message to us girls. Our world shouldn't stop because we lose a boyfriend. It may be hard at first but this type of pain and anquish shouldn't be glorified for a teenager.
Parent of a 6-year-old Written bytwimom1967 November 19, 2009

Love it--but not for elementary kids.

Love the whole serious, however I know many kids in elementary school who have seen the movie and I do not think its appropriate for them AT ALL. Parents need to pay attention!

Adult Written bykenlynnfaithsarah April 9, 2008

Not as good as Twilight

While I enjoyed this book, it was not as good as Twilight. Also, there were times I just wanted to slap Bella and tell her to get on with her life (when Edward left), but I do remember just how hard that is to do when your heart is broken.
My biggest complaint is that Edward wasn't in this book enough.
If you haven't read Twilight, READ IT FIRST.
Parent of a 9 and 10-year-old Written byBonna May 22, 2012

Twilight Saga: New Moon

The second book in the popular Twilight Series has some mild violence.

Parent of a 9, 12, 14, and 18+-year-old Written bySusan R. March 21, 2011

Fluff and nonsense

More drama, more whining, more lies from Bella to everyone she knows. She also engages in self destructive behavior because Edward left. Bella begins a somewhat romantic relationship with Jacob, leading him on then dumping cold water on his head.

Edward is also a drama king, with his "I'm going to stand in the sun at noon and sparkle so the Volturi will kill me." Why not just walk right up to Aro and start a fight? But then Alice wouldn't get to steal a car. :/

Then the Cullens and Bella leave the Volturi to eat the tourists. I have a moral objection to that.

Plot holes galore, with vampires who sparkle in the daytime traveling by air from WA to Italy and back. Alice's powers are simply a plot device. Victoria's obsession with Bella makes no sense, and her ability to elude the werewolves and vampires is ludicrous. And did Bella quit going to school?

Again- read it with your kids if you must so that you can help them become critical thinkers and intelligent readers. You don't want them to think that because these novels are popular money makers that they are quality literature.
Parent of a 1, 3, and 4-year-old Written bysocietynnhearts September 19, 2010

es horrible.

I've read it, but it was so full of ugh. worst book ever. for real.

Adult Written byAslynima September 6, 2010

Read it before you allow your child to.

In this installment of the saga, Bella becomes even more morbid than before. Her whole life is centered around Edward, and she decides to be very daring to see him again. Bella's mental health is a great way to talk to your kids about how a relationship should be. I think this series is a great way to open up to your kids about things such as sex, love, drugs, consumerism, and violence. Would definitely let my child 11+ read.

Adult Written byAmorette March 18, 2010
This is educational in the way that it teaches young women not to be so emotionally dependent on their boyfriends because of the way it can feel like "your world is ending" when you break up.
But that's only if they look past the fact that it's Edward. And it's also kind of a difficult concept for a younger child to wrap their head around.

It would be a good topic for a mother to talk to her daughter, after they both read it, about how those kind of relationships can be so self-destructive.

Parent of a 8 and 11-year-old Written bylmg95 December 7, 2009

good for older kids

this is ok for older children

Parent of a 7 and 12-year-old Written byCV_Airwin November 13, 2009

Parent of a 10-year-old Written bymickeylova123 November 10, 2009
Ny daughter read this book and told me there were a couple bad words. Either than that it is educational because it is a book and all books are educational.

Adult Written bynerdstotallyrock October 24, 2009

Great for teens, but iffy for tweens

I just love the whole Twilight series! I read them when I was 12, and I don't think that kids should really be any younger than that because they would appreciate it more when they are older. Great book, it almost made me crey at one point

Adult Written byproud-ravenclaw October 22, 2009

Suckish story with lame morals

Bella gets depressed when her (sparkly) boyfriend leaves her. She's like a black hole. Bella does dangerous things because she can hear Edward's voice inside her head. When there's a possibility that Edward can come back, Bella completely dumps Jacob.
Adult Written bysparky481 October 20, 2009

HATE

hate it thats it final
Adult Written byfaiiryy. October 8, 2009
best book out of the saga! This deals with the loss of romance and how sometimes its hard to cope with the situation.. and way more intense and action packed compared to the first/.

Adult Written byAyame September 24, 2009
Loved it, the film better be good, nothings wrong with it, guess theres too many ciritics out there spamming concerns 14+ age should give it a read

Adult Written byembraceharmonyy September 23, 2009

New moon

I love it , but some of the scences are too grown for children under 17+

Adult Written byabitligit September 2, 2009

Just read it.. matter of fact.. read all four books!

I loved this book. It is very on point with the way teenagers over react to break ups and regular high school drama with a touch of the supernatural to make it interesting. A great bit of fun!

Parent of a 2 and 6-year-old Written bySnoozhe September 1, 2009

Entertaining action--but not great role models for teens

I'm an adult and I enjoyed this--but keep in mind I'm a Harry Potter fan. I like the fantasy and mythical creatures. The love triangle is a bad example of what you should do at any age. At least there is some remorse on the part of Bella. And her attitude is a bit annoying--but then maybe that's the Mom in me coming out!

Adult Written byAstoria-Malfoy August 24, 2009
again this series is way too anti-feminist, Romance shouldn't be about killing yourself. Bella tries to kill herself becuase she feels bad, we all feel bad at some point, but the brave ones stand up to life, the cowards, try to jump off a clif.
Also Bella needs protection from Men, either Edward or Jacob she is a Mary sue. Meyer is a horrible writter