All teen and kid member reviews for Of Mice and Men

Teen, 13 years old Written byHugeReader123 November 23, 2011

Really Good Book.

It's a very engrossing book. It has morals, freindship, and the difference from right and wrong. The cussing is a little strong, but nothing a mature ten year old can't handle. It has a unexpected ending, but this is a timeless classic, and shouldn't be banned in schools.
Teen, 16 years old Written bydieada January 23, 2013

Of Mice and Men

I found the book lacked a certain enthrallment to it. I was never truly drawn into the story. Not to mention trying to understand the writing of which a majority of the dialog is that of near illiterate, under-educated ranch hands. And when they’re not cursing at each other, they’re putting down the other main character that seems to have a learning disability. Not only that but it lacks any educational value, unless your goal is to teach that justifiable murder is okay. If anything it’s just a grown man’s suppressed depression expressed through a fictional story.
Teen, 17 years old Written bytaylor ford December 13, 2012

Of Mice and Men Review

Taylor Ford Mr. Sprigs English Final 2nd Hour 12/13/12 Of Mice and Men Review The tension and mind wondering of someone reading this book is enough to bring an angry tear to their face. The story starts off with two men in the middle of the woods. One of the men was fairly larger than the other one, but he was as dumb as a box of rocks. The other man was smaller and more intelligent like a wise old man. The two men were traveling together and working with one another to survive like a small wolf pack. The one was called Lennie and the smaller one was George. The two had been hiding from the men at the last ranch they worked at, because Lennie got into some trouble. That little bit of trouble cost them both their stakes for that month. With both of them being broke they reached out to find another ranch to work to gather up a stake at the end of the month. George and Lennie are like two peas in a pod, when they work together. They balance each other out in a way, but they don’t always get along with each other. George and Lennie have grown together almost like they were family. When both of them left the woods they found another ranch to work for a monthly stake of fifty dollars. While they are working they meet some new people that will either accept George and Lennie or will end up disliking them. Most these people will end up treating them like dirt. The work was hard the bunkhouse was dark and uncomfortable. There were many other guys there looking to make their stake at the end of the month. The men had a tradition of spending their money on alcohol and in a cathouse at the end of the month. Next, George and Lennie started to work on the ranch and showed that they work hard especially Lennie. The other workers that were working with Lennie just couldn’t keep up with his ox like strength. They both dreamed of life on their own beautiful and wonderful property. The dream was almost reality when they met and told an old one handed man named Candy. All together the three of them had more than just some tiny worthless chance of making their dream come true. Then, as they got close enough to the point where they could taste victory and change their status in life for good. The very unthinkable happens and leads up to an ending that was foreshadowed in the early chapters of the book. The foreshadowing is the sad incident that happened between Candy and his dog. Candy and his dog symbolize George and Lennie in many was as friends, family in a way, or even the companionship. Therefore, my thoughts about this book are very positive and I encourage everyone to at least try to read this wonderful book. As I was reading this book I always wanted to further and further to just keep that imagination of the story in my mind playing out. The book kept my mind on guard to make sure I was catching all the detailed events and information gathered from the book. This book showed how even though someone is mentally disabled they can work just as hard if not harder than a normal person. In conclusion, I believe this book is the ideal book for everyone. This book will make you think of friendship and shows how true friends really go through hard times. The emotions upon reading this book are powerful and heart breaking. I suggest picking this book up and reading it until you understand the full story and not just bits and pieces.
Teen, 15 years old Written by3PW March 16, 2014

Why OMAM is horrible (im my opinion).

Personally, I found it was an incredibly tedious read. people say it is a literary classic and it opened them up to empathy but I didn't feel that way. I don't think that Steinbeck wrote this very well. There was no character development as he revealed everything about Crooks and Curly's wife in one go. He paced things too quickly like when SPOILER* Lennie killed Curly's wife, the whole event was over in two paragraphs. Crooks was to emotionally withdrawn for me to feel anything but apathy for him. SPOILERS END* I think he just tried to make you feel for too many characters and spread his forces too thin. There is also the fact that the level of character description was entirely physical and not emotional. we had "(candy) rolled slowly over and faced the wall and lay silent" yet we didn't have anything emotional, something along the lines of "he turned, unable to meet the eyes of the others, and cried" it was the lack of good description that made me unable to get into the text and thus made my apathetic to the characters plights. I'm not against classics or critiques, I loved Le Mis and Merchant Of Venice, but I think that this was just horribly written. It is possible that Steinbeck expected the context of the novel to generate sympathy for the characters but, if so, that is where the problems start. being a British youth, I know nothing about the depression other than it was where everyone lost everything. I know about the troubles faced by black people and by women (Suffragette anyone?) but even so, I didn't feel sympathy for Crooks or Curly's wife. maybe my lack of context allows me to see the text for what it really is, boring. The plot goes nowhere, we learn almost nothing about the characters and we see but a few days of their lives. I'm not saying that you have to know a lot about a critique's subject to like it, I loved Le Mis yet didn't know a thing about the context; I am saying that a critique has to be good for someone to like it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byLexi Franzen January 24, 2013

Bad Book

I did not find this book, Of Mice and Men, as a good one to read. It was very inappropriate in my mind. I am very strong with my view of this being a terrible book. There was violence, reference to sex, horrible language, and talk of drinking and smoking. This book should not be read by kids or teens.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAuthor221 April 5, 2013

Steinbeck Classic Tale is Heart-rending, but that Does not take away its beauty

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful book. I fell in love with the way the story was written and that nagging feeling I had to never tear my eyes from the page, even when I had to because of cricks in my neck. I finished it in about five hours and by the time I was done, I was tearing up. Lennie was my favorite character and even though his demise was unfortunate, I know that it only happened the way it happened because George knew he was going to die, and he wanted him to die in happiness, not sadness. It shed a whole new light on the subject of death for me and I also believe that George did what he did so Lennie could be in peace without the burdensome feeling of having harmed others. Lennie was my favorite because I can relate to him. I am disabled, though mildly and physically, not severely and mentally like him. I loved him. I loved who he was as a person and I understood that George did the right thing. He saved his best friend from cruel death. I recommend this book to anyone who loves classics and enjoys a good old-fashioned tale revolving around the love that friendship provides.
Teen, 16 years old Written byWIDICKFOOTBALL40 January 23, 2013

Of Mice and Men

I think that Of Mice and Men is a very good book. It talks about how hard life was back then especially if you were someone like Lennie. Lennie is not the smartest person in the world, but George helps Lennie a lot through all that he does. George is a good role model because he helps anybody that needs it. Lennie and George work on a ranch after they had to leave the town they were in before. The meet some new guys and one of them is Slim, and he is the main guy that bucks barley. They also meet Curley who is the bosses son and his wife. It is a very good book and I highly recommend it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byC.M.B April 10, 2013

Literature-worthy book!

Despite the controversy that this novela has gone through, Of Mice and Men is thoroughly enjoyable novela (a novel that is short, but too long to be considered a short story, too short to be a novel) that showcases friendship at its most difficult and heartbreaking during the Great Depression. Through thick and thin George and Lennie stay together as they try to get enough money to get their own stake and "live off the Fat-o'-the-land" and stick together 'til the very end. The only real problems that under-age kids may face is the language, which include "son-of-a-b_", "bas****", the N word is used a couple times. The sexual content may also be too mature for younger kids as Curley's wife attempts to flirt with the other guys at work (especially Lennie) and at one time, the guys discuss about a whorehouse and comparing it to another whorehouse. The following day they go to the whorehouse. Violence is not too graphic, the only time it does get controversial is at the end, although I don't want to spoil it if you haven't read the book yet (I will say, though, that it's quite sad, I actually almost cried.) Lennie, naive to his own strength, kills his pets and accidentally kills a character. Overview: Positive messages: 4/5, Positive Role Models: 4/5, Language: 5/5, Sexual Content: 4/5, Violence: 3/5 All in all, Of Mice and Men is perfect choice for those who love to read and makes for a powerful read. Hopefully I've done this book justice.
Teen, 16 years old Written byERoe32 January 23, 2013

Of Mice and Men

I thought that this was a very good book. It is not necessarily a book for kids, due to the language and other adult content. If you have a weak heart towards animals and people you should not read it. George is somewhat of a positive role model, showing that anyone can be friends with a special needs person.
Teen, 17 years old Written bymilanempire December 7, 2012

cool

great book to read for highschool, easy A/
Teen, 16 years old Written byJb96 January 23, 2013

bad book

I think that this book should not be tought in school because of the language in the book. Kids 13 and under should not reed this book because of the inappropriate behavior. you have to be mature to read this book. this book is for an adult audience only. so be careful about reading this to your kids.
Teen, 16 years old Written byjamienorton January 23, 2013

Depressing Depression

I personally didn't care for this book. It was a depressing book, had lots of language. The relationship between George and Lennie kind of bothered me. George to me took advantage over Lennie. I didnt like the time period this took place in. I am more into the modern time. I would not recommend this book to anyone that doesn't like the classic.
Teen, 16 years old Written byDylan.B January 23, 2013

Of Mice and Men Review

In my opinion the book is not for the younger teenagers. It has a lot of bad words in it which is not the best for younger people. The language was hard to understand since it is written like they talked back in the depression. It paints a very harsh picture at life. I just didnt like the book in general it wasnt my type of book.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBigDon96 January 23, 2013

Of Mice and Men

This book is about two friends working on a ranch. George is a character that is like a father to Lennie. Lennie is a large massive man that has mental problem and like to pet things. This book is an amazing I would suggest it to anyone. The only thing that is known there is a lot of language that is vulgar so you have to be mature while reading this book. I love this book.
Teen, 16 years old Written byDaltonSimants65 January 23, 2013

Of Mice and Men

I think Of Mice and Men is a good book. George and Lennie are the two main characters. Lennie is a little slow but George takes care of him. This book will have you on the edge of your seat the whole time you are reading it and i would highly suggest it.
Teen, 17 years old Written byMostlyVal January 23, 2013

'Of Mice and Men' Review

'Of Mice and Men' is a very intriguing book. It gives a very clear picture of the struggles people went through during the depression. It gives a positive message about following your dreams and working hard. It does contain language, violence, alcohol and tobacco use, and prostitution. This is why I wouldn't suggest this book for younger kids.
Teen, 16 years old Written byraycar January 23, 2013

Mice and Men review- not for school

I think it is a bit inappropriate for students under the age of 13. At the age of 13 we start to learn about the birds and the bees and realize that there are people out there that talk bad, like in this book. However, I don't feel that it should be read in school. We always say violence isn't the answer, yet they use violence. Not just their hands, but also gun violence. I really don't see how this is helping our kids in school. All you're doing is giving them bad ideas.
Teen, 16 years old Written byfaizagirach March 19, 2015

Of mice and men

It's a fantastic story I have rated this book five stars
Teen, 16 years old Written byAlexis12 January 23, 2013

Of Mice and Men-Harsh

The book Of Mice and Men is a fine book, however, it should not be read by children age 13 and under. The violence is very strong and the language is out of control. This book should not be read in school, because of the violence and language. It is very harsh and the book really had no point. So all and all I would not recommend this book for school purposes, or for children.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMadiosnell January 23, 2013

No Point

I think this book is highly inappropriate. It should not be read in school. If i were to choose on my own choice to read it or not. I would not. The ending was extremely twisted and did not expect it at all. It started out really slow but got pretty good t'words the end. I think what happened at the end was unnecessary. The violence in this book was very strong and gives off a bad message. This book really had no point.