Parent reviews for Okay for Now

A troubled boy discovers his self-worth through art.

Adult Written bySusan J. August 11, 2016

Boreing

It was really repetitive and not a very good read. I suggest another book other than this one

Adult Written byCollegiateGirl July 9, 2013

A Powerful, Deeply-Moving PG-rated Read

• This book, although it deals with some hard things, is very beautifully and tastefully written. One example is that Doug mentions that his father has "quick hands."

• I am incredibly sensitive in the stories I read and the movies I watch (most of the movies I own are 'G' or 'PG'), and I not only finished this book, but I even recommended it to my youngest sister, and I am SCRUPULOUS about what I recommend to her. This book contains some of the most powerful messages about overcoming hard things and rising above them, and of letting the pieces be put back together.

• Violence: There is a flashback scene where Doug's father takes him to get a tattoo on his back when he (his father) is drunk, and a scene where Doug's brother gets into trouble, and tries to explain himself, but before he could "my father was on him" (NOT in a sexual way) and that is basically the extent of the reference to abuse. Also the fights Doug gets into are explained as statistics: Ex: Stats for lunch: two fights, two losses. Stats for after school, three fights, two losses, one broken up by a teacher.

• The book ends on a hopeful note in every aspect. Doug's father comes around, and almost everything is put back together. This story is really a story about a boy who sees his life in Audubon's bird prints, and who overcomes his challenges and difficulties and discovers who he wants to be. It will make you laugh and cry, and I think it is one of the best books to demonstrate how to rise above struggles in the home, and give the people we love time to change.

• After reading a story about a subject as penetrating and hard to cover tastefully as abusive family situations, I have come to completely trust Gary Schmidt, the author. That is a rare honor by me.

Parent of a 4 and 14-year-old Written bybooks4kids January 4, 2013

Powerful

The book is very well written. Students would benefit from reading this with the supervision of a parent, mentor, or teacher due to the content. The literary voice is exceptional.

Adult Written byTalkative Teacher January 10, 2012

Inspirational...and entertaining!

Okay for Now is one of the best coming of age books ever written. The author's strong use of allusion (real life events, people and products) paints a vivid picture of the setting of the book. Doug is one of the most humorous characters that I have ever encountered in a book written for adolescences. My seventh grade students loved that Doug was able to overcome so many obstacles in his life. The message that "Working hard has its reward" is throughout the book. I especially liked how Doug worked to overcome his reading disability. He was an inspiration to many of my students

Adult Written byMSchnurr June 29, 2021

Adult Written byMom.of.3 October 1, 2019

Abusive, violent and shocking

The school made the 5th - 8th graders listen to this book read aloud. The book presents very descriptive abuse from the alcoholic father to his kid. Although is a story of redemption, the physical and verbal abuse that the kid is subjected to was so extreme that it was difficult for my six grader to handle such story. He came shocked, in tears for two days, couldn’t focus at school and had nightmares. I requested the school to take him out of this class.

I tried to read the book and it made me feel sick!
I shared some passages with 8 other parents and they were in shock that the school was forcing this reading onto the students.

There are great books to teach about redemption. Not this one.
Do you wonder why so much bullying and disrespect towards teachers and parents? Students need INSPIRING books! Ones that that are pleasant and engaging! This one is sickening!
Forcing children to read about child abuse, is child abuse itself.

Adult Written bymeldrich May 14, 2019

Depth

The book is great, even in the classroom. Each Audubon painting represents an ideal, a mood, and sometimes a person. It mixes a guy's love of baseball with his struggle to overcome dysfunctional relations within his family and his own emerging skill as an artist. It is all set in a historical context as the moon landing approaches and the role models and good people of his town are great for kids who might be a little jaded about adults.