Kid reviews for Okay for Now

A troubled boy discovers his self-worth through art.

Teen, 16 years old Written bydanya t November 8, 2014

Not very good

I read this book for school one time and I had a lot of trouble getting through it. It is a VERY slow start and doesn't have a real climax...it is pretty flat all the way through.
Teen, 15 years old Written byahans June 24, 2021
Teen, 13 years old Written byarctictern December 17, 2020

I can't explain how beautiful this book is.

This book is probably one of the best fictional stories of all time, and that is not an exaggeration. It was so beautiful, and it made you feel like crying in a corner, or shouting for joy. It has an amazing writing style, and definitely worth your time. I read all of it in two days, I literally couldn't put it down. I was incredibly sad when it was over, haha!

I recommend this book for kids twelve and up. There is nothing inappropriate, but Doug's father is abusive and often drunk. There is talk about the Vietnam War, and his brother comes home from Vietnam severely injured and scarred. Doug disobeys and disrespects his teachers consistently, but in the end of the story, his teachers understand him more, and he becomes friends with them.

WARNING: SPOILERS!
There are many role models and people to look up to in this story.
Doug learns that he will be okay for now, even amidst his awful family life, being excluded and humiliated at school, feeling no one understands him, and staying strong through Lil's cancer. He develops an optimistic view of life, and stays himself through all his troubles.
Lil is a great role model in many ways. She stays strong through her cancer and never gives up, even when the stats are one in four. She was going the be the one. She is a wonderful friend to Doug.
Mr. Powell, Mrs. Windermere, Doug's mother, Mr. Ferris, and many others are great adult role models, for simply always being there for Doug.

I tell you, this book will set your Clarence rocking.
Don't know what that means? That's a good indicator that you need to read the book. You won't be disappointed.

Kid, 12 years old March 7, 2020

AMAZING!

I think this book is really great for kids and teachers, and should be read out loud in every classroom. It uses great figurative language and has a meaningful theme, and teaches kids a valuable lesson. If you still hadn't read it, you clearly missing out.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySarah Madden March 16, 2019

One of the greatest novels of all time.

This book is truly amazing. Very moving, educational, inspiring. It is so well-written, symbolic, realistic, has likeable characters. This book is great for anyone who is okay with a little violence, abusive characters, sad, intense, elements. Some references to historical events in the 60's and the arts such as the Vietnam War, moon landing, Charlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre, and the works of John James Audubon. It's much darker but richer than many books these days, it got me crying at the end…

Teen, 14 years old Written bylauren.mn November 4, 2018

Teaches Amazing Life Lessons

This book was more than amazing. It tells the story of the vulnerable Doug Sweitick and his abusive father. This book shows the reader(s) how Doug copes with his father and goes to the library for safety. I recommend this book to young adults and adults alike. If you haven’t read it yet, I most strongly suggest that you do. :)

Teen, 14 years old Written byBenjamin666 April 23, 2018

Good

It's a good book for some one the start has there first book.

Teen, 13 years old Written byprincessliv February 27, 2018
this is the best good it is great for children who are quiet

Teen, 13 years old Written byHot chocolate December 7, 2017

NOT ok for now

I'm sorry if you disagree but I just didn't like it! This book was not for me it was hard to follow after a while I just got board.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMarv August 2, 2016

Thought it was amazing

No words. Just that good.

Teen, 14 years old Written bypayton12 September 2, 2013

Okay for now

i have to read this book for summer reading and it is the most boring book ever. it is the second week of school and i have not finished the book and we have to take notes and i have not even started i would not recommend this book just for fun to read it has a lot of pages and it is boring now if u love reading which i don't u should get it from a library do not waste your money on this book. there is a little bit of violence like stealing and talking back to the principle but not a lot and there is supposed to be a positive message but i have not found that yet.there is no sex,consumerism or bad language,drugs,smoking, in this book but the main characters dad is always drunk so he drinks a lot. Good luck if you have to read this!

Teen, 13 years old Written bygabbyswag March 5, 2013

familey friendly review

This is a book about a boy who gets abused by his father and undergoing a lot of problems in his life there is an unbelievable amount of violence in this book all together this book might be a little hard to follow for some readers but it is a great book I think it should be a book everyone is formed to read in school it has a very meaningful life lesson in it and the lesson is that you should never let just anyone push you around like you are just some play toy.

Teen, 13 years old Written byb00k Addict October 20, 2012

An okay review

Okay For Now is an amazing book where the main character is a ordinary boy around the age of 13 which many young teenagers could relate to, such as myself and become immersed in the deep and captivating plot. The book is based in the late 1960s which could be considered as a slight historical insight as well. I would say that the way the Gary has created such a sophisticated character who tries to cover his emotional side (or what Doug would "being a chump") with a load of sarcasm and trying to be "cool" (as many kids would say these days). This book offers great entertainment value and as "noveleater" has said, the ending is more than fitting to the end of an incredible book.

Kid, 11 years old September 6, 2012

Best Book

I think that this is the best book I have read in a long time. It uses the words stupid a lot but it is still okay.

Teen, 13 years old Written bymrbookworm01 March 17, 2012

Great book for tweens

I borrowed this book from my Language Arts teacher and it's really good. It has great dialogue, well-developed characters, and a great plot. It's a really touching book and has positive messages about the importance of family and friends, standing up for yourself, and not letting challenges bring you down. OK for kids 11+. Violence: Doug's father is physically and verbally abusive. Doug talks about how his father made him get a tattoo on his 12th birthday. Lucas, Doug's brother, loses his legs and eyesight while serving in the war. Lil is shown getting very sick and has to go to the hospital. Mentioning of school fights. Sex: Doug and Lil become a couple, and Lil gives him a kiss on the cheek. Language: Use of the word "freaking" Consumerism: Mentioning of Coke. Drinking: Doug's father and his friend are depicted as alcholics.

Teen, 14 years old Written bynoveleater September 1, 2011

Touching sequel to The Wednesday Wars

Okay For Now is wonderful, touching, beautifully written, and as Doug would say: terrific. The story follows a boy named Doug Swieteck who deals with an abusive father, and quiet mother, and a two brothers, one a jerk, the other just returned from the Vietnam. The story takes place in upstate New York during the year 1928, so it does count as a historical novel. The story is veered for younger readers, but some of the content may be questionable for a young child. The main character is often slugged by his own father, and in one chapter their is a retelling of a time when Doug's father brings him to a tattoo store, and is forced to get a tattoo that is offensive and mean. The father comes home, most of the time drunk. He also smokes. Lil and Doug drink coke throughout the novel. In one scene, two kids get into one bed, and their is a picture of two kids kissing. Their is a description of burns, and one character's legs were burned off. What also makes this book wonderful, is that every chapter starts with beautiful paintings of birds from John James Audubon's Birds of America. This story does contain some information about Jane Eyre, that may inspire some readers to find out more. The messages are wonderful, and the finale few words will give you goosebumps. I suggest this book for anyone who loves to read, or who doesn't. It is worth the read. Enjoy!