Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Olive's Ocean

Gentle, moving coming-of-age story.

Parent of a 5, 7, 9, 14, and 18+ year old Written byjoshie11832001 March 3, 2009

watch out!

Olive's ocean is a well written book and it certainllly will make you stop and realize that life isn't just about you. But, this book has a multitude of curse words, sexual references, and constant disrespect for parents. Even though the book may have a good message, it is so tainted with profanity and disrespect for autority that I would not recommend it especially younger more impressionable grades. Signed, concerned teacher and mother.
Adult Written byVampriccat August 27, 2009

Great

I really enjoyed this book, but the downside for young children is that there are bad role models and bad language.

Parent of a 10, 11, and 11 year old Written bybookchick September 11, 2009
I must totally disagree w/ the parent review above. Although Olive's Ocean does have some mild curse words, and one suggestive line, it is the other 99.9% of the book that I choose to focus on. It portrays an average 12-yr old coming to terms w/ growing up, love and mortality. The messages are positive and heartfelt. Anyone focusing on anything else it totally missing the message and point of this entire piece of literature. Hyper sensitive reviewing is what gives the entire reviewing process a bad name and very hard to really know the nature of a story. Please leave the genuine BAD reviews to the violent, graphic, depressing, dark, disturbing and sexual stories that *truly* deserve them. Parents - Olive's Ocean is a wonderful story for your children - age 10 and up will be able to appreciate and understand.

Parent of a 9, 10, and 12 year old Written bydbatura July 5, 2010
Adult Written byms0504 October 12, 2009

Issues kids can relate to

As a teacher, I love that there are issues throughout the book. Whether we like it or not, children deal with many issues. We can't take a book and say it isn't suitable. Children hear and see a lot more than you may think. Books like this allow them to think about issues and learn from the characters. The main character is a great role model.

Adult Written byTlore January 30, 2011

Nothing Out of the Ordinary in Olive's Ocean

I read the book for an assignment in college, and because it was listed on the banned books list, I thought it was going to be worse than what it was. The book had mild language issues, and one scene where sex is openly mentioned, but otherwise nothing that I would consider to be anywhere near inappropriate for young minds who are looking for ways of expressing themselves. In fact, I wish I would have read this book as a child because I believe it would have accelerated my thoughts of becoming a writer and made it seem like a more attainable goal in my mind. With these facts in mind, I would have no problem using this book in my curriculum or having it in my classroom library if I were a teacher. It was well written and had a positive message, I recommend it.