Kid reviews for One Crazy Summer

A gem, with strong girl characters, '60s black history.

Kid, 11 years old March 15, 2011

Kid, 11 years old November 20, 2012

delephine and her sisters go find their real mother in oakland.

this is really good book for your kids. it teaches then to be grateful for what they have and to also be grateful for there family.

Kid, 12 years old April 9, 2013
Kid, 11 years old June 15, 2015

Fabulous Book!

I really liked the book but the plot is a little confusing so you have to focus and pay attention. There are some stuff that may be easier for older children to handle like the fact that Cecile left the girls when they were only babies. There is little violence but the Black Panthers cause some trouble and aressts which are main events of the book. Overall, I liked the book and thought that it had good messages.

Kid, 9 years old July 19, 2010

I love this book!

I learned about the Black Panthers! Amazing book! One of my favorites!

Teen, 13 years old Written bynrenaers April 7, 2016

Don't even bother reading

THIS IS THE WORST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ. It is so boring. Don't even waste your time or MONEY.

Kid, 11 years old July 20, 2010

Teen, 17 years old Written bymisty f November 29, 2011

GOOD PARENTS, BAD PARENTS!!!!!!! :)

This book is a very good book and it teaches people how to deal with certain situations. The book is something i can relate to because i was taken from my mother and at times wish i can try to get back in touch w/ her but i am not sure if that is what my mother wants. Maybe if parents read this book they will realize that what they have is a good thing and that they should never give up and just keep pushing forward. I know there are parents out there who are very good to there kids and i want to say keep it that way. But for the parents out there who are not good to their kids need to try to be good to their kids because one day your kids will despise you and not want anything to do with you.

Teen, 14 years old Written byHappy Bookworm May 4, 2013

Great Book!

Teen, 13 years old Written byUGH!!! April 26, 2012

Educational and fun!

The book was great! It had a good message about family values and what a family is. There is brief suggestive violence, but overall the book is okay. I recommend the book to a child who has learned a little bit about the Civil Rights Movement because they reference a few things that you would only understand if you had prior knowledge. This is a great middle school or advanced elementary school book. I would recommend it to anyone!

Teen, 13 years old Written byCeci Joe January 28, 2014

Blown Away

This book was the perfect combination of a good story and a great message. Reading this at the age of 11, I had never experienced anything like that of this book's general theme of equality for blacks. It was a truly amazing illustration of sacrifice, support, struggle, child-like romance, and most of all, love for others and forgiveness. This book is just more proof to the world what a powerful tool the written word is. I learned much from reading One Crazy Summer, and I hope you will too. Enjoy!

Kid, 7 years old May 1, 2011

its great

LOVE It! it teaches kids about segrigation and black and white ppl being apart but the smoking wont be a good role model when i read it to my kids in the future

Kid, 12 years old December 13, 2017

This was a great book.

I loved the book. It's about a 11 year old girl, Delphine, and her two little sisters who went to Oakland to meet their mother. I think this book shows you to appreciate your family. It also includes civil rights.

Teen, 13 years old Written byteen63 January 20, 2018

Amazing book

This book is one of my all time favorite books. I love the bond between the three sisters. And how they teach about the civil rights movement. And I love the mane character Delphine. The book makes you laugh cry and smile.

Kid, 10 years old November 12, 2018

One Crazy Summer Craze

One Crazy Summer is a great read for kids and adults. Rasicim is something that most people don’t like talking about these days, but we need to. This book introduces the Black Panthers and what is was like to live in Oakland at that time. Delphine, Vonnetta, and Fern captavate you in this beautifuly written story. Definatly one of my top reads!

Kid, 10 years old October 28, 2018

Family/Writer Book

I think that this book is about one crazy summer! It's very compelling! It makes you think how hard a summer can really be! Family is important, and is important in the book! Teaches very well about what it takes to be a writer.