All teen and kid member reviews for Our Only May Amelia

Kid, 12 years old December 7, 2008
Kid, 11 years old November 8, 2011

hi my name is destinee ariel roberts

this book is amazing you should read it awesome
Kid, 11 years old September 28, 2014

Great Book!

It was a great book, and educational, but the mother does end up giving birth to a baby almost in a boat, with May Amelia around, but never for the real pregnancy. Also, there is a mean grandmother, and the baby ends up dying. May Amelia was very close to her and looks after her when her mother is ill after giving birth. May does end up running away, but comes back after prompting because she loves her family. Lovely Story.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjb2017 December 14, 2016

Great, not too long of a read for girls about 10

“My brother Wilbert tells me that I was the first ever girl born in Nasel, that I was A Miracle.”-Our Only May Amelia, page 1. Though this book may be meant for smaller children, I have to say that I adored this book. May is a true character and her eye-striking personality causes her to jump right off the page. In the year of 1899 in Washington state, things were not well. Being the only girl in miles and having seven older brothers, you can see that life would be tough. With a father that wants May Amelia Jackson to be a “Proper Young Lady” like mother, May doesn’t wish to. She wishes she could be just like her brothers and help in the fields and tend the animals such as sheep, cows, pigs, and goats. Her mother is due to have a baby soon and May and Mom couldn't be more eager to find out if it is a girl. A few months in., Papa’s mother, Grandmother Patience, comes to help out but she is no help at all. She hates kids and thinks kids are a bad influence to the world. I think that Papa is mostly like his mother but less violent with May Amelia. Papa just tells May what a disgrace she is instead of physically hurting her. After the baby is born, a tragedy happens and May has a life changing journey ahead of her. Read the book to find out what happens next. I would recommend this book to ages nine to anything. I conclude that any person can read this book. Jennifer L. Holm has composed many series of books that all look really good. She has won the John Newbery medal and the Golden Kite Award for Fiction Books. Some more books that struck me were Turtle in Paradise, Penny from Heaven, Boston Jane, and the Babymouse series. I cannot wait to read more books by Jennifer L. Holm.
Kid, 9 years old August 19, 2009

A Good Book

Our Only May Amelia was a good book. It told you about the old days . Things I did' not like are that they used words that we don't use now like Chinoke or Nasle.It was a good story.I like I like how they use a boat instead of a plain
Kid, 9 years old December 14, 2013

our only may amelia is a great book

its a great book for everyone above 5 its a mixture of adventure friendship and makes u feel what the characters feel u must read it
Kid, 11 years old November 30, 2011

may amelia

may amelia is a advintrous girl with 6 bros. and a cuzen who treats her like a sister. even though its about a girl, men and young boys will love it just as my daughter did
Kid, 10 years old April 12, 2011
I love this book our teacher read it to us one of the best books but i hate Grandmother Patience
Kid, 10 years old June 4, 2010

Great Book!

This book didn't look interesting to me when I was first recommended it, but about 50 pages in, the book was exiting and a fun read.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymccatcher7 October 18, 2009

Tween Book

I liked this book. I had to read it for school and do a book report for school, and I ended up liking the book.
Kid, 11 years old August 19, 2009

The Awesome Book

Our Only May Amelia, is a awesome book.It gives you a word about the pass and tells you how to be nice and not mean.I say that the middle and the end because of the drama and the effects, but the beginning is good also, but if you don't like the first chapter don't stop keep going.so take my word and read it,it's awesome and will teach you a good lesson for school. so tell your friends and family about this book.