Parent reviews for Pax

Compelling, heartrending story of boy and fox in dystopia.

Parent of a 10 year old Written byJavier S. January 3, 2017

Beautiful words but emotionally challenging

I read this with my 10 year old daughter and found that some of the topics were very far out of scope of learning, not to mention of her experience. I see this book for a teenager. One who has heard and talked about war and the devastating impact it has on people, society, nature and families. It is not an easy read for ten year old. Much less to comprehend.

Adult Written bycommon s. April 17, 2018

bleakness trumps value

This book features some pretty devastating and violent deaths and maimings of main characters and their families through beatings and land mine explosions. Think red mist. There is also a side story about a woman who has killed a man in war. I do not think this is suitable for 10 year olds and I regret not reading it first which is often my habit, before giving it as a gift to my 10 year old. Your mileage may vary.
Adult Written byLynne W. February 1, 2018

Love, loyalty and unexpected friendships in an otherwise cruel world

The three key characters - Pax (the fox) Peter (the boy) and Vola (the enigmatic war vet) - leap off the page and stay with you long after you've closed the back cover. Vola is a tour de force and the best bit of the book is the central part and the relationship bewteen Vola and Peter. A challenging and exciting read for an emotionally mature and able reader, perfect for a good age 10/11 plus reader. The Librarian, Bea is a tiny figure but beautufully described and the Library is a small but significant beacon of hope in a world where people and animals alike are caught up in a destruction they themselves don't understand.

Adult Written byJon H. October 20, 2018

True friendship is worth everything. All adults should read it too.

In our society were media glorifies war particularly to our young boys this book does a fantastic job drawing the conclusion that war is just not worth it and friendship is worth everything. Pax is a wonderfully written book that explorers love, friendship and nostalgia in depth and metaphor while tangential almost subliminally conveying the horrific waste that is war.