Kid reviews for Peeps

Modern vampire tale for teens is funny, edgy, and grisly.

Teen, 15 years old Written byhangOn4Hope July 9, 2009

Very, very interesting and unique.

Yes, there is inappropriate language. There is also mention of sex. Scott Westerfeld wrote a vampire story that made sense. Instead of vampires being undead gothic people that bite others for fun, vampires are people who have been infected with a parasite that makes them into a vampire-like individual, a.k.a. a "peep." It would be dumb if the parasite spread by having one person cough on another. Scott Westerfeld did his research and based his story off of theories and facts about existing parasites. It makes sense for the parasite to want to spread itself and it makes sense for it to be transmitted sexually. Scott Westerfeld is not trying to be distasteful, he is being realistic. If you want your teenager to read about a world where everything is peachy, no one swears, and everyone is loving and kind then do that. I can't control how you raise your kid. My point is, this book is modeled after reality (except the vampire and evil worm part, of course), and in reality, tons of people swear and smoke and have sex. The book does not make a point to encourage pre-marital sex or smoking, therefore, it is not as harmful as a previous reviewer seemed to feel. I suggest this book for a mature 12 or 13 year old. If you shelter your teenager and they still believe in unicorns and gold at the ends of rainbows and you want to continue your poor treatment of them, then do not have them read this. YOU should know your kid best. Just be aware that it does discuss parasites. The book didn't make me queasy, but I'm not so much the queasy type. Also know, that while parasites are generally a topic that makes you're average Joe disinterested or bored, Scott Westerfeld makes them quite intriguing. I know that I loved this book. It is very worth reading. It is educational. It teaches people about parasites and their functions. It extrapolates from these facts and creates a believable (if you're good at suspending disbelief for the sake of a good movie or read) story... or at least more believable story than the "girl-falls-in-love-with-sexy-vampire" story. This book is enjoyable and truly, honestly unique, interesting, and amazing. I think you're depriving your kid if they're 13 and older and you won't let them read books like this. I hope that my review helped and happy reading!

Teen, 15 years old Written bybradley4846 July 24, 2009

One of my better summer reading books

Excpected it to be alot like twilight, it wasn't. The Whole Book is basicly about sex. It also includes 1-fword, a couple s-words and a-words. Theres a lot of alchol talk at the begining, and some violence throughout.

Teen, 13 years old Written byKatherine7948 October 17, 2009

Perfect for teens not kids

I love it!

Kid, 8 years old September 26, 2009

good for teens/tweens

It's violent, sexual, has bad words, has alchol and I love it!

Teen, 15 years old Written bymoviegeek April 9, 2008

Loved the chapters on parasites! So cool

I hate vampire books. They`re all the same and follow the same plot. With that said, this is completely different. He isn`t a vampire - he`s `parasite positive`. Loved it! Completely original, funny, and interesting. Plus, you learn all about different parasites. There is a lot of references to sex, so parents really shouldn`t let some kids read it. But for teens, it is a great read.
Teen, 17 years old Written byMaster12 December 20, 2011

Language Control

I think this is a great book, but keep an eye on what chapter your child is reading to make sure that when they come upon the foul language it's not to be repeated.

Teen, 13 years old Written byemniew January 3, 2011

Good for mature tweens.

I love this book. I'm only a few days into it, but it's got me hooked! I think this book is good for mature tweens, around the age of 12, who don't mind the sexual talk.

Teen, 13 years old Written byimk21 August 31, 2009

AWESOME!!!

I LOOOOOOOVE IT!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byvampires.kca March 17, 2009

WONDERFUL!

This book is amazing. There is not a lot of 18+ stuff, so it's perfect for anyone who wants to read it. It's an exciting twist on vampire myths, and because it's in the point of view of a college freshman, it's easier to relate to than if the character was older. I recommend this book to anyone and everyone over the age of 11, and the other book, so yesterday is really good to. He does connect the two stories at the end of so yesterday.
Teen, 16 years old Written bychocolatechip! April 9, 2008

great but slightly gross

The story was wonderful and very well written, but every other chapterI almost gagged. It was like the encyclopedia of gross things that might be swimming around in your body at this very moment.I mean how many people are actually interestedin knowing that toxoplasma is swimming around in your brainor bloodthirsty lice are sucking hungrily on your head.DO Not read this book if you have a weak stomach or currently swim in tropical rivers (Afterword section#3). the Story was extremely captivating and I could not put the book down till I finished. I can not wait to read the sequal!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written bykarlita November 22, 2009

great story!!

this is a great novel and i enjoyed reading it very much, read it in 2 days lol, the only thing is that it does have alot to do with sex [the main character is horny many times is a good example] and perhaps this book is better for 13 and up. depends on the reader. and i LOVEDDD IT!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byK8 October 1, 2009

Imaginative vampire book will have you skin crawling.

A very imaginative take on vampires. This is a well written creepy vampire book.
Kid, 12 years old September 17, 2009

Good for pre-teens/teens

I LOVED this book! It's a little violent, refers to sex, and has a lot of bad language, though. I fell in love with all of the characters and couldn't stop reading! To read this book you should be mature. You should also not get scared easily! This book is a real romance-thriller. Peace.

Teen, 15 years old Written byGeorgie.Paige April 30, 2009

Get over the Language! Geez!!

Okay...what book have you read that does NOT have a little bit of cursing in it? It adds color to the book. If you don't want your child to read the inappropriate words in this book, that is probably because they wouldn't understand it anyway. If they don't understand, they shouldnt be reading it anyway. This book is very different, and it is well worth the read! You will laugh and be on the edge of your seat. Plus, there's a love story! Wonderful!
Teen, 14 years old Written bysillyseal10 December 6, 2008

A Great Book

Okay this is a great book! Its about the risks you take when you become sexually active. One user has said that the language was so bad that she wouldn't let her teen read it and she questioned why it got an award. Just because a book has language doesnt mean it is a bad book. Your teen probably hears words 10x worse just on their way to school. Of couse that doen't make it ok to use such words, but in reality they are used and people do say them. If you really think your teen is so imatature that they would be deeply upset by these words, you are probably mistaken. In the real world, people use words like these. So instead of trying to shield your teen from the inevitable and by doing so makeing the use of cuss words more disirable, you should talk to your teen about why people say words like that. And about the word 'horny', the parasite inside of him speads through sexual intercourse. so it makes him feel strong urges to have sexual intercourse in order spread the parasite. Its biology. Im 14 and im mature enough to understand that.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylynhall95 May 10, 2010
This book was excellent, i love it as a 13 year old teen.

Kid, 12 years old January 30, 2009

One of a Kind

This is a very good book. There are so many great Vampire books like the Twilight series. But Peeps is one of a kind. I loved how Scott Westerfeld researched and wrote about all those gruesome parasites into Peeps. I definitely think that anyone over at least 13 should read this book, because of some of the Sexual Refferences. You have to be mature enough. I know I'm still 12, but hey, I'm turing 13 this year.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAbbyB7944 August 10, 2017

Very Good!

It is an amazing book and I highly recommend reading it, however it has a lot of inappropriate language, lots of talk about sex and drugs and there are gruesome things like blood writing and mass murdering and the main character gets extremely drunk and one point.

Teen, 15 years old Written byCasper April 9, 2008

So original and fascinating!

Thanks to this book, I am now paranoid about parasites. I love how it's not cliche as you would expect a vampire book to be. It revolves around a parasite that gets into a person's body and infects them with a disease called vampirism. The infected person becomes a "vampire" that hates eveything it used to love and shrieks at the sight of an anathema. It does contain some slight sexual references, but if your kids(s) are 13-up, they'll be fine. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if they suddenly start singing "Happy Birthday" while washing their hands, as this book may drive some people to become "clean freaks". I already was a clean freak when I read this...but now it's worse. Highly recommended if you love creepy biology. If not...then read it anyways, at least you'll learn something new. (If you are squeamish...then...tough luck, this isn't the book for you.)
Teen, 14 years old Written byriflebabe92 April 9, 2008

Amazing book. Parasite posittive

this book was an incredible book, the writing style was great. kids 13+ should be able to read this book, kids younger than that probebly should talk to their parrents before reading due to the mention of sex, and the carriers always being horny. other than that the book had a completly different outcome than i thought, it would. oh and if your squimish this book may not be for you cause the book does talk about parasites like every other chapter. EWW, must say its turned me into a bit of a clean freak. Great book. the 2nd book the last days is just as great, but it does take on a bit of a different turn. with the worms and all. 2 thumbs up