Kid reviews for Peter Pan

This classic works best as a read-aloud.

Teen, 14 years old Written byPenPal17 May 28, 2020

Light, Whimsical Classic, Deeper than you Might Think

Peter Pan by J.M Barrie is a true classic. It's a bright, lighthearted fairytale about the wonders of childhood and the importance of growing up. Although this is a book for children, there are some dark undertones and metaphors. I said ages 9 and up because kids that age will understand the story, but older kids, like maybe age 12-13 will get the full effect. Here are my warnings-
Violence- 2/5- nothing graphic; Hook does talk about his oddly colored blood, many pirates are killed and a boy counts them off as they die, a non-graphic battle occurs, children are threatened with death.
Swearing- 2/5- Tinker Bell frequently calls Peter a 'silly a**', there is some outdated racist language (the Natives are called Redskins)
Sexy Stuff- 0.5/5- Barely anything. Wendy mentions kissing but Peter doesn't understand what that is, and Tiger Lily mentions she wants to 'be something to Peter' but not his mother (It's obvious she means she likes him.)
Drinking/Drugs/Smoking- 1/5- Hook has a cigar holder specially made so he can smoke two cigars at once. I'm sure there are probably a couple other small things but they aren't coming to mind.
Consumerism- 0/5-
Great Messages- 3/5- Although it does portray some questionable things, such as the Darlings not getting in trouble after freaking RUNNING AWAY for a few years, it does show the importance of maturity and holding on to childhood memories.
Great Role Models- 4/5- Wendy cares about her brothers and the Lost Boys. Even Hook values 'good form' and being a respectable person. Wendy is also very kind and patient when dealing with Peter. *Spoiler Alert* Tinker Bell gives up her own life to save Peter. Peter Pan, however, is not a fantastic role model. He is very much an anti-hero, enjoying killing pirates for fun, threatening Lost Boys, and only saving people to prove how great he is, not because it's right.

Kid, 10 years old January 30, 2020

Mad about this

Very mad.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAce05 September 10, 2018

My Favorite Book- A Classic

I LOVED this book from the moment I first read it. I currently have four copies and have read it multiple times, however, you may have to explain a few "big" words to children.

Teen, 14 years old Written byPrincessKatie April 12, 2015

Amazing, might bore kids

This is an amazing story, but reflective of the era in which it was written. Don't worry too much about content, but the language used can make it a long, boring read for young kids.

Teen, 14 years old Written byThe Hannah Claire November 30, 2012

Did Not Meet my Expectations

After seeing the animated Disney movie of this I figured that the book would be really good. The book did not meet my expectations. It was a good book but slow. Peter Pan was overly arrogant and annoying and Tinkerbell cusses (the b-word is used toward Wendy). Not wonderful but still a classic that everyone needs to read.

Teen, 15 years old Written byjoneserin February 11, 2012

best book for kids

i thik its a great story for little kids to have told by there parents over and over again

Educational Value
Teen, 14 years old Written bygilly_boy January 6, 2012

AMAZING!

I've read this book twice and is still good. Peter Pan is my favorite charactor! Who wouldn't want to be this kid? It's noted that they've been away for a while but it's a book. The naraitor actuilly says that he/she can't decide which adventure to tell. And since it's a book, why not tell the whole story of what happened? Read the book and at one part it lists the different adventures it wants to tell but chooses only two and see what I mean. I say it's okay for little kids because they don't really pay attention to the voilence, I certainly never did.
Teen, 13 years old Written byprincess4ever December 26, 2011

my review on peter pan

this book is good but it uses bad langue that shouldn`t be used this book dose not set the right kind of exmaple for child because of he tells the children that they should play and not work

Teen, 15 years old Written byShi Shi June 6, 2011

Favourite fairytale ever!

I read this book when I was 7, but reread it when I was 13. It is a wonderful book full of imagination, innocence and my initial reaction to it 8 years ago was that I wanted Peter Pan to come. Even reading it 2 years ago, the book makes me smile as the characters, fantasy and story describe every single person's childhood. It really portrays the heartlessness we used to see things with and the beautiful imagination every one of us owned or still owns.
Teen, 14 years old Written byamish May 21, 2010
Teen, 13 years old Written byavidcritc April 9, 2008

timeless. i love it more every time i read it.

peter pan is among my most treasured comfort books (where most people have comfort food, i have comfort books because, well, I'm just funny that way). j.m. barrie has a sense of humor that at times is so dry it reminds me of lemony snicket but at the same time is just so innocently fun and happy. peter pan has some elusive element of fairy dust in it- it soars.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytintin_in_arcata April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written byCah_luvs_u April 9, 2008

What a sweet Book!

Wow. Peter Pan is a wonderful book and a must-read classic. I really enjoyed it but if you want to delve deeper into Peters life, dont read "Peter Pan in Scarlet", (the "official sequel, but is absolutely horrid, boring, slow, and stupid, a complete waste of paper). You should read "Peter and the starcatchers and the sequel "peter and the shadow thieves"