Kid reviews for Pretty Little Liars, Book 1

First book in cliquey girls' series shows off bad behavior.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLetchen April 13, 2010
Obviously, you're not going to use the characters in this book as role models. There's a little bit of everything--eating disorders, sexuality, cursing, violence, drinking, and sex, but in all, it's entertaining. I really enjoyed reading this book and didn't find it as shallow as other teenage books. It was a little creepy, with Alison's disappearance and the messages that are popping up everywhere, but it added an edge to the story. The characters are all a little extreme, in my opinion, but that makes the story interesting. I say read it if you're looking to relax but to also get a little something from it. It's a little mature, but I wouldn't say 15 and up. We all know about this stuff anyway.

Kid, 11 years old May 30, 2011

AWESOME!!!

This book is great!!!! Im only 11 and finished the first book in this series within 2 days! I think its fine for anyone 10 and up or in sixth grade and up. It only has kissing, really. And any adults who dont think their 10 and 11 yr old kids dont know a thing about this kind of stuff, your probably wrong. We DO have health class, FYI!!!! But the girls do somebad things, and i highly doubt anybody would look up to them.
Teen, 13 years old Written bypb598147 August 26, 2015

Pretty Little Liars

I think for 13-14 teen year olds t is fine due to the fact that the material is stuff we are all aware of.

Kid, 12 years old October 3, 2014

Just a bunch of stereotypical rich kids behaving badly

I'll admit, I wasn't a fan of this first book. It was basically just a bunch of rich kids drinking and swearing and doing sexy stuff. But once you get through the first book, you'll find that the rest of the series is quite good, so it's worth it. Or if you don't want to sit through it, you can just watch the show, which is like, 10x better.

Teen, 14 years old Written bylipglosschaos September 4, 2010

A Perfect Wake-Up Call

There's absolutely no problem with this book. Any kid aged over 15 understands that just because they read a book where they do bad things, doesn't mean they should do it. Just because a book isn't completely G rated doesn't mean that teenagers can't understand. Because they befriended this Queen-Bee Alison, they were caught up in this. It is BECAUSE they drink, do drugs, smoke, hook up with teachers, etc. that they are in this mess. When I read this, a lot of what goes through my mind is "Huh. Wow. I definitely shouldn't make out with my English teachers then." And her friend having gone missing... well that actually happens in real life. You can't pretend that a 15 year old doesn't understand that it's a dangerous world out there. Giving her kiddy books that make the world look like sunshine and rainbows is only going to make her an idiot.

Kid, 11 years old October 31, 2010

11+

This is an awesome book. It teaches people to be yourself and what comes around goes around. Plus, the plot is genius!

Teen, 15 years old Written byLivi2121 September 15, 2009

Just fine for tweens!

Loved It - and so will your teenager!

Teen, 14 years old Written byFutureMrs.JohnnyDepp August 7, 2009

Fine for 13+

I loved this book and all of the others in the Pretty Little Liars series I read them all very quickly. They may have a lot of bad things, but nothing that a 13 year old wouldn't already know about. I enjoy the mysteries and drama and how everything is weaved together in this series.

Kid, 11 years old October 23, 2009

Perfect if you're older and love mysteries.

This book was an addiction I couldnt settle. Just waiting for the next book tugged at my heartstrings. Although the books were amazingly written and crafted, there were many things that shouldnt be read by children. There is sex, drinking, violence, bad choices, and bad messages. But I just cant pry away from the page turner.

Kid, 10 years old January 18, 2014

Ten and up kids

THis is a really great book. I read it and I'm ten. I was a little scared by books 12+ because it gets more violent then but this should be allowed to be read by kids 10+. I loved the suspense and mystery. The TV show is bad though. No watching it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byIlovebooks331 June 18, 2015

As long as your mature enough, you should know that the behavior in this book shouldn't be looked up to.

I found this book to be a guilty-pleasure type novel. I'm mostly reading it for the mystery part, it was pretty enjoyable. And like I said in the title, behavior in this book shouldn't be looked up too, so it does have educational value on what you SHOULDN'T do. However there is A LOT of swearing in this book. But I've read most of the series, and it gets milder as it progresses. There is also smoking, and even more consumerism. There is also a lot of sexual stuff. And the term 'MILF' is used.

Teen, 16 years old Written bypretty little liar April 23, 2009

i loved it, it's the best book ever

pretty little liars are the best novels ever, i wish they would make them int o a movie series
Kid, 12 years old May 31, 2012

LOVE IT!!!!

You can see by my name that I love pretty little liars! Most parents think that just because there is frequent discussion about sex, that their kids are going to do it! I'm on the second one in the series. These are good books for the summer.

Teen, 14 years old Written bykitty47 June 3, 2015

Good book for early and late teens

Teen, 13 years old Written by[email protected]<3 July 6, 2011

HOOKED ON

OMG BEST BOOK EVER!!!! if you think the book is good watch the show too. It's the best series ever. It's the only book series I can get hooked on I am a pretty high level reader but this book makes me anxious to see what happens next. I &lt;3 this series. I have been counting down the days until book 9&amp;10 come out. If you like the tv show too check out switched at birth on abcfamily
Teen, 16 years old Written bychica11:) May 26, 2011

Parenting

I chose to say kids 12 and older because 12 years old is 6th and 7th grade, middle school is already talking about sex and drinking and smoking etc. Even if your child is a good kid, they will be exposed to all of this in middle school. So, even if you haven't told them about sex, drinking, smoking, drugs, violence etc. they will already know about it anyway. Kids catch onto these things anyway, so as long as they know these things are wrong, it is perfectly okay to read the PLL series and watch the TV show. Besides, if you think that they should not read certain parts, limit them. You are their parents. My sister has a 12 year old girl, and she read the first three Twilight books. She is not allowed to read Breaking Dawn until 8th grade due to sex reference. Also, think about when your kids are over at friends' houses. They might be watching things like the House Bunny, Blades of Glory, The Hangover, Paranormal Activity etc. Why do people nonchalantly shrug off things like this, while they just critisize things like the PLL series. If you are worried about this series and or what they are reading, read the book along with them. As they're reading the book, you can read it as well. If the page 67 in Flawless (just an example) talks about Hanna's bulimia and you aren't comfortable with your child reading that either tell them to skip that page or just explain that it is wrong. I am 16 years old, and these books are great.
Teen, 14 years old Written bytaylorswift2122 July 22, 2011

fine

this book compared to other young adult books is not bad

Teen, 13 years old Written byHarryPotterandW... July 12, 2011

Horrible book; Not so much the material, it's the horrible and appalling writing.

Being an avid reader, I was excited when girls in my school who didn’t usually read started reading these books. I decided to buy it. I was APPALLED by the book. I know a lot of you are saying that teens are going to find out about this stuff anyways, blah blah blah. But that’s not what I’m worried about. What I’m worried about is that teens are reading this excuse of a novel (which has horrible writing and a clichéd plot, I’m sorry to say) instead of reading classics that have good morals and plotlines. At a stage where children should be developing and stabling their minds, they should be reading books that advance their intelligence, not decrease it! Shepard obviously is trying to write a good mystery with side plots, but the side plots are so disturbing and clichéd that you can’t even see the mystery underneath. My suggestion to girls who want good books is to read the following great and inspiring novels: Harry Potter (if you haven’t already), To Kill a Mockingbird, The Wednesday Wars, The Chosen One Please read actual novels instead of something that will fade in a few years.

Teen, 13 years old Written bybrookethefrog4137 June 16, 2011

Nothing You Can't Handle!

I've got to say, this book has A LOT of product placement, but it's kind of fun reading all about it...plus I can just imagine what the author is talking about so....as for the situations the girls get in, like shopplifting, seducing a teacher, and drunkdriving, I think it happens everyday, and no, I have my favorite characters in the book just like the next girl, but I don't look up to any of them. The situation with Aria seducing Ezra (Mr. Fitz) was pretty exciting, but while I was reading I was thinking, Ezra (Mr. Fitz) could get in HUGE trouble if he got caught- yes that's right, teens have common sense too! Also, when Hanna shopplifts as a hobbie/rush-type-thing, I think about how much trobble I would get in if was caught. As for Spencer *SPOILER ALERT* stealing Melissa's boyfriend, that was just not cool. And one more thing, since some of the characters light up quite a few times, I don't have the urge to smoke like them (or atleast not that I'm aware of). Moms, just talk to the kids about the happenings in this book, I can assure you, past all the things listed above, it is a edgy, thrilling read, that will leave you guessing to the end

Teen, 14 years old Written byNarwhalLover13 February 23, 2014

Awesome!

I read this book when I was 13 and am still continuing the rest of the series. I love it! Sure it doesn't set a good example, but thats what makes it interesting. My friends and I just can't get enough of this awesomeness!