Kid reviews for Red Glove (Curse Workers, Book 2)

White Cat sequel is more mature, more fun.

No reviews yetAdd your rating

Teen, 14 years old Written bynoveleater November 8, 2011

"We are all specialists in our own handwriting." (p.236)

And Holly Black has her own handwriting, or in this case, her own writing style that is fun and leaves for a fast paced thriller with romance, action, and just enough magic to make any fantasy lover giddy with the raw power of Holly’s talent. It is startling to see when an author improves on her own writing, when it is already near perfect. I can’t seem to get enough of Holly’s books. Red Glove continues the story that was finished in Whit Cat, but Red Glove kisses more of the mystery side of conning. It’s hard to image how much Holly must of researched to understand the whole Conning business, but regardless, she does it perfectly. But, parents, be aware that The Curse Workers trilogy is violent… very violent, sometimes disturbing. Guns are used, and shot, murders are constant and a vital element in the plot. Cassel is slapped by his mother, and a riot is violent. This book has an edgy dark feel throughout the pages. Even know the book is dark, it still celebrates loyalty and friendship. Great role models that want him to succeed surround Cassel. Cassel may be a curse worker, but still, he is good at the heart and he only wants to do what is right to the people, he isn’t greedy or cruel. Although, he still doesn’t always spare people’s feelings. The book opens up with him kissing a girl, it is implied they had sex; also there are kisses and romance present, even though it is not the main focus of the novel. In one scene Cassel enters a part where a minor character is snorting cocaine, this is a one-sentence scene, nothing to be worried about. Teens smoke and drink, and in one scene Cassel gets drunk with Sam. The ending is well planned and I can’t stop gushing about how great the ending really is. I also love the political side of this series, and this book in particular. I can’t wait to read the next installment of The Curse Workers.

Kid, 10 years old May 29, 2011

i love this book

it was good to me and i whant to say gogogogoggo to you gise

Educational Value