Parent reviews for Red Scarf Girl: A Memoir of the Cultural Revolution

Red Scarf Girl: A Memoir of the Cultural Revolution Poster Image

This book takes place in the 1960s, when Communists took over much of China, where the main character (and author), Ji-Li Jiang, grew up and later protested the Cultural Revolution. There is a bit of language and violence throughout the book.

My son read this for his 6th grade Pre-Ap Language Arts class. He said he liked it just fine. I read some of it to him and it left me wanting to read the whole book. I did have to explain to him what a "sanitary belt" was, other than that we didn't have any concerns with the book.

Dare to explain?

this book will have you stashing kleenex in nearby spots, its a heart wrenching story of a chinese girl who was brought up believing that the loyalty of her family should be traded for the help of bettering the community and society. This book truly captures the struggle of a teenage girl in a communist government struggling to battle many inner demons and outer. It contains deaths, abuse, and other things that are looked down on in our society, but in hers, people simply look the other way. I truly believe if you read this book you will see, we as Americans are lucky.

Must read for everyone

this book was so GOOD! and it was really touching. The only thing that was kind of bad for children was when An Yi's grandma committed suicide
not rated for age

A life-changing book!

Every American child should read this!! This is one of those books you can never forget- sad, moving, and heart-breaking!