Parent and Kid Reviews on

Our Review

Based on 5 parent reviews

Sort by:

This book sucks

This book was so bad I stopped reading it after the first chapter.🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

1 person found this helpful.

Excellent first person narrative of living during the cultural revolution of Mao's China from the view point of someone who is considered to part of a disgraced class. Good for middle school and high school students, elementary students might need a lot of cultural context to understand what is going on.

My son read this for his 6th grade Pre-Ap Language Arts class. He said he liked it just fine. I read some of it to him and it left me wanting to read the whole book. I did have to explain to him what a "sanitary belt" was, other than that we didn't have any concerns with the book.

Dare to explain?

this book will have you stashing kleenex in nearby spots, its a heart wrenching story of a chinese girl who was brought up believing that the loyalty of her family should be traded for the help of bettering the community and society. This book truly captures the struggle of a teenage girl in a communist government struggling to battle many inner demons and outer. It contains deaths, abuse, and other things that are looked down on in our society, but in hers, people simply look the other way. I truly believe if you read this book you will see, we as Americans are lucky.

Must read for everyone

this book was so GOOD! and it was really touching. The only thing that was kind of bad for children was when An Yi's grandma committed suicide