Kid reviews for Red Scarf Girl: A Memoir of the Cultural Revolution

Red Scarf Girl: A Memoir of the Cultural Revolution Poster Image

Captivating

I immediately loved the book and I found it so interesting. I read it when I was 12 and had just learned about that time period in China so to read about a girl my age and her struggle was very eye opening. I’d definitely recommend this novel to anyone interested in memoirs and historical fiction.

This memoir is brutal, but real.

"Red Scarf Girl" is set in China, in an awful movement called the Cultural Revolution, led by the Communist leader Chairman Mao. Ji-li's family need to survive while they are being turned on by Mao's army. Violence 7/10: Descriptions of beatings, suicide, and relentless (and reasonless) torture. Some of Ji-li's family members were victims of violence and torture by Mao's supporters and their horrible beliefs. Sex 0/10: None I can remember. Language 3/10: Mild, with only words like "damn". Drug use 0/10: Nothing I can remember.

Probably the best book I have ever read

This is a really emotional and touching book. The only thing I wish is that there was a sequel or a prequel!

Wonderful Story

I really enjoyed this novel! It deals with some difficult times involving the cultural revolution, and some details of the story were difficult to comprehend. This was definitely a page-turner! Overall, this is the unique story of a girl living in China during the cultural revolution, and you get to know her opinions and character. I recommend this book for 12+ because some aspects of the story and what the main character goes through are hard to read.

Really awesome

I think this is an emotional book and I like how it is actually REAL, and it makes everything clear about the Cultural Revolution. I read this book when my mom bought it when I was nine and I'm Chinese so my grandma told MY mom that the Cultural Revolution took most things wrong. I think this book explains that. Also to parents, I have no idea why people think this is for ages 12+. I understood it perfectly fine when I was 9 years old. The only thing bad about this book was that I think the ending was huge cliffhanger, although it did explain a little at the epilogue.

Great book

Horrible

It's horrible. I feel bad for Ji-li and all...... but the way she describes it, uhmm -BORINNGGGG!!!!!! It's like, THE WORST BOOK EVER.

ages 14+

i am reading this book at school and im 12 years old, we have to read it but i dont understand a thing !

I got bored

This book is very boring. I do feel pity for her life and what happened but she makes it sound so boring. If you have no life or friends or awareness of whats fun, then read this book. For those of you in touch with reality, don't read it, it's very boring and the name Grandpa Hong made me crack up. By the way, Ji-Li Jiang has very bad grammar.
not rated for age