All parent member reviews for Redwall: Redwall, Book 1

Parent of a 7 year old Written byronitld August 9, 2010
This book is creepy and violent. The main villian cluny, is pathological and the wanton cruelty is pervasive.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byRedwall Fan April 27, 2010

High vocabulary.. a Good read

Amazing! A fantasy tale that leaves me speechless. The food is described in great detail that my mouth waters, and the battles so epic and for a good cause but I feel so sad about the deaths of characters, but in the end, the peaceful Redwallers always prevail. I first heard the title and I said "Talking Animals! Are you serious? This is going to be stupid!" but I was wrong.... SO SO SO SO SO wrong.
Parent of a 9 and 10 year old Written bypkbos March 28, 2013

British humor & superhero animal characters

Exciting, imaginative change from superhero junk. Several of the books have female heros. My 10 1/2 yr old son has read 15 of the 21 books in the series, & loves them all.
Adult Written byBoxcarmystery January 28, 2010

Redwall: Good for tweens, but not all younger children...

I rather love the Redwall series. One of my concerns is, there is character death in the book, which not all parents are going to want to let their kids read about, because they simple aren't ready.The role models are good though, and one can look up to them. The message that the book has is a rather positive one too.
Adult Written byGerard1 April 9, 2008

My Favorite Book

Let Your 11 Year olds Read it It is great!
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byMattmchugh February 5, 2011

A well-crafted fantasy for school age to young teens

Think "Lord of the Rings" with mice. Or "Wind in the Willows" with medieval weaponry. Either way, you've got a fine fantasy epic for kids that doesn't talk down to them. It's well-written and richly detailed. Some of the descriptions do go on a bit (the accounts of banquet menus seemed like overkill on occasion), but the sophisticated language really does set the tone nicely. You may have to explain what a parapet or a halberd is, but context helps kids follow along. I read this to my kids when they were 5 and 7. A smart kid over 10 could read it themselves. Note that it does have scenes of combat, as well as some death and sadness, though nothing too graphic.
Adult Written byYemi June 30, 2010

Redwall: Simple Tween Read

This book has characters that grow on you, and end up growing through the series. Mathias goes from bumbling mouse to warrior with a turn of the season. The good guys win... though some people have come to be tiered of this in the series... the black and white almost seperationg between the animals. AKA, the goodbeast concist of herbavores, and the vermin concist of carnivores. But in this case, it makes logical sense.