All teen and kid member reviews for Redwall: Redwall, Book 1

Teen, 13 years old Written byLvl100uberpidgey January 7, 2010

Great book!

Most teens will likely say "Talking animals who go on adventures? How incredibly stupid!" I was a bit skeptical at first, but this series of books is incredible! They are very well written and leave you wanting more, which is okay because as of the time I wrote this review, there are about 20 books in the series, and all of them are stellar and live up to the amazing first book!
Kid, 12 years old November 14, 2010

For Redwaaaaaall!!!! Medieval Times Mixed With Animals!

How could I describe Redwall? The only book I love to read with an entire cast of animals! A little mouse is a lot more threatening with a legendary sword, no? I really enjoy this series! It is chock full of action, adventure, and comedy! As long as you know medieval speak, know that this is awesome!
Teen, 14 years old Written byRivern October 1, 2010

Marvelous Tale of Adventure and Lore

The book Redwall has always been one of my all time favorites. It's meaningful, it's smart, and it has a very good moral to it. The plot revolves around a young mouse, Matthias, that helps around the Abbey. When the evil Cluny the Scourge comes to Redwall with evil intent, it's up to young Matthias to find the legendary sword of Martin the Warrior, located deep within the cave of the dreaded adderhead, Amadeus. While Matthias goes through incredible challenges and faces his worst fears, he finds himself and true love along the way. A message to parents: This is a marvelously written book that will positively affect your child. Because it's tween and teen oriented, it has a great deal of violence, which can get brutal at times. However, Brian Jaques doesn't go into too much detail about deaths, just phrases like 'The sword went right through his middle, his eyes lulling back in his skull'. A message to kids: I remember back when I was eight or nine, I stumbled upon this book at the library. I thought it looked interesting and brought it home, only to find it was much better than I expected. I would strongly recommend checking out this book; it's almost as if someone is giving you a personal overlook as to what is happening.
Teen, 13 years old Written bypaperback.writer February 1, 2010

Favorite bookseries

Teen, 13 years old Written bybap425 April 9, 2008

Very entertaining, read in three days!

This is a great book, but must have pretty good reading skills, as it is very long and some language is hard to understand, moles in particular. It is about 400 pages long. Just because this book is about animals does not mean it is a little kid book. I think you should be about ten to read this, if you can handle harry potter you can definetly handle this.
Teen, 17 years old Written bySasayaku May 20, 2014

My New Favorite

I picked this book up after having it for years and never touching it. I was in need of three books from a series for a school project, and saw Redwall, Mossflower, and Mattimeo on my shelves. I picked each one up and read them cover to cover and fell head over heels for the magical world between the pages. The descriptive language is beautiful and poetic, especially during the feast scenes!
Teen, 13 years old Written byreadinthirtymin October 27, 2011

book with detail

Its a great book the whole series is great but you should read it to your kids the words are very sophisticated and hard to understand so you might have to explain like what a habbit is
Kid, 11 years old January 10, 2010

great

very good novel.
Teen, 13 years old Written by9001 November 13, 2009

Wonderful book, but too violent for young kids.

I love this book, and all of the other books in the Redwall series that I've read! This book does contain some intense violence and mild language, so I'd say 12+.
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

My Favorite Book Ever!

The title says it all!
Teen, 15 years old Written byanimalloverkt April 9, 2008

Wonderfully written, but...

This is a wonderful telling of a medieval abbey inhabited by mice, hedgehogs, badgers, hares, otters, and squirrels. (I think that's it...) This is the first in the series, and by far the one with the most plot and character developement. The detail is wonderful and, well...descriptive. (This is written in the style of Watership Down, another wonderfully written book, though it has a slow part toward the middle.) There is some violence. Some of the nice mouseys (as one of my younger friends describes them as) die deaths described in sometimes too much detail. Brian Jacques (pronounced 'Jakes') is setting up the rest of the series in this one volume. My mom has a comment though:"All the Redwall books have the same plot; something threatens the [Redwall] Abbey, and the main character goes on a quest for something with some other characters. The rest of the characters stay at the abbey and try and defend it. The questors (sp?) come back at just the right time, and save the abbey until the next book." This comment, for the most part, is completely accurate. I love this series personally, but sometimes requires multiple reads to completely understand it. Once you do, you will read them even more.
Teen, 17 years old Written byjcsoblonde April 9, 2008

one of the best series ever...

this book is really good, and if u like it u should check out the others in the series!! an awesum original, hard-to-put-down book, it keeps u hooked to the very end!!! however i would make sure u know wut ur kid and or u are able to read...cuz for kids it could be kinda hard bcuz of all the different dialects, and in all of the books there is violence. however, i found that the heros always taught great morals and etc. and the story is so good that they may read it anyway, and its also good for them to learn to read with all that kind of thing, instead of just normal english. a great book! even better ones are outcast of redwall, rakkety tam, and the bellmaker.
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

great

great and action-Packed.

An awesome book for all ages!

I have most of the Redwall series and have read more of it. Brian Jacque's captivating descriptions of feasts and wars can make anyone feel like they're in the book itself. I love the feel of the story and that he breaks it up into three smaller books, so you can pace your reading to a 'book' every two days. I recommend it to anyone who like fantasy and animals, but not for those who don't like a good medieval battle.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytabbycat August 19, 2016

Incredible book and series

The first time I read this book I was probably around 6 years old. Granted, that's not saying much. I read at a very high level, and always have. When I read this book I was reading at about the level of the common core 8th grade standard. It was a really, really immersive experience. I didn't really have any issues with the language or medieval aspects of this book. I live in a very history centered family, so this stuff has been around since day one. If you are not from a family that expects your children to know about medieval history, I would recommend that you are open to questions about how Abbeys are run, especially once you get to the second book of the series, Mossflower. Blood and gore wasn't really an issue for me, but if you have very sensitive children, you may want to be ready to remind them that these are not real people despite how real they feel.
Teen, 16 years old Written byLucan1010 January 21, 2016

Classic Fantasy Novel is Fantastic for Most Children

Violence: Sword-fighting, warfare, combat and peril among animals. Some descriptions of more violent acts such as blood or impalement, but it's not graphic and the impact is lessened as all the characters are animals. Sex: No sexual materiel but mild romance between two mice. Language: Villain uses the word "hell" frequently, sometimes as a swear and sometimes in the proper usage. Alcohol: Some drinking, but not in excess and not really a part of the plot.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySenebol February 14, 2013

Redwall Review

I loved this book greatly when I was younger. It was violent, but often shows positive heroes fighting off villains, so in a way, it has a positive role model. Apart from some drinking, few swearing (mostly just "hell"), and only marrying (without details), this book is great for kids 10-15
Kid, 9 years old March 31, 2012

Redwall

This is a great book. Some parts it is funny some parts its serious, but right when you think something bad's going to happen something good does.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytweeni January 7, 2010

perfect for adventure lovers!

Redwall is a great book for kids who love animals and fantasy. This book has a good dose of adventure in it. The violence isn't too realistic to scare younger kids and the plot is good enough to keep readers hooked.