Kid reviews for Refugee

Harrowing page-turner sheds light on child refugees.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySrirama Prabhav... October 4, 2018

A Heart - Touching Book

Refugee by Alan Gratz will remain as a classic for the coming generations. The book has a historical background. It fuses 3 different stories of 3 different families of different times. The book ends with an unexpected twist. The book is surely 13+... You will need a bit of maturity to read this book... There is a lot of violence. The book is dramatic. It is heart touching and tragic. At the end you will surely cry.
A beautiful book with which you can relate yourself.
Kid, 12 years old March 21, 2019

Absolutely Amazing!!!!!

This is a phenomenal book that my whole family enjoyed very much, I also read this at school in L.A. as a whole class and they all had a great time reading it as well. I suggest this book and hope that you enjoy it as much as I did!

Teen, 13 years old Written byembruce830 February 20, 2018

amazing.

This book is amazing! There is a lot of detail, but it doesn't make the book boring either. It is fairly easy to follow. No background knowledge is required to get a full understanding of the book. Gratz has created a work of art which needs to be praised. (Violence is present, but not to gruesome)

Teen, 13 years old Written byWealthyReaper January 22, 2020

Absolutely Terrible

DID NOT LIKE THE BOOK

Teen, 13 years old Written byisaiahzavaleta05 May 14, 2019

it is such a good book to start off reading if your a beginner reader and want something interesting it is 100% recommended

Kid, 12 years old April 27, 2019

Teen, 13 years old Written byCCK5018 March 19, 2019

An amazing read!

Absolutely brilliant!
This is a perfect read for ages 10 and up! It really makes you feel empathetic and relieved that you aren't in the situation of the refugees. WARNING: when you read this book, You'll never want to put it down! I read it in one day! A PERFECT book!!!!

Kid, 9 years old December 1, 2018

Sad but amazingly good

This is an amazing book. It is also very sad and if you do not like sad books I would recommend reading with a parent. Three brave children (Josef, Isabel, and Mahmoud) try to escape their home land where various tragic things are happening. After reading this book, I feel so lucky to have a good and intact home that is not in war. The way Alan Gratz wrote it, it feels like you're on the Saint Louis (a famous ship) with Josef or in Cuba with Isabel. So I urge you to READ THIS BOOK! It's worth all the sadness you go through. (When you are done Alan Gratz also has some other awesome books you can read.)

Teen, 14 years old Written byBook12 November 6, 2018

Must read

I love this book! I think this is a great book to read. It has a lot of emotions all mixed togeteher. I think that anyone in any age will love this book!

Teen, 14 years old Written byNivolleyball October 12, 2018

Good for Teens.

I think it's good for teens because they get to learn new vocabulary. That a lot of kids will not understand. Some people think it's good for younger kids, but I don't think it is because it talks about and other stuff that goes on. Younger kids may not understand what goes on in this book unlike teenagers. This book includes real-life events and event that is still going on today.

Teen, 13 years old Written byParrotMan September 30, 2018

It's OK but not great.

Though most historical fiction books can be pretty boring, this book is less of a bore than others of its kind; however, this does not say much due to the fact that it is still boring regardless, and I feel it is not worth reading. Some parts can be mildly interesting but for the most part they can drag on and make the book a completely intolerable read.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBookGuy2001 February 4, 2020

Jarring narrating, unbelievable circumstances, unlikeable characters, and cliche ending

So where do I start? I really dont like this book. I had to read it for the California Young Reader thing at school and its so bad. The story switches from person to person (there are 3 main characters) and it feels really jarring when you are in one plot and then it suddenly switches to another one. The circumstances are just one bad thing after another (eg. another ship in the water, then a storm, the engine stops, sharks, coast guard, the boat leaks, there is someone pregnant, etc) and it seems like they really wanted something to go wrong every end of chapter to get the reader to be kept in suspense. (also shark attacks are rarer than being struck than lightning and Mark Rober proved that they weren't even attracted to blood) But all the action makes it so you feel no connection to the character and dont really feel invested in what happens to them. A side character died in the middle of one the stories and I literally did not care at all because there was no development and no reason to care. Finally, the author was going for an Echo like story with three story that were all connected but it felt so cliche and rushed. I would not reccomend, it has a good premise with three stories about refugees, a topic that more people need to explore and know about, but it fell short

Kid, 11 years old March 19, 2019

Very good

I read it when I was nine and I was very pleased with it. It is a story about three refugee children all escaping their homes because of wars, starvation etc. Very educational though might bother kids under 9.

Teen, 13 years old Written bycaroline223344 July 16, 2018

Kid, 12 years old August 30, 2017

A Harrowing And Exciting Book About War

JOSEF is a Jewish boy living in 1930s Nazi Germany. With the threat of concentration camps looming, he and his family board a ship bound for the other side of the world . . .

ISABEL is a Cuban girl in 1994. With riots and unrest plaguing her country, she and her family set out on a raft, hoping to find safety in America . . .

MAHMOUD is a Syrian boy in 2015. With his homeland torn apart by violence and destruction, he and his family begin a long trek toward Europe . . .

All three kids go on harrowing journeys in search of refuge. All will face unimaginable dangers -- from drownings to bombings to betrayals. But there is always the hope of tomorrow. And although Josef, Isabel, and Mahmoud are separated by continents and decades, shocking connections will tie their stories together in the end. (Book Summary)
I just finished this book today and Alan Gratz has done it again! It's a long book just around three hundred and thirty pages, but I finished it in under a day. There's many great educational values inside including facts about war, refugees and what you can do to help, maps of journeys, etc. There are also great messages including never give up, it's good to help people in need, courage, compassion and love are also hidden in between the pages. I would say there is a lot of violence in this book, including shark bites, drownings, deaths, bullets, beatings, talks of concentration camps, an attempted suicide, missile strikes, deaths. Nothing is to graphic that people above ten years old can't handle. Language, drinking and smoking or sexiness is not used in this book. There are great role models like Isabel, Joseph and Mahomad who are courageous and try their hardest in the face of evil. The adults are responsible and usually are supportive. This book is amazing and just like all the other books does not gloss over the atrocities of war. It'l make you laugh at one page and cry in anguish at another so just be prepared. I would highly recommend this book, check it out at the library or order it soon!

Teen, 13 years old Written byArtisticAnimeGrl January 8, 2022

Amazing book!!!

I love this book sooo much, it has a special place in my heart. I love how all of the characters are children of different places and times but all are struggling to find refugee. Mahmoud, Isabel, and Josef are all amazing main characters and I really recommend reading this. It made me cry a couple times just because of how realistic it is. AN UNDERRATED MUST READ!! There is lots of violence and mature topics though so 11+ is the best age to read this book. Also the beginning is a little slow but keep reading because it really takes off!

Teen, 13 years old Written byShrekTheMinion December 15, 2021
Teen, 13 years old Written byI_kinda_like_books September 21, 2021

An amazing book from start to finish.

As someone who hasn't picked up something to read in a while, this book was a great experience. The characters are inspirational but also go through some troubles that kids can relate to. Occasionally, the word "hell" is used, and "piss" is used once, so there's minor language issues. There is some graphic violence depicted, including blood, corpses, drowning, shootings, and bombings. If you have a teen who's interested in historical events whatsoever, I highly suggest you get them this book.

Kid, 11 years old June 28, 2021
I just read this book, and I enjoyed the way it tackled real world problems with fictional characters. I think it's for 11+ because there was violence and and scariness. (gun violence and mention of concentration camps) It was an exciting story, and I would recommend this title.

Teen, 16 years old Written byHello 4 June 4, 2021

Alan Gratz books are the best!!!!!

My comment isn't based on this Alan Gratz book but just based on all Alan Gratz books. I have read 6 Alan Gratz books, refugee, code of honor, grenade,allies,1065, and 9/11 and I love every single one. Originally I really didn't like history, because all I read in history books was facts, and it just felt so boring, but Alan Gratz books really captivated me and brought me into his story about history, and made learning history one of my favorite things in the world. Alan Gratz books aren't happy,so don't always expect a happy ending, because that's just not how history was, but for anyone who loves history, or wants to really learn to love history, Alan Gratz books are meant for you.