Kid reviews for Ruin and Rising: The Grisha Trilogy, Book 3

Rousing, romantic finale to fantasy set in alternate Russia.

No reviews yetAdd your rating

Teen, 14 years old Written byKaitlyn_reads January 13, 2021

Everything you need to know about this trilogy

So basically shadow and bone takes place in the Grishaverse where the Grisha which have powers rule over the regular class. I don’t want to say anything else because I don’t want to spoil anything, but you can look up the back blurb online.
I absolutely LOVED this trilogy. It gets a lot of hate, but I think it’s great. I will admit that there isn’t a lot of diversity and it wasn’t Leigh bardugo’s best book...but it was also her first book. He diversity becomes better as you read her other books. I think this is great for people who love six of crows and want more of the grishaverse. I haven’t gotten to reading it yet, but It’s in the same universe and I’ve heard nothing but good things. It’s on the top of my TBR!
There is mild violence including creatures called colors devouring people but it’s not described and definitely appropriate for anyone over 10. I would have rated this 10+ but I feel like this reading level is a little high for people that age—even as someone who has been an advanced reader my whole life, this would have too much for me at 10. There is no sex in this book but in Ruin and Rising ( the third book in the trilogy) there is one scene that isn’t descriptive at all. In this book there is a make out scene against a wall, but if you’ve already been exposed to this kind of writing it’s fine. I definitely wouldn’t call this book spicy.
Overall this series is great and if you’re reading this and aren’t bothered by the things I’ve said then this trilogy is awesome and you should go read it!
Teen, 15 years old Written bybooklover156 July 6, 2017

not for 13 year olds!!!

I don't really understand why this is rated as for 13 year olds. There is a whole sex scene even though it is described as mostly kissing, but they are clearly having sex!! This would be R rated if it was a movie so I would strongly caution against it being read at too early an age. It is for the parent to decide always, but I am sure if a child reads such things at that age they will end up with the wrong views about this important subject. I loved the first two books even though they were suggestive at some parts too, but I am going to have to find out more about Leigh Bardugo's books first before I read them, and would caution other people my age to do the same before picking them up. That being said I really love the characaters in this series and am very sorry that the author did not regulate the content more.

Teen, 13 years old Written bymaevey May 31, 2020

I hated the ending.

there is more violence and there is a mention of r*ape. Also there is a *** scene but its not explicit. Overall my biggest disappointment was the ending, it didn't do the series justice absolute worst ending I've ever read.

Teen, 13 years old Written byNaida March 25, 2020

Beautifully written with violence

This book is amazing. I loved it all, with all its violence, love, tension and the final peaceful ending.
There is a lot of love, but no graphic sex scenes. I especially loved the scene with Alina, Zoya, Tamar, Nadia and Genya having a lovely chat while dressing up. Sounds boring, but it made a nice break from all the violence.
A perfect finale to a (quite violent) series which I loved and recommend to anyone who can stomach a bit of gore.

Kid, 10 years old May 11, 2021

Amazing

This book was incredible. The world of Ravka will bring you to a place that you never want to leave. I was looking at some of the comments and some are suggesting about the “sex scene”. When I read this I didn’t find it was to much. Personally I thought it was more of a scheme of them making out. If you where to compare this scene to scenes in breaking dawn (the twilight saga) I would say 3
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheSpeedReader November 14, 2018

Lovely Reading

I believe this book is okay,and really just like reading whatever I can get my hands on. If you or others want to read, encourage it! They aren't going to be protected/sensored in the real world from this anyway!

Teen, 15 years old Written byDoodles3 June 26, 2018

Sad and Sweet

An amazing, sweet but sad ending to this series. Definitely recommend.
Teen, 15 years old Written byinejghafa March 28, 2018