Kid, 12 years old March 10, 2010

BAD! WHATS THE BIG DEAL!

i honestly don't get what is the big deal over this book i mean it's so boring. All it has is a boring story with a list of rules. Don't waste your money!!!!!!
Kid, 11 years old December 7, 2011

What will Catherine do?!

I think that Cynthia Lord did a really good job making such a big deal into a loose, easy going, fun novel. It can make you laugh at times and sometimes frown. I really felt hate for Catherine, and that's good! Catherine always wanted a friend, and she gets what she wants! Her friend is pretty, and she can't help to feel compared. Her little brother has autism, and she finds that embarrassing. There's Jason, Ryan, and her mom and dad! Catherine wants to make friends with her neighbor, but is her neighbor nice, or using her? Does jason have a sweet crush on her? What will Ryan do next!? Catherine wants attention, what will she ever do?!
Kid, 11 years old January 14, 2011

GREAT BOOK!

I just finished this AMAZING book and i absolutely LOVED it! I could even kind of relate to Catherine. It sends out great messages and there was not ONE time in the book where I was bored! If I had to be concerned about ANYTHING I would say there is the tiniest bit of romance (a 12 yr old girl goes to a dance with a 14 yr old boy and there is some EXTREMELY mild flirting) Anyone under 10 could read it but I think kids from 10-14 would understand Catherine and her feelings more.
Kid, 12 years old January 25, 2012

Awesome!!Book. Not.Stinks a big one!!!

Awesome book! It tells about a girl who has to deal with her brother who has autism. Trying to fit in with her new normal neighbor is hard with her brother around ruining everything. Being good friends with a boy from Catherine's brothers OT ( Occupational Therapy) might be much better then friends with her next door neighbor who is friends with a big jerk at her school.
Kid, 11 years old October 21, 2011

Hi!

I think that it is a very nice and interesting book that I would love to read again. However, I can't find the climax in the book that is the only problem!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :P :D XD
Kid, 11 years old May 6, 2010
i read it with my class and every body in my class loved it so read & enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byMy Autistic Brother March 24, 2010

My little brother ( :

I Love this book! It really touches me. Because I am an older sister(14) Of an Autistic Brother. Who is 7 years old. All the stuff David does Reminds me of my brother. Well except for the talking part.
Teen, 14 years old Written byemmers2000 January 21, 2012

BEST Book Ever!!!

I love this book. I have a brother with Autism so it was nice to know that im not alone.
Kid, 11 years old February 17, 2011

perfect for tweens

is a pretty good book I like how Catherine the main character always tried to stick up for David her brother with autism even when she was sort of frustrated and she was really nice to Jason a boy who goes to her brothers occupational therapy “OCT” who is not able to talk and he has a communication book . Catherine likes to draw and during “OCT” Miss Morehouse Jason’s mom catches Catherine drawing a picture of Jason and than she asks Catherine to draw a picture for some of the communication book. It sends a great message and I would think tweens would like it.
Kid, 11 years old October 11, 2009

Unpositive messages for 9 year olds

i think that it has some misleading "rules" for younger children. EX: leaving out isnt the same as lying....
Teen, 13 years old Written byjoshhklee November 20, 2008

A touching yet thrilling story about a girl with a brother who always get in trouble.

This book is about a girl named Catherine who wishes she had a normal brother. Her brother David, has autism. So he does not understand life as other people do. She has a friend who has just moved to her next door. But a friend who is dating her worst enemy. A boy who is in a wheelchair and can't speak who has a crush on her. And an overworked father who she thinks does not care a single bit about.
Kid, 12 years old October 7, 2016

Worst book I've read in 3 years!

I had to do a book report on a Newbury Honor Book, so I chose this. Who are these judges? They made a horrible choice! It always seems like it will get good, but it never does. The plot is so uninteresting, as it never goes anywhere. The main character fails at her objective. And the character that lures people in to read this book, the autistic brother, David, is barely even in this story. And when he is, he makes very little changes to the plot. It was like he was an afterthought, not meant to be in the story but got in last minute and never did anything. I can also say that the main character is a bad person, enhancing Jason's bad behavior, and also writing some disrespectful rules for David. She is also very dishonest. I could take up gigabytes of space saying how bad this book is, but I've made my point very clear. DON'T READ THIS BOOK!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byjordangunner9 October 28, 2010

Books for 9+

I really like the bok because it has a lot of good messages and I was full of zeal when i read this book. I like how Catherine deals with her brother having Autism. I think that she deals with the situation very well.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymayy17 January 3, 2010

perfect for children of all ages

one of the best books ive read in a while.
Kid, 11 years old January 2, 2010

perfect for older kids

i think that this is a good book i read it twice
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written byKdrewk May 5, 2016

Great book!

This was a short but sweet read! This book was only 200 pages long and I finished it in a day and a half, but it was so heartwarming, and every page had importance in the book! There were not many filler scenes, each page went right to the point which I really enjoy in books, you don't get bored as easily XD. Catherine, at first, was really scared to show and tell people about her autistic brother, David, and her paraplegic friend, Jason. She was afraid of what her new neighbour, Kristi, would think of her and that she would diss her because she hung out with them. Despite this, Catherine was a very sweet friend to Jason, and I feel like they really understood each other well. She looked beyond Jason's disabilities and saw the real him, which can sometimes be hard for people to do, even if they don't admit it. I loved David as well. He was so cute, and Catherine was a very helpful and protective sister to him! She always tried her very best to be as patient as she could be towards him, and for the most part, it worked! For lovers of Wonder, Out of my Mind, and Counting by 7's (reviews of those books to come), this book is a winner!
Teen, 13 years old Written bybennern21 April 25, 2016

Rules

I think it's a wonderful piece of work showing the difficulty of having an autistic family-member.
Teen, 15 years old Written byshoeman March 5, 2014

ChickensRcool

Good
Kid, 11 years old April 8, 2013

Great Book About Kids With Special Needs

This is a great book for kids. I read it with my fourth grade class last year, and loved it! Rules is a great educational book because it teaches about kids with autism and also, physically disabled. Catherine is a positive role model because she is nice to her brother, David, who has autism, and makes friends with Jason, a fifteen year old boy who can't walk and can't speak. I think kids five and under won't really understand this book, so don't read it to your child unless their six and up.