All parent member reviews for Runaway

Parent of a 13 year old Written byReader1107711 September 28, 2009

Perfect for Tweenies & Up.

I loved this book. The violence may be something, But it carries out with a great message. And is a GREAT read.
Adult Written bywtfceline October 14, 2014

I'm 15 years old. I began reading Runaway when I was in 7th grade (age 12) unfortuantely I checked out the book from my school library 1 week before school ended so I had to return the book the next day. This school year, I am in 10th grade and my teacher has the book. I finished reading it, and I believe the theme has a valuable lesson. I personally enojoyed reading this book.
Adult Written byMyMy7 April 17, 2011
I really like this book. It was kindove easy but it was a good book.
Adult Written byMOW March 13, 2010

Ok, but there are books that are more worth their time

I read this book concurrently with my son who got it as an assignment for a 7th grade reading class. I am really liberal about what my kids read, and I worked at a homeless shelter for a while, so I'm also keen on my son learning about difficult social and moral issues. My criticism of this book is that I found Holly to be a completely unbelievable character--like the "Eloise" or "Junie B Jones" of the homeless world. Her street smarts seem basically plausible, but her voice, vocabulary, and knowledge of the world left me feeling just how invented she was. I can see that the author spent some time in the venues she describes, but I find it hard to believe that she spent any time with 12-year-old street-raised post-foster-system runaways. Bottom line, if you value the time your kids spend reading, pick a book that does not waste it.