Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Seven Wonders Book 1: The Colossus Rises

Super-teens clash with ancient history in OK series start.

Parent Written byyounghorses December 26, 2015

Graphic scenes I wasn't aware of

I read reviews of this book before starting to read it to my almost 10 year old and thought it sounded great. We read the Percy Jackson and Kane series together and have started HP as well. So I was looking forward to some historical fiction or education of some kind as far as the seven wonders is concerned. While this book is exciting and pretty clean, I would say that nobody mentioned anything about the EXTREMELY graphic part about 3/4 through the book where one of the main characters falls the equivalent of 15 stories and his body is found with chunks of body parts MISSING, teeth scattered like chiclets, face misshapen- all graphically described by the author. My son wasn't sure if he'd be able to fall asleep that night because he said he couldn't get the image of strewn body parts out of his mind. Overall this book is fine (no actual historical education going on in this first book at least) but sure wish I'd been prepared with that part of the story before delving into it with my kid. For the age range specified, and as tame as the rest of the book is, I thought that part made the whole book inappropriate for my nearly 10 year old. Star rating would have been higher if there was a truly historical value to reading this, as I had imagined.

Parent Written byRick H. October 4, 2016
Adult Written byMom98502 September 5, 2018

Poor character development

I was looking for a series of audiobooks to follow the Harry Potter series, which is a high standard to meet. This was s total flop. The characters were completely undeveloped with little personality or emotional depth. Their decisions made no sense. It just wasn’t an enjoyable read. We quit 3/4 of the way through.