All parent member reviews for Seven Wonders Book 1: The Colossus Rises

Parent Written byyounghorses December 26, 2015

Graphic scenes I wasn't aware of

I read reviews of this book before starting to read it to my almost 10 year old and thought it sounded great. We read the Percy Jackson and Kane series together and have started HP as well. So I was looking forward to some historical fiction or education of some kind as far as the seven wonders is concerned. While this book is exciting and pretty clean, I would say that nobody mentioned anything about the EXTREMELY graphic part about 3/4 through the book where one of the main characters falls the equivalent of 15 stories and his body is found with chunks of body parts MISSING, teeth scattered like chiclets, face misshapen- all graphically described by the author. My son wasn't sure if he'd be able to fall asleep that night because he said he couldn't get the image of strewn body parts out of his mind. Overall this book is fine (no actual historical education going on in this first book at least) but sure wish I'd been prepared with that part of the story before delving into it with my kid. For the age range specified, and as tame as the rest of the book is, I thought that part made the whole book inappropriate for my nearly 10 year old. Star rating would have been higher if there was a truly historical value to reading this, as I had imagined.
Parent Written byRick H. October 4, 2016

Best book my son has read