Kid reviews for Shadow and Bone: The Grisha Trilogy, Book 1

Thrilling, exotic fantasy romance gets pretty violent.

Based on 1 review

Teen, 16 years old Written byJflores14 August 22, 2015

Dazzling first book is sure to wow teen readers

This book is so so so gooood!!!!! I loved it and read it in one day:) lots of violence and romance to keep both boys and girls interested!
CONTENT:
VIOLENCE- (6/10) peril and lots of action, people get killed, stabbed, punched, eaten by creatures, cut in half, murdered, etc.
SEX- one make out scene that isn't graphic( a boy kisses a girls neck and lifts up her dress to touch her thighs) and lots of sexual tensioN, references to a girl being forced to have sex with the king in exchange for jewels
LANGAUGE- only a couple of ass and he'll
MY RATING: PG-13/ for violent and disturbing images, some sexual content, and some alcohol use

Educational Value
Teen, 15 years old Written byreynaaa June 15, 2020
Teen, 13 years old Written bymaevey May 31, 2020

Amazing book!!

I think this was an amazing first book and there isn't anything bad in the book rather than a tiny bit of violence. It's easily one of my favorite books. There is romance but it isn't explicit. Also as the series go's on it gets darker but I still think if you were good with the first book you'll be fine with the rest.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLilyM06 April 25, 2020

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really love this book and the series it has great world building and relatable characters you can sympathise with. Also it's relatively clean soooo ya. it's a great book!

Teen, 14 years old Written byJem445 February 18, 2020

Love it!

Be aware that there is violence, a heavy make-out scene, and some swearing (but never f***).
Can get dark.
A lot of this book may go over a younger kid's head.

Teen, 13 years old Written byEvaevaeva February 6, 2020
Teen, 13 years old Written by24efederer February 19, 2019
Teen, 17 years old Written bypaypay_247 December 19, 2018

It was good

It was a good book and i am excited to start on the sequal

Teen, 13 years old Written byGabiHarthan October 9, 2018

the best

this is my favorite book series! 10/10 recommended. the magic is subtle yet there enough it engulfs you to another land.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDoodles3 June 25, 2018

Action Packed

Enjoying book which makes you want to read the next.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylerivaille January 21, 2018

Cliche, light fantasy read

I have mixed feelings about this book. The prologue started was strong and atmospheric, and I expected the rest of the book to be more like this. At some point, however, the plot started to sag from the Russian-inspired fantasy I was promised into an angst-lavished teenage romance set in a palace. There was so much potential in this book, but the author chose to riddle the book with exhausted tropes halfway into the book. If you're expecting an actual fantasy, this is not the book for you. However, Shadow and Bone is a decent, light read for those not too concerned about the cliches.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJar Jar Abrams December 3, 2015

Shadow and Bone: The Grisha Trilogy, Book 1

Imagine your favorite book. Your favorite book in the world.
Good?
Now think about which genre that book falls into.
OK?
Now, compare all of your favorite books together and figure out which genre those fall into.
Still here?
Good.
Now if that genre falls into the realm of Slavic Fantasy with a touch of Magic Realism, then this book is for you! Although it is a good storyline, and I would read it regardless of whether or not it fell into my favourite genre of reading.

Now, on to the Review!

Written in First Person, this novel narrates the tale of Alina Starkov, a young girl living in Ravka, a divergent Tsarist Russia around the 1800's, in the face of the Shadow Fold, an inky black strip of impenetrable darkness, slowly dripping across the land.
I'm not going to give away to many facts about the book, for that would ruin the effect of reading it.

It is a marvellously written story, with many, many intricate plot twists and magnificently written charachters. It is a wholly rounded story, with next to no weak spots or long passages of boring dialogue. I can promise that this book will have you hooked till the very end, cause it sure did for me.

All in all, I would rate this book a 9 out of 10. 2 points for the plot, 2 points for the charachters, 2 points for the writing, 2 points for the descriptions, and 1 point for the Shadow Fold, which I thought was to underwritten.
Teen, 17 years old Written byKanyeIsTheNewGrande April 22, 2015

Dark, and depressing, but very enjoyable

The book is fairly violent, but when there is violence, it's gruesome. Some explode into chunks at the bidding of people, and some get carried away by monsters similar to the lassos that the aliens used in the beginning of Cowboys and Aliens. The ideas aren't too gruesome, but the descriptions are grotesque. While this may turn some people off, I feel like the book is very enjoyable. The setting is interesting, the characters intrigue me, and the pacing is perfect. This book is a must read if you are tired of reading hunger games-esque books
Teen, 13 years old Written byGodlovesyoudearly381 October 6, 2014

love it!

This book has a lot of violence. Even though it does, it is a very good book. It has very good grammar and good vocabulary words. I would say no kids under 13 should be reading this. has inappropriate times.

Teen, 14 years old Written byreadqueen September 23, 2014

A great fantasy book

Alina and her best friend Mal live in a world full of Grisha. Grisha are humans with supernatural powers that control the society they live in. When Alina and Mal are old enough, they get tested to see if they possess any of the Grisha powers; both their tests come back negative. Many years later as they continue to live in poverty, Alina, despite the negative test results, begins to show signs of Grisha. The Darkling, the leader of the Grisha, takes her to their camp in order to begin her training. As Alina becomes more comfortable with the Grisha she begins to learn some secrets that the Darkling would do anything to keep hidden, and she begins to realize the true reasons why he wants to train her.

I originally picked this book up because I am going to YallFest in November and Leigh Bardugo is going to be there. As I started this book, I wasn't too sure if I would like it. The further I got into it, the more I enjoyed it until I absolutely loved it. The main thing I like in fantasy books is world building and this book had a lot of it, although not enough of it to be boring. Another thing that I liked about this book was how unpredictable it was. I liked that I figured all the twists out at the same time Alina did. I loved this book and I've already bought the second one. I'm excited to see how the story continues.

My favorite character was Mal because he never gave up on anyone or anything.

This book had Medium swearing, medium romance and medium violence.

Teen, 13 years old Written byShibedog September 4, 2013

Very original, great story

I, personally, loved the eerie plot and ominous feeling. I'm 13 and read this for a school project and loved the tense story. But I love dark stories like this, it'd be good to know if they can handle some contents.

Teen, 13 years old Written byNomacop January 2, 2013

shadow and bone

It is very original, and it is a beautiful world with an interesting plot.

Educational Value
Kid, 11 years old June 9, 2012

Probably OK.... Sounds a little scary though........

I have not read this book, but I think I could handle the content. (Being 12 years old.) I might wait a year to make sure though. I can read some boos that on common sense media say are good for 13 and older. This one I don't know for sure though. I wonder if you've read Hunger Games and Divergent, if I would not be like, scarred reading it. From what I've heard, it is supposed to be really good.