All parent member reviews for Shine

Adult Written byhamstergurl09 May 26, 2012

Really Heavy

Typically I'm not a fan of Lauren Myracle, because her books tend to be kind of girly and contain numerous failed attempts at pop culture references. This book, however, is excellent. It's compelling and well written. It's hard to put this book down. I like Cat because I feel that she is a strong female lead, who will stop at nothing to find out who hurt her friend. But this book is really depressing. Every character has some sort of sad or bad thing that has happened or is happening to them. Some parts are hard to read. I would recommend this for a mature person looking for a serious but very interesting read.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 24, 2012

shine

Families can talk about award-winning books. Shine was mistakenly nominated for a National Book Award, and the author ultimately withdrew from the competition. How important are awards to you? Why do you think they might be important to authors -- and publishers? What is Shine's message about tolerance -- and the fear that many gay kids grow up with? How realistic do you think her book is? What's special about the setting that Myracle creates here? Is it one that we see very often in the media? What details stick out the most for you? Do you have hope for Cat, Patrick, or the other characters in Black Creek?