All parent member reviews for Slaughterhouse-Five

Adult Written byDominicboo1 February 5, 2014

Satirical Yet Unentertaining

This book is a mess. Not one word makes sense, and it's overly repetitive. YOU CAN"T DRINK A GLASS OF WATER WITHOUT IT BEING A SYMBOL! I get the purpose, but it seems like Vonnegut might have been a slight misanthrope...
Parent Written bySerenityFish November 1, 2013

Amazing book :)

I read Slaughterhouse 5 when I was 11 and from then on, I had a period when I read only Kurt Vonnegut Jr's works. It's great, but it may be hard to understand. I would have read it when I was 9/10 or so if I knew about this book but it could be hard for 9 year old (and younger) to understand what was going on. Even as an 11-year old, it was slightly difficult so I had to reread this book several times.
Adult Written byThalfred April 9, 2008

This book is amazing.

Sex: A lot of references. I think that CSM basically got everything except that it should also be noted that , near the end of the book, there is a picture of bare breasts. Violence: When it comes to books, violence doesn't really bother me but, if your really picky about that sort of thing, check the CSM review. Language: Language, too, really doesn't bother me. It's just words. At the same time however, there is a lot so I've given it an iffy rating even though I personally don't really mind. Review: I read this book when I was twelve and it didn't phase me. Now that I look at this list, however, I feel like I ought to put the same rating as CSM but the thing is that I wasn't bothered and I don't really believe that books (or other forms of media) can really affect people's lives. When I read this, it didn't really seem all that bad to me and I doubt that it will traumatize today's kids.
Adult Written byJEDI micah December 6, 2012

THE BEST SCI-FI NOVEL EVER!!!

This book is definitely sci-fi, at its best! It combines aliens with time travel, and it does so in a way that is actually coming from the imagination of the novel's main character. While language and sex are the main things that makes this book for older teens, it is still an amazing book! It allows you to use your imagination to depict what is happening! I have used my imagination to depict the war scenes, and even though it's in my head, IT LOOKS AWESOME! Another thing that makes this book great is that it teaches you how humans have no idea of how to maintain peace, which allows the reader to think of ways of maintaining peace. I seriously would love to read this book again! This book, along with "Of Mice And Men" and, of course, the Bible, are my favorite books!
Adult Written bydhivya January 24, 2009