Parent reviews for Something Happened in Our Town: A Child's Story About Racial Injustice

Something Happened in Our Town: A Child's Story About Racial Injustice Poster Image

Based on 1 review

No reviews yet.

Add your rating

A difficult topic handled gracefully

Please ignore the one-star reviews from the angry, defensive blowhards; they're not an accurate assessment of the book, at all. We watched a Youtube video of this book, since they didn't have it at our local library and I didn't necessarily want to buy it. It's a difficult and necessary subject that kids need to know, and the book serves as a sort of parents' starting point to talking about racial injustice in America. I say "starting point" because objectively, it still has problems--namely, the language of the book simplifies systemic racism into more personal bias--it is described as a pattern of "being nice to white people and mean to Black people." Which, I mean, that simplification is necessary when writing a book directed at children, but adults should be aware of the shortcomings of this (understandable) simplification, and be ready to correct/clarify/expand.

1 person found this helpful.