All teen and kid member reviews for Stargirl

Kid, 11 years old February 2, 2011

Quite Possibly the Best Book I Have Ever Read

This is a REALLY good book. Leo may not be the best role model, but I really think that Stargirl is because she acts like... herself, no matter what other people think of her. There are some mean characters, but Stargirl always does what she thinks is right. There is a kiss, and some hand holding and general displays of affection. Overall, a very good book for mature people to read, but not really little kids.
Kid, 12 years old November 14, 2010
I had some doubts about this book going into it. I mean, I didn't really like the sound of a book called 'Stargirl'. Man, was I wrong. Stargirl can be related to by anyone who has ever felt weird, or like they are being shunned by the entire world. (Oh, just saying, this book is probably appropriate for 9+, but I think you have to be middle-school age and up to really appreciate it.) Stargirl is a wonderful person, and the end made me get teary. Very good book.
Teen, 13 years old Written bythedogdays August 3, 2012

A 6th Grade Read

Honestly, I didn't like this book. It gives a good message to the reader, that being popular isn't what is important in life. However, it wasn't a very interesting story and there is no plot to follow.
Kid, 12 years old May 2, 2011

I love it to bits!!!

It is the sweetest book in the whole world, my favorite book. Some people say it has a boring plot or it is a girly book, but that isn't true. Sure, to some it IS going to be boring. I loved Little Women and my teacher found it boring. It just depends on your personality. Don't dismiss it as a "girly" book. That is why my friend said and I nearly threw my backpack at him. Yes, there is romance, but that doesn't make it a girls-only book! He has never read it and doesn't know what it's about. I think it might be the title, "StarGIRL" that turns many boys away. She can't well name herself "Starboy," can she? It is narrated by a boy, and it does not circulate around their romance; it is about being yourself, being kind, and finding out who you are in a place where being different is not well received. And can you believe all this was written by a twelve year old? :)
Kid, 12 years old April 5, 2013

Man tears, nerd word, and awkward phases

For any on who has gone through an awkward stage, or where you have felt different from everyone else. Then, you are just the beginning of the twisting novel that made a couple of my male classmates shed a man tear. This is a beautiful story taking you through fantastically strange and twist and turns. Love this novel. Thinking about writing a screenplay, nerd word. Peace, Phebe
Kid, 12 years old October 18, 2012

just don't read this. ever

so so so so so so so so so so so so bad
Teen, 17 years old Written bytessicamillion April 28, 2011

It is a well-written book, but not very interesting.

I really didn't enjoy this book, it constantly lost my attention. I believe it has a good message, but it is simply one of those books where you keep reading to see if anything interesting happens, but nothing ever does.
Teen, 15 years old Written byClearastheSea April 13, 2011

Perfect for 10+

'Stargirl' is wonderful because it shows how being different in society can both change others and turn others against you. The character of Stargirl is wonderfully unusual and inspires kids and teens to be themselves.
Kid, 10 years old June 9, 2010

GREAT BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think stargirl is a great book for pre-teens .It has a great message about just being yourself no matter what people think.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDappled_Dag April 5, 2009

Stargirl

Oh, it was ok, but I liked the second book better, even though it ruins the mysteriousness of Stargirl. It's sad that Leo wasn't in it....
Teen, 13 years old Written bynevr ben kissd April 9, 2008

really good

it tells you to stand out&be yourself, but keep it at a controllable degree.even though it wasn't my type of book,it is, now.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySavannah jones October 4, 2015

Pretty good

Stargirl in my opinion is a good book but not a great one. The reason I say this is because in the beginning of the book it was very slow. For example when the main character does something like even just walking they take forever to tell us that she is walking because they are too busy describing everything else. Some readers may love how desciptive the author was in this book but I would've enjoyed the book alot more if it weren't so slow during the beginning. The ending did catch my attention though and was worth waiting for. I chose ages ten and up to read this book the reason i chose this particular age range was because it is a child friendly book since there is no foul language or inappropriateness in the book ,but there are some word that not all younge ages will be able to read.

Stargirl is turning into a movie!

Stargirl is a wonderful and sweet role model! It has a sweet message and teaches kids to be theirself and to be nice to everyone! The reason why I put 12+ is because kids in Middle School will get this book more then a kid in Elementary School. Stargirl is also turning into a movie!! But unfortunately it is going to be directed by the same women who directed Twilight, I hope she doesn't mess it up...

Teen, 17 years old Written bynix April 9, 2008

must read, GREAT!!

It was a great book with different meanings to different people. All my friends in my book club adored this book and they couldn't put it down! A must read for anybody, it shows you that everybody goes through a stage of not knowing who they are.
Teen, 13 years old Written byam2017 December 14, 2016

Good book for tween/teen girls

I picked up Stargirl to read as an easy read but ended up really enjoying it. This book is thought-provoking and a little mythical but still realistic. Stargirl is a classic teen/tween girl book. This is a book that you get lost in and never want to find your way out of. You will also want to become best friends with the main characters. The author of this book, Jerry Spinelli, has written many other books, including Wringer, which received a Newbery Honor citation, and Maniac Magee. He also wrote a sequel to Stargirl named Love, Stargirl which is also a great book about Stargirl and her life after she leaves Mica. Leo is the narrator in this book. He moved to Mica when he was about 12. He now is a junior at Mica High. On the first day of school that year, the name on everyone’s lips was, Stargirl, a sophomore that was formerly home-schooled. No one knew who or what she was but they all wanted to find out. She is like no one else that Leo (and the entire school) had ever met before. Leo described Stargirl as, "She was elusive. She was today. She was tomorrow. She was the faintest scent of a cactus flower, the flitting shadow of an elf owl. We did not know what to make of her. In our minds we tried to pin her to corkboard like a butterfly, but the pin merely went through and away she flew." The school moves from fascination and adoration to hatred and shunning until finally, Leo finds himself in an impossible position: forced to choose between the girl he loves and his entire lifestyle (all of his friends who didn’t like her). The people at school soon realize that she is too different for them to like. She cheers for the other team, sings to people on their birthday, decorates her desk with flowers, never wears makeup, and wears long dresses or skirts everyday. After reading Stargirl, I have my own explanation of her: She is magical, in a way most people need to find. She is herself and doesn’t care what anyone thinks of her. She appreciates the little things, dares to be different, but ultimately believes in herself. Whom will Leo choose? Will he fall in love with Stargirl or keep his friends? Stargirl is not a long or hard book. It is written with short, cogent sentences. Nonetheless, the text is rich, full of excitement, and wonder. This book will make you think about: What would you do? How would you react to her? And many other questions that still linger in my mind and will remain in your mind after you read this book. Spinelli tries to tell readers that it is great to be different and we need to be exactly who we were made to be.
Teen, 14 years old Written byladybuglooove September 4, 2015

another good read by jerry spinelli

jerry spinelli succeeds in inspiring and captivating readers with a high school love story-- but not your typical one. i don't know what else to say.. stargirl is simply a must read!

Teen, 13 years old Written byBri-BoB November 13, 2011

Amazing author and book

I'm only 13 and i think this book is the best I've ever read so far .It was just wonderful i really liked it!
Teen, 13 years old Written byBrigidsoccer_10 August 12, 2016
I thought that this was a good book and perfect for kids around 12 because it gives a great message that a lot of kids need because mist kids are afraid to be themselves because they think others will judge them for it so I think this book's message might help some people who are struggling with that problem