Parent reviews for Stoner & Spaz

Edgy, sardonic book is OK for mature readers.

Wondering if Stoner & Spaz is OK for your kids?

Adult Written byStray July 25, 2011

Not a fairytale

I used to read this book, among others, alot while in high school. It constantly reminded me of the truth of life and high school in general. While most parents and teachers think it's unmoral to teach kids about things such and drugs, sex, and violence, adults need to keep in mind that kids will find a way to learn this on their own if reality isn't taught to them. Yes, we all want our kids to keep their innocence and such until they're at least 34, but if you're being practical, most kids learn about substance abuse and sex at about the age of 13-14 because of their friends and their 'friends'. I've noticed that too many parents let themselves be dillusioned into thinking that their teen is still five years old and in need of a security blanket.
I may not have a degree that tells people that I know every thing there is to know about what's 'wrong' with someone else's child, but I use my own common sense to try and understand the differences between a child 'under the influence' of their peers and a child that's been taught the correct way to deal with these sorts of things.
In my opinion, Stoner and Spaz is a great book for a parent and their teen to read.

Educational Value
Adult Written byle1192 March 16, 2011

I understand it

I loved this book, and I think those of us who have to deal with addicts understand it much more than other people. I love how it ended because it was not just a happy ending, It was a truthfull ending. A horrible truth that occurs consistently with addicts

Adult Written bydorazymoody October 15, 2009

Meh

The book has a pretty good build up and then it's as if the author tried to finish the novel within four pages. It skims through the parts that in my opinion are key moments or the best parts of the novel. This is just a way kids can access the world of sex, drugs, and rocknroll without a parent's restriction. Then again parents don't care as long as its a book and not a graphic movie!
Parent of a 13-year-old Written byLizzieMeg October 14, 2009

excellent

For mature 12 year olds and up....this book is very excellent

Adult Written byTwiztidLette2688 April 9, 2008

Stoners Book

This book was awesome! We read it in class for an assignment and I really enjoyed reading it!
Adult Written byablackford April 9, 2008

Definitely something anyone who has gone through rehab can relate to...

I loved this book. I myself have gone through rehab six times and fallen back into old habits. But thanks to friends, much like Colleen's in the book, I have been pretty straight for six months now. This is an awe-inspiring book and I recommend it to anyone.
Adult Written byderfy5 April 9, 2008

something diferent

I am a middle school librarian, so I read a lot, and mostly read YA books. I read this book last fall and really loved it. The main reason was that Ben (the protagonist) was a fully realized individual, with his own interests, quirks and thoughts, not just "some poor kid with cerebral palsy." I once had a friend who had muscular dystrophy and through our friendship got to understand a little bit about what she thought about living with a disability, especially the way others reacted to her. I found it very refreshing to encounter a charecter with a disability in a young adult novel that was so multi-dimensional. His releationship with Colleen is so engaging because she sees him as an individual first, without focusing on the cerebral palsy. Yes, Colleen is a drug addict, but Ben continually tries to encourage her to quit. Yes, there is some swearing and sex. Frankly, I hear much worse coming out of the mouths of my middle schoolers when they tell me about the R rated movies they watch and Grand Theft Auto Video Games they play. I'd much rather a student read a book where they might think a little and be introduced to new ideas about people diferent than themselves than keep it away from them because it doesn't pound away at an anti-drug message. The kids I sugested this book to loved it because it was so honest and realistic.
Adult Written bycrissy3133 April 9, 2008
Adult Written bypaintballpunkjb April 9, 2008

i laught

it is a piece of c--p
Adult Written bylibrarypatrons April 9, 2008
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

I loved it

I absolutely loved this book. One of my favorites for sure. It is amazing for someone my age(16). It reminded me of my school. I think everyone can releate to either Ben or Colleen.