Parent reviews for Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing

Toddler antics bug brother, amuse readers in 1st Fudge book.

Parent of a 11 year old Written byannmariehutter January 1, 2013

excellent

helps deal with family situations

Educational Value
Adult Written byLowe's man January 21, 2014

a terrific read

Gender roles are indeed outdated, but children and parents need to know that this book was written in 1972, when conceptions of gender roles were just starting to change. Aside from that, children, especially those with siblings who are several years younger than they are, will notice that Peter's mother seems to care more about Fudge than him, a common perception among children who have siblings younger than 5 or 6. Most children (and adults) who read this book will agree that Peter's father understands him better and seems to treat him better than his mother does. For example, after Fudge goes into Peter's room, the mother refuses to consider buying a lock for the door to Peter's bedroom, but the father thinks otherwise and buys one. As such, they'll like the father better than the mother, as they'll identify more easily with him. As for Peter's problems with Fudge, those problems will bring back memories, both good and bad, to the readers of experiences they've had in their own lives, as they are amusing and funny.
Adult Written byCommonSenseChristian May 4, 2015

Tales of a Fantastic Fourth-Grader

My fourth grade teacher read my class this book years ago, and I immediately went out and bought it after she finished. Almost any kid can relate to nine-year-old Peter Hatcher. He's trying to survive fourth grade and all that entails while simultaneously dealing with a three-year-old brother who messes up everything in sight and gets away with blue murder, particularly when Mom's around. Little Fudge is the epitome of annoying sibling-hood--you were either raised in the same house as this kid or knew someone who had a sibling like this. He refuses to eat, causing Mom, Dad, and Grandma no end of worry, and gets his favorite foods made for him on demand. He throws epic tantrums. He smears food on walls. He tries to fly off the jungle gym, netting an early visit from the tooth fairy. He ruins Peter's school project, blows a hole in his social life, and just plain drives him nuts. Peter can't win, it seems--until one of Fudge's antics forces him to confront the fact that he loves his little brother. Fortunately, it also forces Mom and Dad to deal with the fact that as the oldest, Peter often gets shortchanged with Fudge around. Peter often gets impatient with Fudge, but he's never cruel. In fact, he tries to understand the little guy as best he can and in the end, that's rewarded. The major caveat here is values dissonance. This book was first published in the '70s, so some discipline methods may grate on parents. For example, when Fudge begs for Corn Flakes and refuses to eat them, Dad's solution is to dump the cereal on Fudge's head. Both parents lose their cool occasionally, and Mom smacks Fudge's backside on one occasion. Considering today's climate, it might also be disconcerting to see nine-year-old kids hanging out alone in Central Park. Otherwise, this is a fun book with an ending as sweet as--well, fudge.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byLarie N. November 27, 2016

Good book EXCEPT...

This book has been around for ages. My son really enjoyed it. However there is one page we were HORRIFIED with. It talks about being "mugged and dope pushers". Thankfully my husband was there to discuss with him. Why has none of the other reviewers mentioned this?
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byJessica G. September 16, 2016

Not what you remember from when you were a kid.

We listened to the audio book read by the author. I wanted to add to the other reviews that the book references "dope pushers" and muggings in Central Park. Another unkind word used in the book is "dumb." If you the parent haven't read this since you were a kid, read it again before letting your kids read it. The little brother is an absolute awful whiner who always gets what he wants. I would say try a different series.