All parent member reviews for The 39 Clues Series

Parent of a 11 year old Written bylkoslosky August 10, 2009

Fun and exciting, but watch out for a few small things

Here's from my 11 year old daughter first. She says: "It's very good. I like that it has mysteries you have to figure out. The main characters care for each other and rescue each other. It's very mysterious. I love it." Mom says: "I like it a lot- and I am enjoying the mystery and intrigue just as much as the children. However, I could do without the harsh or belittling language used by most characters. I also hope that the main characters use their goodness to triumph in the end (the end of the series), because that is how they will be good role models-- not by sinking to the level of their adversaries. But overall- it's highly entertaining and even a bit educational."
Parent of a 10, 12, 14, 14, 15, and 17 year old Written bysupermomof8 November 6, 2010

Riveting series for teens/tweens, as good as any action movie!

My children, all homeschooled, have read all 10 of these books. They love the mystery, but are grounded enough to know that the behavior is not acceptable in 'real life' its just like watching a movie. The best thing about this is that my 14 yr old daughter who has never been interested in reading, to my dismay, has absolutely loved them and bought half the series herself. She and her siblings talk about the book and the mystery and the clues and I am thrilled to see her in particular, interested in reading for the first time! Hoping to find other books that will catch her interest the way this series has... My 7 year old just started reading them and is loving them too. he reads well above his age/grade level however.
Parent Written byyunaakka September 18, 2011

Awsome book, but not the best in the series.....

This book was really good,but not as good as the other books in the series. You also really need to read the full series if you want the plot to make sense. I read the whole series ( with the agent handbooks,and Cahill vs. Vesper books) in less than a week. I love this book!!
Adult Written byBrij1234 March 1, 2015

Great Story

I loved the book but I didn't like the joke "You have disgraced the family. You must commit seppuku." because I know seppuku is a Japanese thing that means commit suicide. That shouldn't be a joking matter.
Parent of a 6, 9, and 13 year old Written bylsworsham November 14, 2008

Great despite the shameless merchandising

My 9 yo son really enjoyed this book, and together we really enjoy playing on the website. I do agree that all the marketing/merchandising surrounding this series is terrible (typical Scholastic) but to their credit you don't have to buy the books and/or cards to participate in the website/game - we got the book from the library without cards and are having a blast playing on the website without any cards in hand/$$ spent. So kudos to Scholastic for not making it impossible to be in on the fun without any cash outlay. And the incidential learning about historical figures in each of the family branches is really interesting and not often found in games/books for this age group. FYI my older son (turned 13 days ago) read the book and found it quite boring/immature, particularly compared to Rick Riordan's other works, the Eragon series, etc. So even though the target age for this book is 8-12 I think it more skews to the younger end of that spectrum (and this from a parent who is fairly protective of what my kids read, i.e. the 9 yo has only read the first 3 Harry Potter books). Might be good though for a reluctant reader in the older end of the range.
Parent Written byLucille01 June 8, 2012

Great adventure/mystery series for kids

I have read books 1-3,5, 8 & 10 with my 8 year old son. Yes they are far fetched and tempt kids to buy the cards, but otherwise they are great. I emphatically disagree with the previous reviewer's critique of the plot. They are written for children, not adults! The plot is just fine for that age and even slightly over my son's head on rare occasions. I have enjoyed them as much as he has and highly recommend them. The only reservation I have is the attempted and real violence written about. It isn't descriptive or repeatable but it may be disturbing for some children to read about someone's parents being dead in a fire or their grandmother dying and attending the funeral. Just know your child and use this as a teachable moment if needed.
Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written byironman2 May 17, 2010