Parent and Kid Reviews on

Our Review

Based on 58 kid reviews

Sort by:

Thrilling

Very interesting. Not a stereotypical apocalypse story at all. One of the more unique books I've read, because it is very hard to predict but still makes since. The only reason I don't give it 5 stars there are some unnecessary rude elements.

One of the best books

This book is amazing, it’s right next to Harry Potter good. If the child is sensitive then they probably shouldn’t read it, but if he/she is a book worm that is pretty mature then read away!

Great Book!

I read this book when I was a little over 13. I know some 12 year olds might not be mature enough to read this book, considering some of the curse words it contains, but it is a great book. If your teen or tween is into dystopian stories than this is a great one. I really enjoyed how every few(little more than a few lol) chapters it changed to another characters perspective. The characters are very well created in my opinion. And the whole storyline is great. I would definitely recommend this for people of all ages to read (12+), to be honest.

Modern (dystopic, thriller) classic has lots of mature content

The 5th Wave is a brilliantly constructed, utterly addictive, and extremely grim apocalyptic YA novel. Author Yancey's plotting and perspective shifts absolutely take the cake in his "gripping epic of catastrophic loss, unthinkable odds, and unflinching courage"; there are so many twists, turns, loops, double-crosses, triple-crosses, and cliffhangers that you barely know which way is up by the time you're fully invested in the story, feverishly flipping the pages to get to the next chapter... the next chapter... This novel is in absolutely no way for the faint of heart. Its violence, vulgarities, and sensual moments are in no way overblown in other reviews. There are similarities between the Others' genocide and the Holocaust... if the Nazis had killed 1200 times as many people. In the Others' systematic waves, 7 billion humans die, many killed by a gruesome plague with nauseating symptoms. Characters are shot at and stalked; they witness the violent deaths of loved ones; and the protagonists shoot and beat up their enemies to achieve their goals. People die in a whole variety of ways, primarily by gunshot, but also by impalement, suicide (by hanging, overdose, and gunshot), being burned alive, electrocution, etc. Certain main characters have their wills, souls, and consciences broken by sadistic military men in intense scenes. There's prolific swearing, too, with variations on da--, h---, a--, s---, and f--- , as well as religious profanities. Finally, a romantic subplot culminates with two characters kissing passionately, repeatedly, and sleeping together intimately. They see each other naked, though not in sexual situations, and their eyes linger on each others' bodies. Near the end of the novel, they share a non-physical experience which the narrator describes as akin to sex. Unwanted advances are made towards one character, but she fends them off. Earlier, she and a friend discuss having sex before they die. In conclusion, The 5th Wave is a must-read for every teen who can handle the violence, language, romance, and dark, mature themes.

Really good!

This book is awesome! It’s action packed and exciting. The ‘inappropriate’ parts have nothing on middle school. I have to admit, all of the heterosexual nonsense between Evan and Cassie got extremely boring after a while, which took off a star for me. Like sure it’s cute but move on! Like, we get it, his breath smells like chocolate! Nobody gives a heck! Ben’s parts are much more interesting in my opinion, but that could just be me. Anyway, it’s really good, you should read it!

It was not the best

The romantic content was distracting from the story. I had to put the book down near the middle. It was a little too much for me in that aspect, I didn't want to read it anymore.

Very good book depends on parents opinion and kids maturity

I loved the book personally but there are many scenes and cuss words you might not want your young teen to read just yet. I agree with many of the other teens responses and it really just depends on how mature your teen is personally...

How do you think "The Others" got all the technology to go into humans brains and control them and have the technology to make a mothership if they are just concepts or don't have a physical shape/presence? How does wonderland work/how do the chips allow a device to track them and kill them? Wonderland is able to look back into people memories, but how does it do this, it isn't explained in big detail (at least where I am) and it is interesting. Why do “the others” only allow kids to be trained into soldiers to wipe out the rest of the humans since if there are adult humans with fighting experience, how would the kids be able to win the fight? Thye don’t have as much experience in combat?

I didn't like the movie, and I don't like the book

The plot is okay, but I feel nothing when characters die, and every detail in this book is unnecessary. For example, a character lists her supplies and the first thing are tampons. Yes, you would have them, but no one's reading your book and saying, 'what about tampons'? Things like this only serve to unease the reader, and not in a good way like DHMIS. In an awkward way. It's too long, and it tries to be a thriller but it just ends up being gory and disgusting, at best. I really hate it when books like this use meaningless blood and violence as a way to mask bad horror writing. Speaking of writing, George Lucas's dialogue has nothing on this. If I may quote a line (no spoilers): "We waited for the helicopter to come back. All morning we waited. People packed up their things." I did not alter that in any way. I copied and pasted that, word for word. The only thing the aliens killed that the book forgot to bring up...were adjectives.

I was eight when I read it and it was really scary. It could give some younger kids nightmares. I think that it would appeal to teens, but if you not comfortable with a lot of violence, and swearing then you shouldn't read it.