All teen and kid member reviews for The 5th Wave, Book 1

Teen, 15 years old Written byGGSH May 29, 2013

Literary Science Fiction At Its Best

This is an excellent book. Rick Yancey, author of the Printz-Honor winning Monstrumologist series and The Extraordinary Adventures of Alfred Kropp, has delivered a remarkable tale that manages to revitalize the idea of an alien invasion, in which the aliens are brutally efficient without ever apparently leaving their space ship in orbit around the Earth. Thanks to the constant paranoia, the knowledge that no one can be trusted, this book is terrifying on a level that few other novels aimed at teenagers are able to be. Although, admittedly, this book does not have any truly original ideas, all the elements it takes from other novels are pieced together in a way that makes them uniquely its own, and the characters are so strong that you do not care about any derivative tendencies. You could argue that Cassie is a carbon copy of Katniss from The Hunger Games, what with her protectiveness of her younger brother, her toughness, and her uncaring, unfeeling exterior that hides her vulnerabilities. But, in my opinion, she is an even stronger character than Katniss is, because the book also shows through a series of flashbacks in the first hundred pages or so how the waves forced Cassie to change from your average teen girl who frets over her hair and has had a crush on the school jock since third grade to the tough survivalist she is now. This extra dimension adds a certain accessibility to her character on a level that Katniss never had. And although she is easily the most developed character in The Fifth Wave, all the others are fascinating in their own right. The plot, also, is compelling, with several surprising plot twists toward the end. There are also a couple that were a bit more expected, but they were not really meant to be completely unforeseen. Cassie's plot line has a bit of a slow burn feel to it, but Zombie's story is much faster paced, so the book never feels plodding. The different plot threads start out separate, but they gradually merge together in a way that is fascinating. It should also be noted that the writing style is brilliant, simultaneously literary and accessible, with the ability to provide mesmerizing turns of phrase without slowing down the pace at all. The two main points of view are written in first person present, but both voices are distinct and authentic. There are also a couple of minor points of view that lasted only for a couple of short chapters (one of a Silencer, the other of Cassie's younger brother), both of which were written in third person present and contributed to the novel as a whole. Readers should be aware that there are around five f-bombs interspersed throughout the novel, as well as some milder language, and that the violence is frequent and brutal. Sexual content is kept mainly to kissing and a couple of discussions of sex, but there are several romantic plot threads, which might annoy some people who don't like anything resembling romance in their novels. However, they add a lot to the story and are key to enabling growth in several major characters, including Cassie. This is easily one of the best books I have read, sitting at number three or four on my list of favorite books. With a broad mainstream appeal and an extensive marketing campaign, this book is set to make a major splash commercially as well as critically. This book genuinely deserves to make it big, unlike many of the novels that have gotten extensive backing from publishers in the past.
Kid, 11 years old March 23, 2015

Excellent Read

The 5th Wave is an excellent read but the language maybe be iffy for some readers.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRainbowNova840 August 16, 2015

Read this NOW!

This is one of the best books in the world. If you love aliens, romance, and action, you would LOVE this book. It has a few curse words in it (just a few), the romance isn't that bad at all, and it's all-around PERFECT.
Teen, 13 years old Written byXinaTurtle January 22, 2016
Teen, 13 years old Written byGecko772 February 17, 2015

Brilliant!

I really enjoyed this book and can't wait for the last in the trilogy to come out this Autumn! The theme is very grim and dark but there is still hope. Set around an alien invasion, this book always leaves you wondering what is going to happen next and makes you question anything a character does. Some people may say that this book contains plot holes but IT IS THE FIRST BOOK remember that everything will hopefully be tied up in the last one. So if you want some edge-of-your-seat reading, definitely read this. You read and learn one thing and next chapter you are told something completely different. So read this book and be left full of suspense for the last one.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCricket Bell December 17, 2014
Kid, 11 years old April 25, 2015

Great Book but...

Lots of cursing and violence, but, overall this book impressed me!
Teen, 16 years old Written byFangurl-Forever November 14, 2015

OMG. I LOVED THIS BOOK. Don't believe what other people tell you, this is a great book. It has the best story line, the best characters, and you will get attached to it. ITS A GREAT BOOK XD

This was a great book, it had bad language, but the fact that it was in there didn't make it bad. I usually just ignored it, but I LOVED this book. :)
Teen, 15 years old Written byKardasha206 June 28, 2015
Kid, 12 years old March 19, 2016

Epic book

This was a really good book! Messages: Never give up, Choose what is right over what is easy. Role models: Cassie will do anything for her little brother Sam. Violence: This book is about a group of aliens trying to kill off humanity, and it still is very violent. It has gory descriptions of the 3rd wave, which is a infection, and the dying people from it. It has bullet deaths and wounds and a main character gets shot in the thigh. Little kids and teens are put into groups together and sent out into the field to kill all survivors. Swearing: Many people swear and there is lots of language in this book.
Kid, 10 years old July 2, 2016

maturity is an important factor 11+

I have very overprotective parents, and I really wanted to see the movie. I'm 10 so of course I wasn't aloud too. I am very mature, and I'm an avid reader so my parents let me read the book instead. I found that the book was very violent, full of cursing, and inappropriate. I have read the hunger games, twilight, ect. But this was by far the most intense. BUT WAIT I think this book is fine for any mature enough kid. The 5th wave is a story about an alien invasion obliterating the world as we know it, so duh it's going to be extremely intense. I found that it could have been worse though. I was easily able to handle the violence and other stuff. The violence is all guns, in a way this is a good thing because the deaths are always quick and not gory. There is blood, but the worst battle wasn't too bad. The main character Cassie is incredible. Her bravery and cleverness really inspired me. She's probably one of my favorite sci-fi characters after Hermione of course. There is romance, but it isn't so bad in this book, there's like one kiss but there's lots of holding each other. Cassie does find out that Evan Walker bathed her when she was unconscious, but that's really as bad as it gets. The story is bleak, and full of death, but I found it a wonderful story. I think its fine for any kid 12 and up. But if your kid is younger and very mature like I am, they should be fine. I will say, if your kid isn't used to sci-fi, don't start with this book. Ease them in with a series like harry potter, then get to the hunger games, then let them read the 5th wave.
Teen, 15 years old Written byKi-RBT May 3, 2016

Excellent plot-based story with great characters as well -- not for the faint of heart

If you read the main summary, it should be pretty clear: NOT FOR SENSITIVE READERS. On the other hand, if you can take your share of apocalypse violence, teen romance, and swearing, this book will not let you put it down. The book opens with protagonist Cassie, who might not immediately grab your attention, but if you stick with it you will soon see exactly what it means to be a thriller. Switching narrators tell different stories that turn out to be intertwined. Unspeakable tragedies past and present provide constant tension. Fear of betrayal and loss keeps everyone guessing. The age rating system tends to be conservative and intended for the more sensitive readers; depending on the person, this book could be appropriate for anyone from ages 9 to 15. I would also recommend it to older readers looking for great suspense and action with solid characters.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJellysnake April 10, 2016

loved this book so much

I absolutely loved this book, has a unique exciting plot and is super readable. Depending on maturity, some kids under 13 would be able to deal with it and some wouldn't. You really feel for the characters (well, the good ones) and want to know what happens next! There is some language, kissing and violence. Excellent sci-fi about an alien invasion, and unique - haven't read anything like it!
Teen, 14 years old Written byeg214021 November 16, 2016

The 5th wave

The 5th wave is a science fiction novel.With Cass the main character struggling with herself she believes that she will be able to survive the alien invasion but on the other hand she believes that she will die not knowing what the 5th wave is all about. I believe that she will not die and with the help of others she can maybe save her family and the others.I believe this was a great story because not only is it a point of view about Cass but also the other characters and what they think about the alien attacks that is going on.Overall this is a great book that is just waiting to be read!
Teen, 13 years old Written by-shapeshifter13- November 5, 2016
Considering that I watched the movie first and wasn't a huge fan, it was pretty good. His writing style isn't my favorite, but it was definitely worth reading. Pretty much the only reason I read this book was because my friend told me it was WAY better than the movie. Also, I had just finished the Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare, and the writing style was a HUGE change, so that's probably why I didn't like it so much. I'm on the second book right now, but honestly, it's kinda hard to get through. I don't want to pick it up, but then once I start reading, I don't want to stop. Mixed feelings. There is a LOT of swearing and the romance goes a little bit too far for younger childs(lol what do i call them) and the violence is a bit much also. Otherwise, it is an amazing book and you should definitely read it.
Teen, 16 years old Written bybow_ties_are_cool August 24, 2016

AMAZING!

This book is just awesome. The writing is impeccable and this take on an apocalyptic future is a breath of fresh air. It isn't like most books in that type of genre. I highly recommend it.
Kid, 11 years old July 30, 2016

Some violence, watch out for swearing. Great book!!

This was a great book. The language was pretty high though. I wasn't completely concerned with the violence as it is not always happening. This book has some great role models, like the main character, Cassie, who continues to try and find her younger brother Sammy. Violence: 4/5 Violence is not frequent, but when it is there, it's pretty bad. There is a deadly virus that kills a lot of the world. There are aliens that shift into people's bodies. Shooting, some blood, a couple of bloody wounds. Talk about death. Language: 4/5 F--k, s--t, chickens--t, bulls--t, maggot, damn, hell, Jesus, Jesus Christ, Christ, God (in a rude way), fri--ing, b-tch. Most of the language is said by a general. The general is even rude to a six year old boy. He continues to insult all of the children who are being trained to be soldiers, no matter their size or age.
Teen, 14 years old Written byChloeab12 June 27, 2016

Best book next to maximum ride but for ages starting around 14

I want to start out with what you just read above: for ages 14 and up. I would recommend this age because there is much much much romance and thoughts of you know what. Cassie's friend even tells her to you know what with Ben. Then a boy at camp try's to get her to you know what. When Cassie wakes up in evans house she notes that she was in different clothes before she ended up there. At one point Evan is injured in the bottom area and she has to check it out and bandage it, then says that she needs to check the front- she doesn't. But the whole time he is saying things like asking what she thinks of his bottom. I hated this part so much I blanked it all out with a black marker. And since you are thinking of reading this book that means that if you do then you are going to read the whole series so to just get it out there a main character does do you know what in the infinite sea. It is not described, the chapter just ends with the kissing. But I'm not going to say which character. There is much violence in all of the books in the 5th wave series but I kind of enjoyed it. It kept the books interesting and made me not want to put them down. I'm one of those people who hate romance books especially the ones that go to far in the romance department, but I overlooked all of it and I'm happy I did because I loved these books SO MUCH! But seriously don't read it until you're 14 or older. Oh and almost forgot for the educational values you actually do learn a lot about how to survive. So if the world ends make sure to have theses books with you.
Kid, 11 years old May 11, 2016

Great read!

This book is AMAZING! Some language might bother some readers but I love this book! I was amazed by this read! A MUST READ!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bylovelyyme15 May 5, 2016

the 5 wave

The story is about the alien apocalypse. A story of a girl called Cassie who is one of the few survivors. Cassie is a sixteen year old and she has a brother that she is trying to save. Then she meets someone that can help her with her brother that you will soon know who that is. And her main goal is to save her brother and she will do anything to get him back. The world has been slowly been killed by different waves. The first wave was all power and light got rid, so that the planes and cars stop working. The second wave caused massive tsunamis which killed three billion people. The third wave was diseases and it even make you cry of blood and when you die the blood comes out of you eyes, nose, and ears. The fourth was just invasion. Finally the five way and the last wave, it was a total eradication of a human race. I thought that it was a good book and i would rate it a 5. It is good book for people who likes the hunger games or divergent and i really love those. It was a very well written and they had very good and big words that can help the reader. But i think that they could have give us more information about where they live and the state they live in. But the book was a very good and intersting book.