All parent member reviews for The Amulet of Samarkand: The Bartimaeus Trilogy, Book 1

Adult Written byGrainne April 9, 2008
Parent of a 11, 15, and 18 year old Written byJulieKryger1970 January 5, 2009
Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written bysensomatic April 10, 2011

As Long As They Don't Try To Summon A Demon

As an adult, I think this book is spot on funny and entertaining. I've reccomended it to my 14 year old daughter as she has the common sense and moral background to know that summoning demons is not a good thing to do for your mental and spiritual health.
Adult Written byMalificos April 9, 2008
Adult Written bymattatcsm April 9, 2008

Bartimaeus the Djinn -- a review by Chris, age 11

Nathaniel is a young boy, age 11, who is the apprentice of a magician. He has had a fairly smooth life after the age of six. He had intense studies and lessons for every type of education, including language, math, writing, drawing, etc. Around the age of 9 he had gone to a celebration with his master to see his master’s colleagues. During the party Nathaniel’s master showed him off to some of his superiors. They questioned him and got answers. They said his master did a bad job. Nathaniel got snooty and was abused for it by the leader of the group, Simon Lovelace. Meanwhile his master sat and watched. After this night Nathaniel sped up his education in order to get revenge. After two years Nathaniel summons a powerful djinn, Bartimaeaus. He then orders Bartimaeaus to go steal a valuable artifact from Simon Lovelace, an object that Nathaniel knew Lovelace had stolen, the Amulet of Samarkand. This was a great book with a couple of twists in the plot. It takes place in a futuristic world where magicians rule. During the book there is narration from two points of view: one from Bartimaeus and one from a narrator. This book is intensely unnerving and suspenseful. It has some mystery and a lot of humor. During the time when Bartimaeus is telling the story he puts little footnotes in that really add to the humor of the book. Look out for those! This book has battles with demons where there is no way out by force, but only by mind. This should be a tempting target for any adventure reader and I recommend it to any one of those. I would put this on my top ten list of favorite books. Anyone who appreciates a good adventure, and has any hint of liking for magic and different variations of it, will love this book.
Adult Written byKitty Jones April 9, 2008

Hello world, read The Bartimaeus Trilogy NOW!

The entire series was the funniest thing in the world. Bartimaeus would flippantly toss out insults and i would laugh till tears were streaming down my face.this is my number one favorite series, tied with harry potter.
Parent of a 4 and 11 year old Written byone kiwi fruit August 2, 2010

Rich english language, full of action, funny. Love It!
Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009
Adult Written byPirateTuba April 9, 2008

A GREAT BOOK! (MY FAV)

Ok. This book is GREAT and I truly recomend it. Alright...I am 11 years old, and I read it when I was 10, but it's really great. I am pretty advanced so I say its about a 13+ reading level. I LOVE Bartimaeus with his witty comments. It is hillariously funny and serious at the same time. 5 stars. A must-read for sure!
Adult Written byholickl April 9, 2008

Excellent writing and an interesting different perspectic on magicians and their source of magic.