All teen and kid member reviews for The Amulet of Samarkand: The Bartimaeus Trilogy, Book 1

Teen, 13 years old Written byergie96 August 20, 2009

Should Be Made Into A Movie

This is one of my favorite books ever. It is set in modern day London and gives a whole new spin on wizardry. You will love the djinni young Nathaniel summons; Bartimaeus is full of wit and humor. There are messages about the greed and power-hungry nature of the magicians, which become more pronounced in the second book. An excellent, page-turner, must-read that will keep you awake late into the night!
Kid, 10 years old April 5, 2010

on my favorites

bartimaeus is an awesome, sarcastic demon and a great main character. he is bent to do a not-very-nice magician boy's will. he is wily and hilarious. the book is dripping with sarcasm.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBook Review U. April 9, 2008

Bartimaeus the Djinn -- a review by Chris, age 11

Nathaniel is a young boy, age 11, who is the apprentice of a magician. He has had a fairly smooth life after the age of six. He had intense studies and lessons for every type of education, including language, math, writing, drawing, etc. Around the age of 9 he had gone to a celebration with his master to see his master’s colleagues. During the party Nathaniel’s master showed him off to some of his superiors. They questioned him and got answers. They said his master did a bad job. Nathaniel got snooty and was abused for it by the leader of the group, Simon Lovelace. Meanwhile his master sat and watched. After this night Nathaniel sped up his education in order to get revenge. After two years Nathaniel summons a powerful djinn, Bartimaeaus. He then orders Bartimaeaus to go steal a valuable artifact from Simon Lovelace, an object that Nathaniel knew Lovelace had stolen, the Amulet of Samarkand. This was a great book with a couple of twists in the plot. It takes place in a futuristic world where magicians rule. During the book there is narration from two points of view: one from Bartimaeus and one from a narrator. This book is intensely unnerving and suspenseful. It has some mystery and a lot of humor. During the time when Bartimaeus is telling the story he puts little footnotes in that really add to the humor of the book. Look out for those! This book has battles with demons where there is no way out by force, but only by mind. This should be a tempting target for any adventure reader and I recommend it to any one of those. I would put this on my top ten list of favorite books. Anyone who appreciates a good adventure, and has any hint of liking for magic and different variations of it, will love this book.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEpicPerson July 15, 2011

Give a hand for Stroud

Stroud's work is wonderful! A great book about magicians and spirits. Highly recommended. May need a little parent guidance, because there is a lot of fantasy violence. I praise Stroud for his work!
Kid, 12 years old April 22, 2011

*Applauds

I don't know how to word my adoration of this series. There are no words to describe its wit and humor, its excellent desciption, and even better characters. It's well paced, easy to get, and so very enjoyable. I love it. Love, love love it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byqueezle_djinni_lover April 9, 2008

A Suspenceful, yet Zany Trilogy for Everyone.

Bartimaeus: An arrogant, yet hilariously flippant and mouthy djinn; Nathaniel: An overconfident and overlooked magician-in-the-making. Put them together, and what do you get? You get an amazing, suspenceful, heartbreaking, funny (I could go on, but I'd only bore you!) trilogy about a boy and his servant out against their rivals. A treasonous magician, Simon Lovelace, attempts a massacre of the great ones of the government. Nathaniel steals Lovelaces's prize posession: The Amulet of Samarkand.. And Lovelace wants it back.. This book was fantastic. Over half of the book, I was rolling around in my seat over Bartimaeus's hilarious comments and his (occasionally) sophisticated air. Nathaniel's reactions to the djinn are purely comical. I also highly recommend the unabridged audio book production of "The Amulet of Samarkand". Simon Jones gives all the characters the personality and spark they need. "The Golem's Eye" and "Ptolomy's Gate" are also great books, and if you liked "The Amulet of Samarkand", I highly recommend them. A "The Bartimaeus Trilogy: The Amulet of Samarkand" review.
Teen, 16 years old Written byDragon1994 May 24, 2010

great book

Very good book, I give two thumbs up (the best).
Teen, 15 years old Written by.va May 22, 2010

Hilarious!

Unappreciated wizard apprentice Nathaniel draws sympathy from the reader, none from sarcastically hilarious Bartimeaus. You can really relate with Nathaniel as the world as he knows it crumbles and he enters the magical world. Funny, action and magic packed, along with the unique idea of Bartimaeus' priceless footnotes makes this a great book. Can't wait for the rest!
Teen, 16 years old Written byFantasyFiend12 March 20, 2010
Love this book and the whole rest of the series.
Kid, 12 years old August 15, 2012

interesting

i have just started this book and from what i have read so far it is an interesting story.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheyCallMeColepi October 23, 2010
As soon as I read the first page, I was hooked. This book draws you in with a shady, and mysterious demon, Bartimaeus. When he and Nathaniel, the young wizard full of untapped potential, begin to work together they create a super-potent power. I think this is a book anyone would love.
Teen, 13 years old Written bywebkinz67 December 10, 2009
reading it know so far its great
Teen, 17 years old Written byDragonWriter July 14, 2015

The next books are better . . .

The first book in The Bartimaeus Trilogy was my least favourite of the three, but is necessary to read to understand the rest of the books (Which are Awesome!). Unlike most series, the main character goes through little character development in the first book. Nathaniel's character progression happens over all three, which I found interesting. All in all I felt this book, despite having a plot and major story line of its own, was more of an introduction to the world, Nathaniel, and his abilities. Nathaniel lives in a world where Magicians rule and commoners are looked down on. The Magician world is full of greed, deceit, and power and Nathaniel is at risk of becoming like that as well. Already it's started to take hold, but Nathaniel still has some values that he relies on. At first glance the story appears to be quite shallow, simply about the Magician's world and Nathaniel's revenge. However, when all three books are read many more deeper themes become apparent. Many of these themes I didn't even notice till I took the time to analyse the book and write this review. To really get the full meaning behind the books you must step away and look at the trilogy as a whole, not as individual books. Forget the jokes and end of the world scenarios (which I got a little tired of to be honest) and see that the three books together were really one story of the downfall of greed, hate, and dishonour. How they told Nathaniel's story of becoming someone of honour. I loved this series and while this book alone wasn't that great, the next two books and the trilogy as a whole were fantastical.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhujo888 January 29, 2014

awesome

so far it is the best book I have ever read. :)
Kid, 11 years old July 12, 2011

Awesome Book!

It's a great book! I finished the whole series. I almost went crazy waiting for the last book to come in at the library. I recomend it for people who are almost teens and up.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAthanaric February 28, 2011

Awsome.

One of my favorite books of all time I finished it in three nights IWas so into it, which is fast for me because I never have time, I suggest this to any fan of fantasy.
Teen, 17 years old Written byXmenlover January 15, 2011

I LOVE IT

I absolutely LOVE this book. It has fun characters, though there is violence and some of the messages aren't positive. I've read this about 7 times since I was 9, and I absolutely LOVE it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byski123 April 9, 2008