All parent member reviews for The Bluest Eye

Parent Written byJayne28 July 20, 2013

Not appropriate for high-school English classes

This book is far more graphic than our school's rationale form let on. I highly recommend parents read the entire work in advance of minors doing so. In my professional and personal opinion, I do not consider this book to be appropriate for minors, nor the best choice for dealing with the issues it raises (and never resolves).
Parent Written byluvstoread January 12, 2013

Heads up parents!!!

The review this site provided for this book regarding the sexual encounters in this book as edgy. Let me tell you, unless you want your child to read in graphic detail about an 11 year old girl being sexually assaulted by her father, this is NOT a book for your child. Toni Morrison has a reputation and this book more than lives up to it. My son read the book at age 12/7th grade because it was on a teacher recommended list for a historical novel. Once I read the book and brought it to the school's attention, the book was removed from the school (Middle School, by the way) and the teacher received disciplinary action. Her excuse was that my son reads at a Senior high-school level reading. I would not recommend this book for students to read without their parent knowing fully what the content is and giving their permission.
Adult Written bykemeshag January 27, 2015

Masterful prose but edgy topic

Toni Morrison is a brilliant author, there is a reason she has been awarded a Nobel Prize in Literature. Bluest eye is her first novel and one of her best. Her prose is beautiful and she has an excellent command of English language. However parents, should know that the book delves into issues of prejudice, self hate, unfavorable beauty standards, and sexual assault. This book is great for older teenagers and adults. There are several themes that sweep through the novel.