All parent member reviews for The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Educator Written byCocorobashow October 6, 2012

No Redeeming Social Value

It is impossible to believe that the Bruno, a nine year old, living in Berlin, had never heard of a Jew. He obviously had been educated in the best schools, where eugenics had been taught for years. Who did he think was walking around in his city with yellow Star of David patches on their clothes? He never noticed boarded up shops? He talks to Shmuel for months and can't see that the child is starving. He brings food from his house and eats most of it himself before he gets to Shmuel. For whom was this book written? Most children's and young adult books you find a moral or some type of character development. There is absolutely no character development in this book. Bruno is an unintelligent, spoiled child at the beginning of the book, who only wants to be an explorer. He never changes. He is the same selfish, not very smart child at the end of the book. There were 6,000 officers at the Auschwitz camps and yet we are led to believe that Bruno and his sister are the only non-Jewish children for miles and miles - that Bruno and his sister had absolutely no one else to play with. Bruno and his sister contract lice toward the end of the book. How did that happen? Lice don't jump or fly? You have to have close contact with someone who has lice. Share hats or coats, etc. Bruno and Shmuel are separated by a fence. So where did the lice come from? When the boys finally meet their demise, the author continues to get history wrong. When the Jews were gassed, they didn't go into the chambers with their clothes on; they were told to strip and ready themselves for a shower. And by the way, most 9 year old Jewish children upon arrival at Auschwitz were gassed. Finally how was it possible for these boys to chat each day for hours and no one saw them or missed them. I do not think I have ever read a book with so many medical, historical and logical fallacies.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byoc April 19, 2011

The story is wonderfully awesome as i m feeling to cry! I ve read it right now.! And for all the readers i personally feel that you must watch the movie..its very emotional and heart touching...the two little boys have acted so beautifully especially the nazi's son that at the end of the story i literally felt cry..:'( MUST WATCH THE MOVIE. Thank u.
Parent Written byParentAndTeacher January 12, 2012

WONDERFUL.<3

My 11 year-old loved the book! She watched the movie 2 years back though. :)
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 24, 2009

good book!

the book at the very end was sad and will be WAY to CONFUSING AND SAD FOR KIDS UNDER 11.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bytx.aquamom June 16, 2009

Very thought provoking

I really enjoyed this book. Its sad but I enjoyed the way the author handled the holocaust on a kid's level. I read this book months ago, but still think about it quite a bit.
Adult Written bymoviemadness April 9, 2008

A total must-read for tweens+

This heartbreaking story of friendship and innocence is too sad for younger kids. The book is well-written, and explores complex issues from a child's perspective. Wonderful and honest. One of the best books ever.
Adult Written byK.Erickson March 7, 2011

Perfect for tweens and older

I thought it was a great betrayal of events and history. I found myself quite emotional by the end of the story. I would definitely read the book again!
Parent of a 2 and 14 year old Written byMandasia May 17, 2010

great for 13 and up but under 13 i dont recamend it.

Adult Written bymadmamma February 28, 2010

Good introduction to the horror of the Holocaust for kids

My 12 year old just read the book in school, then we watched the movie with his 8 year old brother. Both were excellent in our opinion because both were gentle in their portrayal of a horrific time. We have always discussed everything openly and fully and although both kids don't fully understand the depth of the horror of that time, with this book & movie, and the fact that it is told from a child's perspective, they have begun to think about it and ask questions - a good thing all-round!
Educator Written bysb34chick November 21, 2009

Read with your child; talk about it together.

This is a great story, well-told, but has a very strong ending. That is why I rated this as age 15+. The end of the story is very disturbing, and readers will not fully understand the story without a basic understanding of the holocaust. I highly suggest reading this with your child, no matter what age!