Kid reviews for The Call of the Wild

Classic animal tale of dignity and survival.

Teen, 14 years old Written byTTOWN5555 January 22, 2013

TERRIBLE

I rated this book one star because I had to give it at least a star. I HATED IT!!!! This is one of, if not the, worst books i have ever read and I LOVE READING. Don't waste your time unless you have to.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySoccercrazyteen August 28, 2009

Mean and Nasty

The dogs in this book are treated horribly and killed in this book. Not to mention people are murdered by Indians.

Teen, 17 years old Written byJeezLuiz March 15, 2017

Interesting and Moving Novel

I was assigned this book for a project, and once I picked it up, I couldn't put it down. This is a great novel that took place in the Yukon, and gives a wonderful experience of a sled dog. London uses powerful word choice to show the setting of the book.

Teen, 17 years old Written byjamika280 September 5, 2012

What a dissappointment

Call of the Wild is a book i wouldn't suggest for kids. There is a little two much cursing and parents would be disappointed if they found their child reading such a book. For me its a no-no.

Kid, 12 years old February 5, 2011
This book was wonderful, and I am shocked that common sense media would give it the rating of OFF for kids younger than ten. When I get older, I intend for this book to be one of the first books I read to my own children (when they are older, of course.). The end is beautifully constructed. With what I have seen in past reviews below, I am completely amazed that people would treat this book with such brutality. It is beautiful and perfect. Besides the violence that is seen (though they never really TELL you all the gory details), this book should be read by all kids.

Kid, 12 years old February 4, 2013

violent and sad

i had to read this book for school... it was ok. It is very violent with lots of death of animals and humans. You hear about grousome killings and lots of people abuse the animals. The end (i swear i won't give anything away, you can keep reading) is very very sad. Buck kills people and other dogs in the book. Some other animals are killed for food. A moose is starved to death, and descriptions of the dogs after many weeks of exhaustion, little food, and lots of running, is very sad. I almost cried at point during the book (the end). I didn't mind the violence so much, but lots of death of important characters might be sad for many people. Overall, it wasn't a bad book.

Teen, 14 years old Written byCharizard632 December 7, 2009

Read up to Chapter 3 in this book.

I am reading this book for English Class, and I read up to chapter 3. Here's my analysis.

There is lots of violence in it. There was lots of blood and killing in the book.
I noticed the d-word and the h-word in this book too. I think this book has lots of violence and should be avoided by 10-year olds and younger.

Teen, 14 years old Written byMikaylaaMadisonn August 1, 2009
I love this book.
One of my favorites.
Really sad, though.
Teen, 14 years old Written byYeetusselfdeletus May 21, 2019

OoOOooF

i had high expectations, which were definitely not met, overall its a crappy book thats not worthy of your time.
Teen, 13 years old Written byloveirishdance April 3, 2019

A good school book to read

I just read it with my 7th grade class at a Catholic School. I think it is a good book for kids ages 11 and up. Just thought people needed to see this book from a kid/early teenager. Hope this will help teachers and parents realizes it is not as bad as it may seem, just a little sad.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFrosty T February 14, 2019

The Call Of The Wild review

THIS IS A WONDERFUL BOOK! Must Read!!!

When I read Call of the Wild, it made me feel like I was there because of all of the great detail! There is lot’s of action and sadness. The story is about a dog that get’s taken from home and becomes a sled dog in harsh terrains of yukon canada and he is not used to it he gets bullied by dogs and humans. This book is very fast paced in lots of parts. This is a fiction book by Jack London. This story is all about survival and people mistreating dogs and then helping them.

Teen, 13 years old Written byallycat1 September 9, 2018

sssssssoooooooo sad

this was so sad *spoiler* the one person he loves dies!
Kid, 10 years old August 11, 2018

Beautiful Amazing

Though there is some violence it shows wonderful courage and how experience shapes you for better or worse.

Teen, 13 years old Written byElla1451 June 5, 2018

Good book one of the best you will read

I think that this book is violent and it should be for kids 13+ . But really good book

Teen, 15 years old Written byNoahM1965 April 26, 2018

A good, intense book

This is part of an assignment for school, but call of the wild is a good book. It is about a dog who get kidnapped(or in this case, dog-napped) and taken to work as a sled dog during the Klondike gold rush . The author, Jack London doesn't know know a lot about dogs, because he gets a few thing about size, looks, and actions wrong. It can get a little gruesome throughout the book, but has a good message about the relationships between humans and animals. You get to read the story through the dogs point of view. Overall, The book is good for 12 and up, because younger children won't understand a lot of the vocabulary and there is a little violence.

Teen, 13 years old Written bythotpatrol February 14, 2018

not a fan

ive seen mixed reviews so it seems you hate it or you love it i hate it the characters are balnd cookie cutter over powered trash and im pretty sure jack london was on several drugs when writeing this it looks like he was haveing a dream when writeing this its too fast pace in some points and in others it describes it waaaaaay to much they beat buck for no reason and im pretty sure jack london thought this was character development like in one point they beat back half to death he gets saved and they take like half a paragraph describeing IN HEAVY DETAIL how he is getting beaten and then just idly mention the entire dog sled with full of dogs buck was friends with sinking into the ice and everyone dieing and didnt even show what buck thought of it and in another point he can suddenly pull a 1000 pound sled for no reason there was no development of why he could od this besides "oh yeah he was like beaten and had to pull a diffrent sled for years so i guess he can do this" he is way to overpowered and he is also emotionless he never shows any emotion and when he does it seems written in there after london finished the book to try and make buck more likeable he is not and near the end he kills a bear (i have not read up to this point but it happens and im pretty sure he does it by himself) this does not make a good character he is too overpowered (sorry if i repeated myself i just hate this book with a passion it feels like im reading a bad fanfiction)

Teen, 14 years old Written byHumanbowser Koopa February 7, 2018

AVOID AT ALL COSTS

I was forced to read this book for school. It was way too violent and it has traumatized me, quite possible for the rest of my life. Oh, and the N-word is present in Chapter 7. D*** (spelled differently) and h*** are not uncommon either.

Kid, 11 years old January 10, 2018

Okay

This book is very nice - I love the vocabulary but sometimes I don't understand some parts of the book. Not only that, it's a bit too predictable. I think this is great for people who are in need of getting a better vocabulary.

Teen, 14 years old Written byTheAlmightyCastform January 6, 2018

Painful-to-read book is very sad, everyone dies.

This book in told from a dog’s perspective, though in third person. Tons of dogs die, everyone except the main character, named Buck. It is very sad as sled dogs get mauled, fall through ice and drown, and get whipped by horrible people. There is a dog named Curly as the beginning, who seems to only exist to get mauled by other dogs. The reason I read this book is because I was assigned in six grade, and it is way too violent for sixth grade. This book takes place in an Arctic setting, where Buck and a lot of other dogs are sled dogs. Plenty of humans die, by falling through ice (though no one feels bad for the three humans who do) or getting killed by native Americans. I can’t see any lesson in this book, though it is considered “great literature” for some reason. This book has a high reading level. The only reason I gave this two stars and not one is that Buck is likeable, even if he kills another dog. Reading this book was very painful. Common Sense Media should’ve given this book at least a four in “Violence”. Teachers, don’t assign, unless your students are very mature and at least fifteen years old. You might be able to find something in it. Just don't assign it to your sixth-grade, eleven-year-old class like my teacher did.

Teen, 13 years old Written byKeeperoftheDoe August 10, 2017

An easy book about complex ideas

The reading level of this book is pretty easy. It's yet anther fun children's stories told by animals. What makes it different is the message it conveys. I the ned, if you pay attention, you can tel that Jack London, the author, is trying to tell us that we rare animals on the inside and will eventually be forced to give into our primitive instincts. There is plenty mention of death as the dogs are forced to struggle through a harsh winter. Some violence is also involved in the process of training the dogs. I found this book simple in appearance and format, but complex in meaning.