Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Cay

Powerful shipwreck story has anti-racism message.

Parent of a 11 year old Written byliznc August 1, 2010

Excellent story with a great lesson

I used this book in my 5th grade classroom and the students were riveted always begging for more. I love the transformation the characters go through. It has a great message for everyone.

Adult Written bydestinysucks May 11, 2012

Pretty Good

This book has a very good message for young adults. I think young children would find it boring but teens and adults would find it interesting. The cay shows that yo should not judge people by their race. It wasn't the best book I've ever read but I would recommend it.

Adult Written bylaxmaster9 August 30, 2010

Fantastic

parents get hung up in the fantasy world. this is a story about life. ans as long as your kids dont repeat the words that they are not aloud to speak of then it is fine. at one point in time you were naked. point blank this book helps with the real world and teaches positives.

Adult Written bysushime April 9, 2008

A very touching story!

I chose this book for my 8 year old son. He read it on his own, while i read it on my own at the same time. I was not sure if he would understand some of the "island" dialect, but as we discussed the book I found that he was not having a problem understanding. The dialect may be a problem for some 8 year olds to understand. My son really enjoyed this story, as did I. It shows how a person can overcome racism, reguardless of what their upbringing was. I wasn't even aware that racism was an issue in this book until we read it, and I was glad for my son to read it and discuss our feelings on the subject. Amidst the turmoil of getting capsized on the island, the young boy takes a blow to the head which renders him blind. The boy learns how to trust the old man, and they have to depend on each other as they only have each other on this tiny island. The old man teaches the boy everything he needs to know to survive on his own just in case. As the story moves on, it is clear there is a growing unconditional love between the two. I feel it is a great book for both child and parent, and if you can find the time to read it and discuss it with your child, DO IT! It is a very touching story that should be read.
Parent of a 15 year old Written bybobypoo March 4, 2010
Adult Written bysashapigg September 17, 2011

Loved it!

I read this book in school and I loved it! I'm going to get it for my 10 yr old and read it with him!

Adult Written byTina_ishe January 14, 2019

Racist and insulting

I dont really care what this book has at the end but reading the 1st few pages as a black mother I find it insulting. My son came back from school in tears after book been read in class and his friends called him Timothy because he is black and dark skinned. It referes to timony as Negro, stupid, smelly. I think at this time and age this book is not the right way to ebd racism, it instead encourages it.