Parent reviews for The Chocolate War

A kind of "Dangerous Liaisons" for teenagers.

Adult Written bysharons9 February 19, 2016

No point to this book

The poor kid gets beat up and mistreated again and again, with even the people who should have put a stop to this nonsense turning a blind eye. Don't even bother, unless you want your kid to have a real negative outlook on humanity. I had to force myself to muscle through this thing, hoping it would get better by the ending. It did not.

Adult Written byCarolen May 20, 2019

There's so much bad in the world, I don't understand a book that adds to it.

I guess I'm Sally Sunshine, but I don't care for books that are negative throughout. I didn't see anything redeeming in this book. Its message seems to be: Bullies gonna bully, and if you stand up to them you'll get beaten. Violence, manipulation, disrespect, unhappy kids and adults throughout the book. There's enough of that in the world, why do kids more of that? No thanks.

Adult Written bySug Nut May 6, 2019

I love this book and so will your 10 year old.

this is one of the best books I have ever read and I know your child will love it as much as i did, its such a good book I cant even express it.

Adult Written byCanada School T... October 29, 2018

An excellent way to introduce young people to heavy topics

This novel gets students who are just now no longer children to grapple with some heavy issues. It is a good introduction to difficult things, like bullying and tragedy. The novel is a classic tragedy: The protagonist does everything right, and tries his best, but ultimately loses, anyway. Anyone who thinks this novel is "anti-religious" is incorrect -- the only open atheist is the antagonist, and the religious authorities at the school vary between being villains, bullying victims, and sympathetic helpers. A religious school is just the backdrop -- although there are religious overtones, including of Jesus and his tragedy (in which he also tried to do "the right thing", and was persecuted and punished for it in front of the community, just like the protagonist). Those who think the book is "negative" need to give their heads a shake. This novel is about the realities of life, and how life is difficult, and sometimes tragic, and how we are not truly in control of our own destinies -- and sometimes, no matter how hard we try to do what is right, there are people out there who will try to bring you down... and sometimes, they win. This book is tremendous. Those who think it is "too controversial" in 2018 need to recognize that the book was controversial when it was published, in 1974. Forty-four years later, it is less controversial than any single episode of any TV show on after 9 P.M. on any given night. If you want to shield your teenager from the world, then oppose this book, I suppose. If you want to give your teen an interesting school read that makes them question their own values and think, then let them read it.

Parent of a 13-year-old Written byBarbwire0216 January 11, 2013

Catchy & appropriate as a symbol of the underlying battle over chocolate candy sells.

I think those parents that feel it is too mature for 13-15yr olds are out of touch w/the world. Just because you don't read about it, doesn't mean it's not going on all around our teens. To face it & talk about it is much better than peer presure.

Adult Written byOthello48 April 26, 2010

Parent of a 10-year-old Written bysabrina1234 April 18, 2010
i hate it toooo sexual

Parent of a 4, 8, 10, 12, and 15-year-old Written byinspiredby February 24, 2010

For Adults not children

Well written but way too much language. I wouldn't want my children to read this.

Parent of a 13-year-old Written bykissleb February 24, 2010

An 8th grade review

We enjoyed the beginning and middle, but the end was a disappointment. This book should be read in school or at home when discussions can be had and content explained.

Parent of a 10-year-old Written byjharri02 November 17, 2009

Parents get involved

Parents should read the book first then have discussions about issues - sex, bullying, etc.

Adult Written byfr0stedshad0w April 9, 2008
Adult Written bybaybayroop April 9, 2008
Adult Written bymoviemadness April 9, 2008

Classic Tale

Violence, sex, and a manipulative priest makes this more suitable for 14+. Good book. Religious parents should know that religion is protrayed as dangerous.