All teen and kid member reviews for The City of Ember

Teen, 13 years old Written byMegan Hall November 21, 2009

better for grade 5-7

i'm 13, and had to read it for school, not age appropriate for my age group, better for 8-11 year olds
Teen, 13 years old Written byimfine29 June 18, 2010

great and interesting for any reader

i am 13, i read this book when i was in 4th grade. My 3rd grade teacher actually read this book to our class. i really think that this is a good book, it is so unpredictable and addicting! i love this book. it is a very interesting book and a very good read.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMysterious_ballerina January 29, 2011

Great! Mystery/Sci-fi

Ohmigawd this book is so good it's kind of for litteler kids but it's good though parts are sad since the place is poor and foods like pinapples aren't around anymore. VERY VERY GOOD! Must Read great if you like mystery not to sci-fi :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byUseursense December 5, 2013

BORING! (Yawn)

Ok... This is one of the books with a good plot, BUT I SIMPLY COULD NOT READ IT. I wish it was told in the first person view, instead of third person. I wish that the characters were older. I only got fifty pages in and I was B-O-R-E-D
Teen, 13 years old Written byericaxo818 November 14, 2010

Much Better than The Giver

Best book I've ever read! It shows that when kids put their minds to it, they can solve any problem or discover anything. You don't have to be an adult to make a difference. I've read The Giver and it is a little disturbing. I read it as a teen and it really creeped me out. The ending left me hanging. The City of Ember has a great ending, an amazing story line, and a fantastic visual description. It is a must read!
Teen, 17 years old Written bymjett5577 June 24, 2016

Great middle grade dystopia/fantasy read

Summary: Many hundreds of years ago, the city of Ember was created by the Builders to contain everything needed for human survival. It worked…but now the storerooms are almost out of food, crops are blighted, corruption is spreading through the city and worst of all—the lights are failing. Soon Ember could be engulfed by darkness… But when two children, Lina and Doon, discover fragments of an ancient parchment, they begin to wonder if there could be a way out of Ember. Can they decipher the words from long ago and find a new future for everyone? Will the people of Ember listen to them? Plot: I thoroughly enjoyed this plot. From the start, I was drawn in by their world and fascinated with the dystopian elements. Thankfully, there actually wasn't violence or action, but the story was still complete without it. The whole mystery had me sucked in and I couldn't put it down. Writing: I really like Jeanne DuPrau's writing. It was well done, and I was never disappointed. it flowed onto the page and is easily read, but is complex at the same time. Characters: For the most part, I liked Lina and Doon. They had their flaws but were also great characters in many ways. There was death, but I found that there wasn't all that much grief. That's what really bothers me in books. Ending: Talk about a cliffhanger!!! I was very satisfied with the ending, though. The story wrapped up perfectly, but left people wanting more of the story. Overall: I'm so glad I read this amazing book. I will be picking up the next one very soon, and hope to enjoy it as much as I did this book. Recommendations: There wasn't any action or violence, but it was still a great story without it. I would say 4th+ because any younger wouldn't appreciate the story like middle graders would.
Kid, 12 years old August 28, 2013

Just Just

Just a basic book
Teen, 14 years old Written byavidcritc January 28, 2009

reviews are way too generous

I found the book kinda dull, to tell the truth. The premise is sort of intriguing, but the way the author handled it gives off a sort of 'been-there-done-that-in-every-sci-fi-future-book-i've ever-read' feeling. It's an okay read, but there's nothing about it that would make it stand out, and the next books do nothing to redeem it.
Teen, 16 years old Written bybayleighS April 18, 2016

City of Ember Book(s)

I am 16 almost 17, and I can still vaguely remember reading this book in the 2nd or 3rd grade but, then I reread it in 5th grade for a book report and I loved it. This is a great book for students and any young child who likes sci-fi or dystopian novels. I like dystopian books like, The Giver series, Divergent series, Hunger games series, etc. This is an amazing book for children and young teens.
Teen, 15 years old Written bygossipgirl7748 February 15, 2016

the best book of suspense

I have to admit, I wasn't really looking forward to reading this book but then that changed. This book is amazing and I cannot wait to read the next book called: The City Of Sparks.
Kid, 11 years old June 4, 2014

great great great!!

the most amazing book in the world!
Kid, 10 years old March 17, 2012

I still havent finished yet!

its really good! i love it! i heard it was made into a movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byallyra99 July 6, 2010

Great

Aweeeeesome.Lot's of suspense.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMaddza April 9, 2016
I think the character development was great and that it was quite suspenseful
Kid, 10 years old April 3, 2013

Amazing!

I really loved this book! It's great for kids and very appropriate. It's a little boring in the beginning, I only recommend it for passionate readers, who will follow the book till the end. The ending was beautiful and wonderfully wrapped.
Kid, 12 years old November 15, 2012

Ember: A great book that might need to change a few lightbulbs

THE CITY OF EMBER, despite some noticeable missteps, is probably one of the most engrossing science fiction books out there. I like to think of the book's elemental value as a salad bowl: EMBER's storyline, the most noticeable part, is what I like to classify as lettuce. Its characters, characteristics, and characterization is what I like to classify as carrot slices. Its biggest flaws are what I like to classify as the tomato--unexpected, comes out of nowhere, and really shouldn't be there. And its small but sweet dashes of comedy are what I classify as bacon bits. Hopefully you comprehend all that and feel the same way.
Teen, 17 years old Written bySmiley Face123 October 7, 2012

City of Ember

This is what I think... :-) ← this expression explains everything!!
Kid, 10 years old May 8, 2012

defenintly a go get!

I read ember and I looooooved it!!!! I cant wait to read the next book!!!!!! Kind of scary and suspensful, but even a piky reader has to like it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byGretelShea August 25, 2016

Nice little adventure

This book has a neat storyline and is enjoyable for all ages. A good book to read to your child before bed.
Teen, 13 years old Written byidb123 July 6, 2016

Appropriate for most everyone!

The City of Ember was a good book in the sense that it was appropriate for all ages. It is the perfect book for kids who want to read something different from all of the other books they've read, or for a teenager who just wants something clean and full of positiveness, or even for adults. The reason I said 7+ is because it might be difficult for younger children to read. In all, this book was full of mystery and was pretty satisfying.