Kid reviews for The Crucible

Powerful play about Salem witch trials a riveting read.

Teen, 14 years old Written byAllegraChanton September 17, 2019

Great book

The characters are absolutely amazing! This was a great book to read in class as an eighth grader. Throughout our reading time and afterward, you could hear accusations throughout the school of "I saw Jane Doe with the devil!" and "The bird! The devil!" and "You're reading a book that isn't the Bible! You're a WITCH!"

Teen, 16 years old Written byNate_Dawg July 1, 2018

A Good Book That Depicts Very Real Issues

This book dwells heavily on religion and witchcraft. The plot is driven by an affair gone south between the two main characters. Due to this relationship going south, one of the characters blames a bunch of people for witchcraft including her Ex-lover and his wife. This book also deals with people being killed by the towns government in ways such as hanging and being crushed by rocks.

Teen, 13 years old Written byAda Lewsi April 19, 2018

A fantastic read

I really recommend reading this book for it provides the truly fascinating but also chilling truth about the consequences of a seemingly small action, and the affects it can have on people.

Teen, 16 years old Written byKB_theBookworm January 21, 2018

Educational Value

I think that this a good play for learning about McCarthyism and extent of a mass hysteria. It shows how something so small can grow into something so big. I like how both Elizabeth and John Proctor grow as characters, and move past their challenges of marriage. This play is one that tests morality and unity within a Puritan village.

Teen, 13 years old Written byTwistle December 11, 2017

Ages 13 And Up

As a student and having just finished the book in class, I say this; although themes of sex and some foul language are present, the overall plot of the book is not one completely inappropriate for children. Children anywhere from 13 and up should be fine with this book, in my opinion, and it's a great story worth reading.

Teen, 13 years old Written byKeeperoftheDoe August 10, 2017

An chilling, suspenseful story, but age rating depends on religious views

I found this quick to read but really interesting. It is a suspenseful tale and enjoyable to read. The what age you should be to read it really depends on your religion views. I do not believe or support witchcraft, but I had no problem reading this, due to it's educational value and my personal feelings on the subject. Some parents may not want their kids to read about this topic at younger age because it could be scary, while others may not appreciate the religious views and concepts supported.

Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 June 9, 2013

A true classic, resounds today

While its strongest parallels are with the McCarthy trials, this book can easily be put up against what happened to Middle Eastern people post 9/11, and other events in history. It's a brilliant account of a town gone mad believing that everyone else has gone mad, when people are drunk with the power of finger pointing and blaming for the sake of not having the spotlight shown on them. I had to read it for my 11th grade English class, but you should read it for its effect on you.

Kid, 12 years old February 25, 2012

Beautiful; A classic

One of the greatest books ever written