Parent reviews for The Da Vinci Code

Complex, violent thriller has controversial Jesus theory.

Wondering if The Da Vinci Code is OK for your kids?

Parents: Set preferences and get age-appropriate recommendations.

Join Plus now

Adult Written bythecoffeemaster February 9, 2017

BEST BOOK EVER!!!

This book is amazing! One of Dan Brown's best novels, though due to some violence it's not appropriate for kids.

Adult Written byN.Kindred January 21, 2015

great

This was thought provoking and thrilling! Loved the fast pace and mystery.

Adult Written bySkip89 June 20, 2019

Great book, mature teens and older

This is a great fictional murder mystery book. As an adult, I really enjoyed the book and recommend to anyone who enjoys murder mystery. It is fast moving, captivating action mystery that I could not put the book down. But now as a parent of advanced reading tween and teen, I hesitate to recommend to young readers.

It has graphic descriptions of murder scenes, ritualistic sex, cult rituals, corporal self-punishments, etc, which I would be very cautious about offering to young teens.

It has some cultish information on anti-Christian theories and views that may be very objectionable to people who are religious, and some other religious cult presence that are presented as facts (it took me some digging as an adult to figure out it's a sensationalized theory) so one needs to understand what is presented is fiction with some theory, and not a fact.

So until the reader is mature enough to get over those issues (or at least exposed to sex and violence depictions and are blasé about it), I would not recommend to teens younger than 17.

If you have read it before offering the book to a capable teen, well, you know what is on there. But if you have not read it yourself, consider reading it (it really is an entertaining book) before you offer it to a minor so you can decide for yourself if it is appropriate for them.

Adult Written byLekshmi A. March 4, 2018

Adult Written byMagmo74 August 28, 2012

Beware...warning to parents

This book contains fairly graphic descriptions of sex acts as well as ritualistic torture scenes. I think that it would be very confusing to someone who is not grounded in their faith. Although it is a fiction book, it is presented as fact and will cause many to question their beliefs and what they have been taught about God. The book is very much anti-Christianity, basically saying that it is all a lie made up by the Catholic church to maintain order and power. These things are presented as facts and will confuse most people who are not well educated in this area.

Adult Written bytrolololoderp May 18, 2012

Great book, be aware of the content in the subject of the novel and don't misjudge

Content-wise: mature kids only. Being solidly established in my own spirituality, the themes in this book (regarding Mary and the sacred feminine) didn't ruffle me. Proceed with caution. Know that you may need to explain the context of the book to your kid(s) and that the novel's plot is centred around a very controversial topic.
Now, what I thought of the book: Loved it. I adore a good mystery. This incorporated elements of 'conspiracy theory,' satisfying those 'what-if' thoughts with its racing plot. Without delving into literary criticism, I thought this was really well-written. Dan Brown had me hooked from page one, and I thought it was clever how he incorporated nuances here and there, such as the angry Monsieur "Fache" (French for "angry"). A great book with more depth than your average leisure read. Definitely, definitely recommend.

Parent of a 17-year-old Written byBro.Chad December 25, 2010

Parent of a 11-year-old Written bystinkysmom March 28, 2010

good but bad

My 11 year old son read it and thought it was fantastic! He said it was his fave book besides wimpy kid, the only problem was that is was a bit violent. One of the main "bad guys" wore a belt with spikes on it to feel the pain Jesus felt and was many murders and betrayal.

Adult Written bynerdstotallyrock January 16, 2010

Totally dependent on your "maturity" level

I loved this novel! It was so incredibly well researched and I have to say it does make logical sense if you are willing to set aside the fanatic religious views and give it a chance. Really, a great book!

Adult Written byCuriousGerbil October 28, 2009

Great book as long as you recognize that it is fiction.

This is an extremely well written and researched thriller. Some complained that it was anti-catholic, but it is simply a work of fiction. You can't believe everything in it. It is not a history textbook. That having been said this is an excellent book. Not quite as good as "Angels and Demons", and not nearly as good as Dan Brown's latest "The Lost Symbol", but still a great read.

Parent Written bywhateverfloats September 14, 2009
Adult Written bymoviemadness December 31, 2008

Excellent Book, but Not for Kids

The Da Vinci Code is a gripping page-turner filled with deception, intrigue, history lessons, and some fascinating puzzles. I was shocked to hear kids as young as twelve talking about reading it and its companion, Angels and Demons. While the content is appropriate for readers over the age of thirteen, the complexity of the story makes it suitable for only 16+. Wait and have your kids read it then, they will understand and appreciate it more.
Adult Written byG3 April 9, 2008
Adult Written bythewittyman27 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byschmosa33 April 9, 2008

a great book for kids and adults

Adult Written bydan-ee-chuk April 9, 2008
Adult Written byOut-Of-Sight April 9, 2008

Its Fine!

I do not know what the big hype about this book is (concerning violence and religion issues) understand what is real and what is fiction its fine. Also, I would strongly suggest that you read it beforehand, so you can inquire about what part your child is at and open a conversation. Its also good to reinforce at every conversation that this novel is only a book, only fiction. If you're concerned with violence don't let them read it until they have seen a 14 A movie. Otherwise, Enjoy the good read!
Adult Written bysss April 9, 2008

ok for 18 and up

great book for adults.
Adult Written byfr0stedshad0w April 9, 2008
Adult Written bylashleyfan2992 April 9, 2008

awesome book

don't take this book as a threat to your religion you just like the author should voice your opinon the author was brave enough to put his out for the whole world to see so why don't be scared to put ur opinion out there read the book overall this book is just how the title implies awesome